Ovens.... gas or electric?

JohnR

« on: 13 Mar 2005, 01:48 pm »
Um....  :oops:  since we seem to be talking about appliances, does anyone have any strong preferences for gas or electric ovens, and why? I am about to buy a new stove (cooktop and oven in one unit) -- the cooktop is going to be gas, I know that much. However I have a choice about whether the oven is gas or electric.

People say:

* Gas cooks food moister
* Electric gives more even heat
* Gas is more ecologically efficient

Any personal experience to share... ?

ay yi

Gordy

« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2005, 01:58 pm »
Oh no, not you too!!!   Gas!  I've always preferred the adjustability of gas ranges.   With the electrics I've had I was locked into 5 or 6 settings.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2005, 02:42 pm »
When I worked as a food photographer, the cook always told me she preferred gas because it has less variance from the selected temperature.  She said that electric waits longer to heat the oven back up to the proper temperature and then overshoots it by a wide margin.  So, if you set it to 350F, the electric lets it get to 340 then heats to 360.  

Whereas with gas, it only lets it fall a few degrees and doesn't overshoot as much because the gas is immediately hot (flame) and then immediately cool when it's off.  This is essentially the same kind of control I like about the range/burners so I could relate.  She'd clearly thought more about than me but ever since I've decided to get a gas oven next time I have to buy one.

I have electric now and I hate it because the range and oven are both electric.  We installed gas lines when we moved into our house intending to upgrade to full gas as soon as we could redo the kitchen.

Gas.  It kicks ass. ;)

jcoat007

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2005, 02:46 pm »
Gas for the stove, for sure.

For the oven I prefer electric if it is a convection.  Once you go convection you never go back.

Jay S

« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2005, 03:01 pm »
Electric stoves look much neater but I feel it is harder to control the temp...

drunkonjack

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2005, 03:12 pm »
GAS..............all the way  :)

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2005, 03:45 pm »
Having had a gas oven blow up in my face..........I definately prefer electric! BTW, I've been a baker for 25 years.

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2005, 03:54 pm »
ok i might be time for a suzy homemaker forum for you girly men-washers dryers first
vacumes and stoves now- were does it stop :?: pots and pans,dishwashers matched dishes :?:
stop the madness before its too late and your panzy ass kootie bugs start getting on everyone :rotflmao:

gonefishin

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2005, 03:56 pm »
Hi John,

I prefer a gas cook-top and a good electric convection.  The problem that I've had with cheaper convection ovens is the horrible hot spots that they could create...which could really do damage when cooking larger roasts or poultry.

Don't forget that you can get duel fuel in many brands too.  Gas cook-top with an electric/convection oven.

cheftalkcafe may not have a ton of traffic...but it is a nice cooking discussion group.  Take a look around and voice any concerns you may have about each fuel source.

oh, if you have the ability to add a good ventilation system, do so.  

good luck!

dan

gonefishin

« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2005, 03:58 pm »
Quote from: rosconey
ok i might be time for a suzy homemaker forum for you girly men-washers dryers first
vacumes and stoves now- were does it stop :?: pots and pans,dishwashers matched dishes :?:
stop the madness before its too late and your panzy ass kootie bugs start getting on everyone :rotflmao:

Ahhh cool...time to talk about pots and pans  :P

Has anyone got any suggestions on a reasonably priced mandolin?
    :oops: (did I just ask that out loud)

:wink:

dan

zachslc

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2005, 05:18 pm »
I am glad I am not the only one who appreciates both audophilia and the culinary arts.

shokunin

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2005, 05:31 pm »
I have an all gas range, but my parents went with dual-fuel gas/electric convection.  If you have 240v by the kitchen, I'd say go with dual-fuel as a true convection with the extra heating element and fan seems to cook better at my parents house.  Then again, my mom is a much better cook than I am    :lol:

I did not have 240v in my kitchen and the cost of adding one threw the dual-fuel out.

DeadFish

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2005, 05:55 pm »
Gotta chime in here.
Have owned a Jenn-Aire for 'bout 15 years and *really* like the convection oven over anything I have tried or what friend's have.
In its place, great baking, and makes things done a little more thoroughly, and sometimes quicker. (Experimentation furthers on this point.)
The quality is excellent with good insulation and seal.
Stovewise, my unit is when they only made all-electric.
I've never owned gas, but have lusted after it for the sake of 'instant on' and 'instant off', meaning, you don't have to worry about putting your hand or the kitty on a burner that was on 5 minutes ago.
Third point to my stove I would like to make is that downdraft exhaust fan built into it.  Helps a lot better than the range hood that Mom used to have.
Hope this helps.
Nothing is more enjoyable when you *have* to cook than 'tools' that make it not so unpleasant as gramma had stoking the thing with wood and cast iron.  
If one is single, some 'dates' think it sexy when a guy has thought out his kitchen.  :wink:
Happy choosing, and I don't care who thinks this homemaker stuff is 'sissy', buying great home products is as much of a challenge as buying great hifi, and gives the 'womins' more inclination to play with our toys, when we have provided some decent ones for them to play with.

Now, where did I put my apron?
 :D
Regards,
DeadFish

bubba966

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2005, 06:13 pm »
Gas for the cooktop & electric for the oven (electric convection is even better :mrgreen: ) is the way to go for all of the reasons that've already been mentioned.

I've even seen a really nice gas cooktop with dual over/under ovens. One was electric, the other was electric convection. Probably a spendy little bastard, but damn it'd be nice to have...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2005, 09:36 pm »
I'd have to say that in my experience it doesn't matter that awful much with ovens.  The evenness of cooking will depend more upon keeping it clean that what type of energy generates the heat.  You can further improve temp regulation by keeping pizza stones in the oven.  I will say that if you can afford a top of the line convenction model, that's definately the way to go- you'll get faster, more even cooking and much better browning.

Yes, gas for the range top is a given.  Electric sucks the big one for cook tops! :flak:

Marbles

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2005, 10:14 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock

Yes, gas for the range top is a given.  Electric sucks the big one for cook tops! :flak:

Rob,

While I agree that gas gives much quicker response, electric does have some advantages.  For one, the FLAT cooktop makes cleaning them pretty easy.  For another, haveing a flat top increases your counter top space if the cooktop is not being used for cooking.

We have on of the GE Profile ones:  http://products.geappliances.com/ProdContent/Dispatcher?REQUEST=GEAPRODUCTRESULTS&BRAND=Profile&CATEGORY=Cooking%20Products_Electric%20Cooking_Cooktops
and one of the burners is Halogen heated.  This comes up to temp VERY quickly.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2005, 03:05 am »
Gas stoves normally break down for pretty easy cleaning.  I find gas so much better for the cooktop- yes, the speed of temperature response is much better, but also the degree of fine control is infinitely superior to electric.  It's almost impossible to get a specific amount of heat with anything but gas.  Lastly, I love the extreme high heat of gas vs electric (again, depending upon the BTU rating).

I'm of course biased, having used gas professionally for years in my life as a chef.  You just get used to having the superior tools for the job, and it makes going back to electric pretty depressing. :lol:

Marbles

« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2005, 03:35 am »

I'm of course biased, having used gas professionally for years in my life as a chef.   ...

Yeah, I was a "chef" for two summers back in college....I don't think I want to make too many more eggs, and my kids know how to make hash browns :-)

A Short Order cook in a breakfast joint is OK for a while, but pretty soon those 5:00AM openings get old........

Work till 12:00 noon, go home and sleep for 6 hours..go out and party until 12:00 midnight, get up at 4:30AM...rinse and repeat...  

Yeah, gas is better for cooking on a stovetop, no question...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2005, 04:49 am »
Quote from: Marbles

I'm of course biased, having used gas professionally for years in my life as a chef.   ...

Yeah, I was a "chef" for two summers back in college....I don't think I want to make too many more eggs, and my kids know how to make hash browns :-)

A Short Order cook in a breakfast joint is OK for a while, but pretty soon those 5:00AM openings get old........

Work till 12:00 noon, go home and sleep for 6 hours..go out and party until 12:00 midnight, get up at 4:30AM...rinse and repeat...  

Yeah, gas is better for cooking on a stovetop, no question...

That's great! :lol:   Yeah, when I managed a hotel kitchen a few years back I came in at 5:30 a.m. every day.  Yes, it sucked in a way, but I really had most of the partying out of my system by then.  I'd come home around 3:00, maybe catch a 15 minute cat nap, then have the rest of my day free.  True, I usually turned in by 9:30 p.m., but I got used to it.  The downside is that often my days went from 5:30 a.m. right up til midnite. :x   Such is the life of a hotel chef...

tex-amp

« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2005, 01:53 pm »
As a chef, I'll take gas cooktop and an electric convection oven for the home.  At work a gas convection oven please. I keep a large baking stone in my home electric convection oven at all times.  I personally think that helps a lot with temp. regulation.