X-Statik Flatpacks

zoso124

X-Statik Flatpacks
« on: 24 Apr 2020, 04:25 pm »
Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever offered X-Statik flatpacks?

I think I can build them, I just don't have a router.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: X-Statik Flatpacks
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2020, 05:30 pm »
Hi Guys,

Not that I’m aware of.

You don’t need a big router for these but you do need a plunge base.

zoso124

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2020, 08:46 pm »
Thanks, I assume that's needed for the tweeter cut out?

Is it possible to use a solid piece of the wood for the front? Or is there too much risk in it expanded and contracting?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 26 Apr 2020, 03:17 pm »
Thanks, I assume that's needed for the tweeter cut out?

Is it possible to use a solid piece of the wood for the front? Or is there too much risk in it expanded and contracting?

Use a router to make all the circle cuts.

And you can get away with some solid wood if you bind it with a layer of MDF. Otherwise it does expand and contract pretty badly. It can warp sometimes too. And it tends to ring.

zoso124

« Reply #4 on: 26 Apr 2020, 09:57 pm »
Thanks Danny. I heard that the front panel was "bolted" to the box. Was that just for aesthetics ?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2020, 10:53 pm »
I recognize the head on the AV123 models as a barrel bolt & nut. Very strong and fairly quick way to attach a cantilevered baffle like that.

https://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=302762&gshop&gclid=CjwKCAjw4pT1BRBUEiwAm5QuR6-0jwebySiOZ_slf3nmeZz3MbsHhnHTVdmU_ISquUU8nJ3By_PcfhoCSjcQAvD_BwE

Tlesnau@me.com

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jun 2020, 08:53 pm »
i found a guy in muskegon,MI who has a small business out of his garage and a full-blown 4X8, programmable CNC machine.   He programmed and cut my X-Statik's. MI Rout LLC, Tracy Quasebarth at 231-215-2257.  Give him a call... he may be able to help.

I am looking for ideas on how to make the base removable for easy network access.

Tony

diyman

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2020, 05:08 am »
Hi Guys,

You'll need to make about a $225 to $250 investment for a router, circle guide, and bit.  You can get the Makita RT0701C Compact Router that includes both a fixed and a plunge base for $150.  The Dewalt and Bosch comparable kits are about $20 more.

Then you'll need a Jasper Tools 200 or 240 circle guide for another $40 or $50, respectively.  And finally, a 1/4" spiral router bit for about $20 to $40 depending on brand and quality.  Add a little more for tax and shipping as necessary.

That's the minimum to cut holes.  If you want to cut a recess for the driver flange to mount flush with the baffle, or to round over the back of the driver holes, you'll need some additional router bits.

Not trying to scare you away.  I think it's a sound investment if you are going to make other things or additional speakers as well.

jcsperson

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2020, 02:02 pm »
I'm starting to think I could start a little side business making cabinets for people in my area.

diyman

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2020, 06:58 pm »
I'm starting to think I could start a little side business making cabinets for people in my area.

What other equipment do you have?  Table saw, etc.