suggest good satellites for my room please

DoodleBoy

« on: 12 Jan 2004, 07:01 am »
I am looking for small satellite speakers to use for my HT in a room that already has main speakers for music.  The reason I want small speakers is for aesthetics.  It would look bad if I have two sets of mains from different brands in front with the rear projector.  It will look cramped.  Thus I am looking for Gallo sized speakers and asking if there are other brands with the same satellite size speakers.  Plsu of course a sub.

My room is fairly big 21” x 21”  hope the speakers can fill the room at least for HT.  I will be driving them with either a Rotel or Denon receiver.

Thanks,

ABEX

« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2004, 09:48 am »
How much you wanna spend?

ABEX

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2004, 09:48 am »
I'd get Wilsons!

Andrew JC

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2004, 11:45 am »
DoodleBoy, I'm in the same boat as you but for slightly different reasons. I'm looking at the following: Creative Sound's SuperElf, RAD Micros, or maybe Athena's Point 5MKII speakers. All of these are "budget" priced speakers. You may have deeper pockets than me. I'm in the middle of buying and selling a home. So right now I don't have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out  :o

DoodleBoy

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jan 2004, 05:32 pm »
My budget is around 1,500...

Andrew JC

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jan 2004, 06:39 pm »
I would contact Brian Bunge, he should be able to help you out.

bubba966

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jan 2004, 07:40 pm »
If these are small enough, It's what I'd go for http://www.mksound.com/ss150.html

Should be able to pick up a new pair for $1,200

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2004, 07:50 pm »
Bubba,

I agree but they are tripole and he might not need that(who doesn't need tripole??).

To go cheaper and save some cash look at the M&K's S-85's. They are a great little speaker. These are very musical and do great as a front or surround speaker. This to me is the most over looked speaker of all time. I have them in a 5.1 array in a small den but they could handle a room that was much bigger. They sound great with Holly Cole etc and when a movie comes on with rain or glass breaking...we all turn out heads or look outside.

If you get them used ask if they can be changed from german to british stlye speaker by the back binding post. They older version let you do this and you get two sounding speaker in one cabinet. The newer versions (1999) or so don't have this option.

Good Luck

Larry

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2004, 07:56 pm »
I've got the S-85's as rears myself. While the S-85's are great direct radiating rear speakers, I've found that I much prefer M&K's tripoles for rear speaker applications.

Any of M&K's tripoles that I've heard are excellent rears. Be it the very little K4 or the SS-55's, or the SS-150's.

The one bad thing about the S-85's right now is that they've been discontinued. So you're not likely to find a new pair. The price on them new was $800 a pair. So as Larry mentioned they'd be a good bit cheaper than SS-150's.

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2004, 08:02 pm »
Bubba,re

I just checked . I did not know that they were D/C'd.   :cry:

I agree any of the tripoles that you mention would work great.

Larry

bubba966

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2004, 08:19 pm »
Quote from: lkosova
Bubba,re

I just checked . I did not know that they were D/C'd.   :cry:

I agree any of the tripoles that you mention would work great.

Larry

Yeah, it's a shame that the S-85's (and the S-125's) have been D/C'd...

While any of the three Tripoles I mentioned work work fine, I'd go for the SS-150's if they weren't too big. Especially if the budget was $1,500.

But I'm actually very impressed with even the tiny little K4's. For their size they put out a decent amount of volume. A friend of mine has a pair in a similar sized setup (15' x 20' or so if I recall) and they work fairly well in such a room.