Denon Differences?

vektro

Denon Differences?
« on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:27 am »
Anyone know just what the 3803 has over the 2803? Looks like all the processing is about the same, is it just more power? i am looking to use one of these for a pre/pro only with external amps, so if it's just really a power difference, I'll go with the 2803. Is the 3803 worth the extra $$$?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Denon Differences?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2003, 02:58 am »
The 3803 has more inputs and features than the 2803.  Firstly, it has more digital inputs, and discrete power supplies for the analog and digital sections.  It also has more powerful amps.

The 3803 is more technically advanced, too, and adds ALPHA 24 processing (basically an upsampler) for digital sources.  One bonus is feature the 38' adds over the 28' is 0.5 dB steps for the volume.  It also allows a digital delay feature to synch the sound to the picture for video (a common problem with video sources that include line doublers and other video processing is that you sometimes get delays, where the lips of actors are out of synch with the voices.).

Lastly, the 3803 also will upconvert all video sources to component video, which can be really convenient.  It allows you to connect your TV or projector with just one set of cables.

You might want to check out http://www.denon.com for more detailed info on the differences between the two models.

vektro

Denon Differences
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2003, 04:26 am »
Thanks for the info. Been also looking at Pioneer Elite vsx-43tx. Seems to have some nice processing features. Again amps don't really matter, just trying to get a decent processor for a reasonable price. I eventually will get a nice 2-channel for music.

bob82274

Denon Differences?
« Reply #3 on: 19 Nov 2003, 08:44 pm »
Ok this applies to the older model 2802 and 3802... but when I was listening to the different receivers the biggest differences for me was that I found that the 3802 was quieter noise wise.  Don't know if the difference is as big in the new models but it was large enough for me to spend that extra money and get the 3802.  To say the least I'v been happy with it (all except the remote but that is a totally different issue).

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Denon Differences?
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2003, 08:46 pm »
Hmmm...I really love the 3802 remote.  What don't you like about it?  I realize a lot of people complain about it, but I honestly can't see why.

bob82274

Denon Differences?
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2003, 05:35 am »
Its not that bad really buttojn wise... my biggest complaint is its off axis response when trying to send a command...  I do love that it is truly a learning remote though.  Every remote should have that feature.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Denon Differences?
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2003, 05:39 am »
It does have a powerful emitter, though.  You can bounce it off of things.  Guess I never much noticed it has a limited angle.  No remote is as bad in that respect as the remote Pioneer includes with the DV-45A.

vektro

Denon Differences
« Reply #7 on: 25 Nov 2003, 03:34 am »
Thanks for all the help. Finally decided to order the 3803. Super deal at 6th ave. ! Apparantly, they were out of stock ont 3802 and are offering to replace it with the 3803 for the same price. Got it for $648!! (plus 6cts shipping)!! What a deal!! :D

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Denon Differences?
« Reply #8 on: 25 Nov 2003, 03:40 am »
Wow!  That is a good deal.  I may have to check it out, too.

Captain Humble

Denon Differences?
« Reply #9 on: 8 Dec 2003, 11:45 pm »
Rob & Bob,
Since you guys have experience with the 3802 I've got a question for you.  I am considering buying a good preamp with HT passthrough for two channel.  Assuming I bought a Tempest or IRD do you think I would hear a noticable difference between that and the Denon preamp section?
Thanks.
Jeff

Marbles

Denon Differences?
« Reply #10 on: 9 Dec 2003, 12:02 am »
Quote from: Captain Humble
Rob & Bob,
Since you guys have experience with the 3802 I've got a question for you.  I am considering buying a good preamp with HT passthrough for two channel.  Assuming I bought a Tempest or IRD do you think I would hear a noticable difference between that and the Denon preamp section?
Thanks.
Jeff

Yes