Hawthorne OB compared to Magnepan?

drphoto

Hawthorne OB compared to Magnepan?
« on: 18 Aug 2007, 03:26 am »
I used to have Maggies (modded 2c's) I love their soundstage effect, but hated the limited dynamics. (that old model was limited in frequency response too.....the newer models are better there)

Would an OB like the Hawthorne give me the Maggie 'effect' w/ better dynamics?

As everything is a trade off....my priorities are tone, then soundstage. I can live w/ out the last word in detail.

Always thought Maggies did well w/ acoustic jazz .....but can't handle rock. Like to have both. (gotta get my metal on once and awhile!)

dweekie

Re: Hawthorne OB compared to Magnepan?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2007, 02:24 am »
There are a couple Maggie to Hawthorne users on the Hawthorne forums.  A search will give you the results.  Here's an example:

http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12373&highlight=magnepan#12373

It may be a bit biased since people generally join manufacture forums only if they are pleased with the product (me included), but I haven't seen many negative reviews of Hawthornes anywhere.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2007, 12:25 pm »
It may be a bit biased since people generally join manufacture forums only if they are pleased with the product (me included), but I haven't seen many negative reviews of Hawthornes anywhere.
:lol: Ditto, me either!  :thumb:

Bob

emac

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2007, 02:29 pm »
My opinion may not mean much since I'm still somewhat of a newbie to audio, but I've heard the Maggies (can't remember which model) and own the SI's.  While I liked the precision of the Maggies, the bass was lacking and they really don't project well outside of a limited sweet spot.  The SI's, on the other hand, are a completely different story.  Mine have a wide sweet spot, throw a very large sound stage, and beats hit better than they ever have before.  And the SI's are not power savages like the Maggies.  Mine are running on a Super T amp with ease.  Definitely a keeper. 

stereogeek

« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2007, 10:58 am »
I own the SI's too and could give you another biased opinion.You could look at it another way,the price for a pair of SI's is a drop in the bucket compared to the Maggies.If you don't like them,you could resell them on the Hawthorne Audio Forum site and recoup 90% of your losses.If you take the plunge,I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Steve :D

P.S.If you want an opinion on dynamics,the classic hard rock channel on Sirius was sounding pretty good yesterday!!! aa

Sarchi

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2007, 04:13 pm »
And the SI's are not power savages like the Maggies.  Mine are running on a Super T amp with ease. 

I think this is the key point.  I built my SI-15's a few weeks ago and am also running them with a Super T - using an active sub via line level.  The speakers are breaking in but they sound amazingly good.....these are really special.

I've owned many different high end speakers including Lowther, Coincident, Soundlab, and Maggies (I had SMGc's, my stepdad had some early MG-II's).  I think if you are already speaker-fixated on Maggies and you've invested in a bunch of huge Bryston amps, it may not be that simple to 'switch'.  This is a whole different ball game, flea power and sensitive speakers have a particular magic..and OB's take that to another level.

samplesj

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2007, 04:46 pm »

Both are dipole so I think both are fair game for this forum.

Everyone might want to be more specific when referencing Maggies.  There isn't just a single speaker in the line and there are fairly significant differences between different models (true ribbon vs quasi, size of woofer panel, push-pull magnets).   There is also a range of costs.  Someone mentioned that SI was just a drop in a bucket, and while that may be true when comparing 20.1 to the 15" SI, other maggies are closer in price ($550 MMG vs $290 for SI).  That is only $250 and parts (and labor if you don't DIY) might chew a lot of that difference (and of course used speakers are always cheaper).

I actually looked at the SI for the game room where I was going to drive them with a 300b amp and was seriously considering them, but I was just looking for high efficency not necessarily OB and ran across someone selling some of Ed's horns before I pulled the trigger.

Off Topic:
P.S.If you want an opinion on dynamics,the classic hard rock channel on Sirius was sounding pretty good yesterday!!! aa
Sat Radio sounding good???????   Seriously has it gotten any better recently?  Its been around 2 years since I checked it out.  The variety was AWESOME, but the SQ was just NOT there.  I had both services for a month and neither was even remotely close to even CD quality.

bbchem

« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2007, 09:00 pm »
  :roll: I am new to speaker building and would like to know if someone could give me some help in building a pair of OBs with the Hawthorne drivers. I would love if someone could sell and build me cabinets, and then I cold install the drivers with some direction

Thanks, Bill    :thumb:

P.S.  I currently own Horn Shoppe Horns, Omega Super 3 Alnicos and Maggie MMGs.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 18 Sep 2007, 09:23 pm »
I'll give lots of helpful advise regarding the Hawthorne drivers (PM me), or better yet, join in the club:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/index.php

Not interested in building something for others as my woodworking skills are not "sellable" enough (IMO).
Soon, I'll be building new baffles for my drivers and my existing baffles will be useless. (They'd be "solo's" though).
If you're interested here's my gallery containing 11 photos of the coaxial baffles:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/photos/thumbnails.php?album=17
Here's the long several page thread about the build process and how much I hate fiberglass:
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678
Most likely, I'll give them away when the time comes (you pay shipping), but I won't sell them.
I don't want to further OT this thread.

Bob

bbchem

« Reply #9 on: 18 Sep 2007, 09:31 pm »
 :D Very nice Bob!!!  I would love to have them and pay for shipping. Let me know whenever you might be parting with them. I am a member of the Hawthorne Forum

Regards, BIll    :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 18 Sep 2007, 09:36 pm »
I noticed "the newest member" notification. Sent you your first PM.  :wink:

SteveH

• MAC:  My Audio Cables
« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2007, 12:21 pm »
Do the Hawthorne Duets have dynamics & extension? (bottom end= bass)

I listen to a lot of jazz, vocals and some CD101 Jazz. Usually NO hard rock! (anymore)

What's the feeling about these guys?

I have HornShoppe Horns in one system and they're great. I am looking for detail, dynamics and extension for another system. Top end HAS to be there, bottom = without a sub.

Thanks,
Steve

hurdy_gurdyman

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2007, 01:43 am »
Do the Hawthorne Duets have dynamics & extension? (bottom end= bass)

I listen to a lot of jazz, vocals and some CD101 Jazz. Usually NO hard rock! (anymore)

What's the feeling about these guys?

I have HornShoppe Horns in one system and they're great. I am looking for detail, dynamics and extension for another system. Top end HAS to be there, bottom = without a sub.

Thanks,
Steve
The Hawthorne Duets have very clean and powerful bass that'll cover anything jazz has in it. Bass is good down to around 30 Hz.

Dave :)

SteveH

« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:08 am »
How are these spkrs in a room 9X14?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:44 am »
They'll fill that room with no problem. That's for sure. :wink:

SteveH

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:51 am »
Filling the romm is definitely not the proble, will they work well there?

My Horns & Brines speaks work excellent. I guess I'm asking, what is the ideal sidewall and backwall clearances?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:56 am »
Sidewall, about 2-3' away.
Frontwall.....??... A buddy of mines are almost touching his wall. Sound pretty good. Mine are 6' away.
I'm sure there's a ideal situation, as with any speaker, but from what I've heard of them they're very "room tolerant".

Bob

SteveH

« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:56 am »
Thanks

My room is only 9' wide.  ugh

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2007, 12:03 pm »
Is it "Two Channel Friendly"?
Meaning acoustically decent...

Bob

SteveH

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2007, 12:05 pm »
yup

Couldn't do my work if it wasn't. (cables)