Late Arriving

martyo

Late Arriving
« on: 6 Aug 2007, 02:39 pm »
For the first time in almost 20 years I'm looking to replace my speakers. I have Carver ALS Platinum's and it just struck me that they are open-baffle speakers. 4 12" woofers and a 60" ribbon mounted on a single baffle, nothing enclosed. Back in the 70's when I started into the higher end, much of the talk was about cabinet colorations and the problems with ported type bass reproduction......I started with Dahlquist DQ-10's, sealed box for the woofer but the other drivers were mounted pretty much on their own individual baffles on top of the bass enclosure.

Now it seems the trend is smaller drivers for the bass in 200-300lb ported cabinets and bass traps and..........
I'm not making a comment on what is best, just what I'm seeing. I also know there are compromises with all designs.

So I'm looking for FULL range, "big type sound", any recommendations? I don't think I am looking for a DIY project.

Thanks

Dmason

Re: Late Arriving
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2007, 04:26 pm »
hi Marty,

Nice speaks to have had to listen to, over the years....I know the sound well

For full range open baffle sound, the quick and easy method would be the Hawthorne Audio bass and coaxial series. No one complains about their sound so far. Full range open baffle is going to involve a couple of fifteen inch pro audio type drivers, at any rate, and this is the concept behind Hawthorne.

The money zone is Fr - ~1500Hz, so any offering with bass in a box is a false promise. If I were to recommend a ground-up solution, it would be 2 JBL 2215 reconed in HempTone, and the very best wideband compression driver with an 800Hz waveguide/horn powered by a single ended triode amp. Larger cone diameters offer narrower baffle width requirements. Active crossover programs at www.thuneau.com  www.radianaudio.com has the most musical c/d drivers.. this basic recipe would get you weapons-grade sonics for comparatively little, and offer a calibre of musical presentation simply not offered on the market. And be an incredibly fun, interactive "toy."

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 6 Aug 2007, 05:02 pm »
Hi Martyo,
Not been a DIY type of fella, I'd recommend the Hawthorne Audio 15" Duets: http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/speakers.htm

Very nice. I was fortunate enough to have been the 'middleman' between a seller and a buyer. I got to keep them for a couple months until the buyer got moved into his new house.
I've DIY'd several versions of "my idea" of the perfect baffle with the bare 15" Hawthorne Audio drivers and have nothing but very good things to say about them. You'll get that "big sound", that's for sure.  :thumb:

Bob

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 6 Aug 2007, 05:48 pm »
Hi Martyo,

If you are looking for finished OB speakers, I'd say look towards one of the vendors here, namely Nomad Audio. Paul's speakers are now touring here in St Louis with the GAS guys. Here is a link to that thread. The small Sentinel's sound great, are very room friendly and reasonably affordable. The article should be up on Enjoy The Music next month (I think).

BTW, if you need a pair of replacement 30" ribbons, PM me. I've got a pair that Dave at Carver rebuilt for me a few years ago (new ribbons). I used them as OB tweeters crossed at 1500Hz for about 2 years. Right now they are sitting, gathering dust and I have no plans on using them..

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2007, 12:59 am »
Thank you guys for the info, Nomad is right here by me. Any other info comes to mind please shoot me a pm or add to the thread. Also, your GAS group certainly seems like a fine fellowship.   :thumb:

gooberdude

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2007, 01:04 am »
Hey Marty,

If you live in the City & want to hear a somewhat finished pair of Hawthorne Audio DIY Duets, i'm right on LSD just a few blocks east of Wrigley Field.

matt

martyo

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2007, 01:13 am »
That's very hospitable of you Matt. I'm definitely interested. I'll pm you.

Thanks,

Marty

gooberdude

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2007, 01:31 am »
no problem.    i just finished them though not quite done tweaking yet.   Pics of the project are posted in the Open Baffle circle under the heading   'new OB project using Hawthorne drivers'

free parking & killer views of the Lake...

matt

Dmason

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2007, 03:12 pm »
there you go. Ask and ye shall receive.

Judging by the toyz you have assembled I would say Marty is in for a good music session. Wish I Were There

stereocilia

« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2007, 07:47 pm »
If you have a big budget, the last time I heard Legacy Audio Whispers years ago in Springfield, "big full-range sound" would be a fitting description.  And, to keep it relevant to the category, there is even an open-baffle element to the design.