Hemp Acoustics FR6.5C

hasselbaink

Re: Hemp Acoustics FR6.5C
« Reply #20 on: 20 Jul 2007, 08:47 pm »
Ah, the mid range... one of the hardest parts to describe. I would say it is ever so slightly forward sounding but not fatiguing in any way. It certainly sounds very detailed. The Hemp is good with female vocals, no shoutiness there. I'm certainly not able to detect it. If there is a slight coolness in the upper mid I would suspect it might come from the Trend class T amp or my shitty cd-player (it really is that bad).

I would love to hear this driver with alnico magnets, which Hemp Acoustics claim to have in the pipeline.

Final verdict will be with an analog front end, as it should be.

hasselbaink

« Reply #21 on: 15 Aug 2007, 09:19 pm »
Further update!

I have added a pair of 15" woofers crossed at about 100 hz. Second order electrical filter for the low pass and a first order for the Hemp driver. After working on the x-over a bit I was initially very impressed with the sound: Nearly full range, vivid dynamics, big sound stage... but I have detected something that might be a peak in the upper midrange. It's noticeable on initial sibilant sounds or consonants like "s" as in say, "t" as in time, "ch" as in change. Could anyone tell me if it might be a problem with the main cone or the whizzer?

I will be back with more on the subject later.

Kris in Copenhagen.

hasselbaink

« Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2007, 05:05 pm »
Ok, I'll try again...

Can anyone tell me at what frequency does the whizzer augment the main cone on a FR driver? (Just give me a ballpark figure)

Sincerely
Kris