Evolution of my OB, dipole, high-efficiency systems

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
Evolution of my OB, dipole, high-efficiency systems
« on: 13 Dec 2006, 07:00 pm »
They now look like this...

I've added lots of lumber to the rears, and they resonate LOTS less.

I just capped them...

...to retain a little warmth.  Gained the following output from the capping, measured with 1/3-octave PN, at the listening position, both channels averaged.
240Hz, 3/4dB
200Hz, 1dB
160Hz, 1-3/4dB
130Hz, 2dB
100Hz, 80Hz, and 60Hz, 1dB each
50Hz, 1-3/4dB

Have raised the MR lo-pass and tweeter hi-pass filter points, lowered the tweeters' overall output, and reversed the tweeters' polarity.  I'm now getting treble that pleases me, altho I still fantasize about replacing these Daytons with the Fountek 2.0...
http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?cart_id=383813.12471&pid=1890.

They, and the Antique Sound Lab AQ1006/845 MkIIIs, sure do sound excellent.  Best-sounding system I've ever had or heard.

mcgsxr

Re: Evolution of my OB, dipole, high-efficiency systems
« Reply #1 on: 13 Dec 2006, 08:18 pm »
The thing I like best about this story, is how open you have been during the development - I am like that too - you basically showed the whole "skunkwerks" process, and how each change did or did not work for you etc.

Nicely done!

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 13 Dec 2006, 10:26 pm »
TY, Mark.  While I am proud of what I've achieved, I'm sure not too proud to admit mistakes, etc.  My biggest mistake in the creation of these OB systems was not using thicker material for the wings.  Of course, some would say that the wings are way too big, but I think not.  No part of my 3-way systems is equalized*, and I have PLENTY of low frequencies, not that I'm a bass freak, but any system of mine MUST have substantial energy in the bottom octave.

But I'm sure tired.   :?

* Even the bass-boost controls of the Dahlquist DQLP-1 are flat.

JohninCR

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2006, 12:00 am »
Yes Jeffrey,
Congrats on getting closer to your goal.  It's nice to see another who's willing
to bulldog their way to the end.  That's the beauty of DIY.  We get to do it
however we want and like.  These online communities are great for seeking advice
when needed and for sharing results.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2006, 02:06 am »
Hey!

Look like you've created a monsters! :o Look at all of those drivers and big baffle!

Now this is something that scare the hell out of a Single Driver speaker (6" + supertweeter per side) user like me :lol:

Ahhhh... yes the beauty of DIY. I could do whatever turn you on :cool:

Anyway, I haven't seen much multi-way/multi-driver line array OB around. Very interesting.

Well, good luck and keep us posted on these monsters! :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2007, 05:45 pm »
This month I've built some speakercable and rewired the systems.  The cable uses 3 conductors of different sizes and a dielectric-bias system, both ala Audioquest.  The conductors are all copper--I just couldn't rationalize the $550 total v. $150 for copper--using 6-nines-pure Ohno-Continuous-Cast conductors.  The base (not 'bass') conductor is 18g. with extruded Teflon, while the 20- and 26g. conductors are Vampire Wire-brand enameled ('magnet') wire, all from Sonic Craft.  Net gage is 15-1/2.  The 2 triple bundles and the 2 DB-system positives are wound around a 4g. Teflon tube and bound with plumber's Teflon tape.

This was all wrapped tightly with lots more Teflon tape and then surrounded with a spiral of inexpensive 18g. bare wire for the DB-system negative.  Fired up the solderpot to melt the enamel.  E-mail me for more pics and info if you want.

Hardwired this cable to the bass/MR drivers with as few breaks in the cable as possible--I eliminated 2 per channel--and built jumpers to wire all those drivers.  The results...

...look lots better than the last wiring.  Will be adding a black braided cover to the cable from the speakers to the amps; the stuff I bought was too small.

Here's some detail at the choke.

Haven't yet connected the DB system; will this week.  Seems to sound very good.

Have switched the front plates left to right to move the B/MR drivers to the inside, to better align the B/MR drivers with the tweeters.

Still playing with crossovers, tweeters, etc.  Will be going to 2nd-order lo-pass filters on the B/MR drivers.