I've (finally) joined the club

ThreeBob

I've (finally) joined the club
« on: 21 Nov 2018, 10:31 pm »
After wanting an WTA for several years I've been fortunate enough to pick up a mint condition GT upgraded with the newer alloy capped half golf ball arm. I finished set up last night and the improvement on my old pro-ject xpression is outstanding.

I've fitted it with my Ortofon 2m black which feeds into a Lounge LCR III phono and from there into a Decware Zen Triode amp driving 8" tangband widebanders in Mauhorn backloaded horn speakers. All in all, it's a very dynamic set up.

The one modification I've made is to replace the stock mat with a 5mm Achromat. This made a much more significant improvement than I was expecting.

Anyway, all that aside I've got a couple of questions:

1. My GT has the old flat feet - do the squashball feet make a big difference?

2. I've got a suspended wooden floor and drywall walls so isolation is an issue (especially footfalls) - does anyone have recommendations for isolation?

gagamut

Re: I've (finally) joined the club
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2018, 02:07 am »
After wanting an WTA for several years I've been fortunate enough to pick up a mint condition GT upgraded with the newer alloy capped half golf ball arm. I finished set up last night and the improvement on my old pro-ject xpression is outstanding.

I've fitted it with my Ortofon 2m black which feeds into a Lounge LCR III phono and from there into a Decware Zen Triode amp driving 8" tangband widebanders in Mauhorn backloaded horn speakers. All in all, it's a very dynamic set up.

The one modification I've made is to replace the stock mat with a 5mm Achromat. This made a much more significant improvement than I was expecting.

Anyway, all that aside I've got a couple of questions:

1. My GT has the old flat feet - do the squashball feet make a big difference?

2. I've got a suspended wooden floor and drywall walls so isolation is an issue (especially footfalls) - does anyone have recommendations for isolation?

Mine is GT too,but my old flat feet was dissolve,i don't know why,may be weather too hot .now i use the Alpha gel to instead the old flat feet.

Apesbrain

« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2018, 03:41 pm »
I've got a suspended wooden floor and drywall walls so isolation is an issue (especially footfalls) - does anyone have recommendations for isolation?

Could you do a wall-mount shelf?

ThreeBob

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2018, 06:42 pm »
I'm kind of hoping a wall-shelf is a last resort - I'm keen to try isolation bases first. I've discovered that the older WTA's came with an isolation base, but it doesn't seem possible to buy one and I've not seen any specs on it to do a DIY version. Is it possible to replace the old feet with the new squash-ball ones? If so where can you get them from?