Picture Of The Day

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #520 on: 21 Jun 2008, 05:51 pm »
Yea, that's it thanks man. I've seen reference to that in adjustment menus if I remember correctly.

Bob

nathanm

« Reply #521 on: 22 Jun 2008, 03:41 am »
Actually it's moiré. :P  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moir%C3%A9_pattern

This can occur whenever two patterns are involved.  You can get them from downsampling a digital image or it may he captured natively by the sensor. (in which case you're screwed) It can crop up in screen printing and television as well—all sorts of places.

The horizontal rainbow is usually generated by high amounts of fairy activity.

superchad

« Reply #522 on: 22 Jun 2008, 04:18 am »
 A moiré used to be a big problem in print industry if screens were not orientated the correct way when burning plates and it wouldnt be discovered till the press was in "Makeready" and it use to hold things up big time (pull plates, wait for new ones and re-hang), now with computers and direct technology its pretty much a thing of the past.

PhilNYC

« Reply #523 on: 23 Jun 2008, 12:15 am »
A couple of shots from my weekend in Princeton (NJ) and New Hope (PA):

(taken at 300mm zoom)

AliG

« Reply #524 on: 23 Jun 2008, 01:49 am »

nathanm

« Reply #525 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:10 pm »
Today's turtle lesson: look both ways before crossing the stream!

nathanm

« Reply #526 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:25 pm »
My friend and his wife recently had a kid, so  I wanted to do some shots that tried to emulate the 19th century look. You know, with people standing outside the family farm and posing stoically.  I suppose this image is too "clean" to really get that glass plate look, but I still like how it came out.  I wish there were clouds in the sky, but I'm not sure my Photoshop ethics will allow me to put in fake ones.

SET Man

« Reply #527 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:33 pm »
My friend and his wife recently had a kid, so  I wanted to do some shots that tried to emulate the 19th century look. You know, with people standing outside the family farm and posing stoically.  I suppose this image is too "clean" to really get that glass plate look, but I still like how it came out.  I wish there were clouds in the sky, but I'm not sure my Photoshop ethics will allow me to put in fake ones.

Hey!

Cool! :cool: I like it. Reminded me of Grant Wood's "American Gothic" :D

It will be fun to see the guy with a pitchfork while the Mom holding the baby :lol:

Yes, please don't PP in fake clouds. :nono:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #528 on: 23 Jun 2008, 04:43 pm »
Excellent! :thumb: A stark contrast to most family baby photos.

-Roy

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #529 on: 23 Jun 2008, 07:23 pm »
Nice shot Nathan

Moirre or whatever....still think it is global warming  :lol:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #530 on: 24 Jun 2008, 07:34 am »
Shot 2 things, today, first real shoot in a long time.  One was a pair of schools technically in Southgate, which is right by Watts.  This is a really run down neighborhood, especially Watts, so when I discovered these schools, my jaws dropped.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to capture the sheer size and scale of these public schools.  This is what our money goes towards. 

Here is a dog that was wandering around between our yard and my neighbor's.  Young?  Completely lost and extremely friendly and constantly seeking affection.  Now, somehow, it's in my garage until we get some lost and found posters up and wait around for a week or something.  Dang, I was worried it was going to whine and yip every time we left it along, but it seems to have calmed down, now after about 30 minutes of no attention.

The kid in the pictures is a relative of the neighbors.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #531 on: 24 Jun 2008, 08:34 am »
Right, I'm still having trouble converting my images to on line viewable formats as I cannot convert the RAW files yet.
So anyway, here is a exif Jpeg I believe it is called converted to a manageable jpeg size.

You will see two dark spots in the image, those are birds... and in my computer I can zoom in so that they fill almost 25% of the screen!!! and that is just in Exif Jpeg!!! In Raw...  :thumb: !!!

Oh dear! The resolution is shocking!!!

:dance: Anyway Full auto still... I'm not feeling adventurous yet... It is a rather scary cam...  :? ... for me at least!!!

Anyway, uhm Right click on the image to see exposure data.

Imperial

ooheadsoo

« Reply #532 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:58 am »
Imperial, any guesses on what kind of dog that is?

ooheadsoo

« Reply #533 on: 26 Jun 2008, 05:38 am »
Well, it's sorta a sad day.  The owner of this little guy came by to pick him up.

I guess it was a pure pitbull. 

Maybe I'm not that sad considering how many scratches he gave me while trying to lick my face.  Its claws were sharp and long enough to draw blood when he had them out to try to climb up my clothes.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #534 on: 26 Jun 2008, 01:25 pm »
A beautiful little animal that!
It looks like a pitbull, but you never know really.
A pure pitbull is actually a VERY stable animal, it's the mix breeds that will be prone to having behaviour problems.

I think it's all about not choosing a alfa puppy, any breed really, then it's ok, because it won't try to be
the alfa (act as the boss..) in the family... then they can bite; and if they are very submissive.. that is like a fear biter dog you know.

I have not met many pitbulls, as they are forbidden now for the N'th year running now here in Norway, but there are some.
And you can tell right off the bark which of them are purebloods, they are simply stable - with content and watchfull gazes!

In Norway, we have sadly had like 3 person who had their child bitten, actually been given the job of making the then revised laws for dogs. that's right! 3 private persons!! (They did not have any real dog knowledge it was soon discovered...)
The dog association was told to shut the f*** up and accept the new laws...  :o
I know, and those laws are still active...
Just sick!!

Imperial

ooheadsoo

« Reply #535 on: 26 Jun 2008, 01:41 pm »
The owners breed them for sale and said that they were pits, that's all I know.  There are lobbyists in the US trying to outlaw them, as well, due to occasional child deaths.  They have a bad reputation for being savage killer dogs and some extreme lobbyists and stupid talk show hosts go around saying they should all be put down and eliminated.

Unfortunately, I do think that they are a high maintenance dog and need at least a couple hours of attention and exercise every day, and many owners will neglect them, creating the killer dog.  Perhaps sellers should require potential owners to complete a certification course...On the other hand, I highly doubt this will ultimately be effective, given how many parents are raising their own children, these days.

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #536 on: 1 Jul 2008, 05:32 pm »
Just another spring day in Ohio

WerTicus

« Reply #537 on: 2 Jul 2008, 03:40 pm »
Hi!  new to this part of the forum as I only got my pentax 3 days ago... anyway this is the first shot out of it worth looking at.
300mm macro lens f5.2 1600iso
Pentax k20d

****Link ****

24inch lcd sized.
Slightly shopped.
Really like the camera, previously had a canon 300d.

nathanm

« Reply #538 on: 2 Jul 2008, 03:54 pm »
That's 1600 ISO?  Damn my camera sucks!  :dunno:  Any noise filters applied?

PeteG

« Reply #539 on: 4 Jul 2008, 04:56 pm »

« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2008, 08:41 pm by PeteG »