The "Ultimate" Touch mod? ReBoxed Touch

Wayne1

The "Ultimate" Touch mod? ReBoxed Touch
« on: 26 Mar 2011, 08:43 pm »
Some time ago, I worked with another vendor to create the "ReBox". This was a SB3 with a new faceplate in a much larger chassis. This enabled me to install the power supplies in the same box. Other mods were able to be done that the size of the stock case limited.

One of the Statement SB3s was installed in a ReBox case with two power supplies.

Forward to the current times. The Touch came out and offered 24/96 capability. It also could be made to sound better than even the Statement SB3. the vendor that made the faceplate for the ReBox is no longer around. The owner of the ReBox was in touch with Bill Baker about getting a new faceplate. Bill didn't think it would be too big a problem to make one out of acrylic.

Many months later, the collaboration has been finished. The Touch has been extensively modded with dual power supplies, Bybee Music Rails for each PS. A Hynes regulator for just the digital section. WBT connectors for both modded digital and analog outputs. I added a Neutrik Ethernet connector to the rear of the chassis.

All in all, I think this is the "Ultimate" modded Touch I have built. Thanks go out to Bill Baker for all his help and construction of the faceplate.

Phil

Re: The "Ultimate" Touch mod? ReBoxed Touch
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2011, 09:07 pm »
Wayne,

Looks wonderful.  I'm enjoying the stock Touch with software mods + wired ethernet + PS but was wondering what else could be had from this little wonder.

Will you be offering these mods or was this just an experiment?  If it will be a mod, will there be a path for those of us who want to use the digital section only?

Thanks,

Phil

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2011, 09:29 pm »
Sorry for the awful photos. A photographer I am not.

If Bill Baker is willing to make more of the front panels, I would be willing to continue to explore more mods. This unit is mostly intended to be used with an Eastern Electric DAC. That is what it is currently playing into. The analog outputs were already installed in the case, so it was not a big thing to mod the analog section of the Touch and install the cabling.

Dual power supplies with separate regulation just for the digital section would be the best way to get digital out of the touch. add in the software mods and you should have a fantastic source.

At this point in time I am rather backed up with many EE DAC mods, power supplies and Touch mods. There are other projects coming up that may also be of interest to a few folks here. RMAF this year should see a few new products from BOLDER Cable and more collaborations.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2011, 10:12 pm »
Nice Wayne!!! Dude or I mean Wayne-sorry- if I had the cash I'd get all your stuff, cash would come in and I'd be on the phone to you!!
 Very nice stuff my friend!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2011, 10:17 pm »
I think as far as looks go the screen is way too small
for the box. 

KJ

« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2011, 10:26 pm »
Looks great Wayne!  Can't wait to get it in the system and try it out.  Glad we were able to extend the life of this unit, as well as enhance it a bit more.  It's come a long way over the years, and it should mate nicely with the EE DAC. :thumb:

Big props go out to both Wayne and Bill for humoring me on this project.  It's not every day you ask two mad scientists in different locations to work together on a single product.  These two guys dealt with conference calls, endless emails, photos, shipping parts for mating things up, etc.  I certainly hope each of them find more opportunities to put their talents together.  Kudos.

KJ

« Reply #6 on: 26 Mar 2011, 10:30 pm »
Quote from: sts9fan
I think as far as looks go the screen is way too small for the box.

I really didn't use the screen much in it's previous state other than for casually viewing the song title.  I'll be controlling song selection from my iPad, so in this particular case it's use is diminished.

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 26 Mar 2011, 10:35 pm »
Great idea Wayne. You are so innovative!