Upgrade for Jerome and ELPAC power supplies. Bybee Music Rails

Wayne1

Re: Upgrade for Jerome and ELPAC power supplies. Bybee Music Rails
« Reply #20 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:17 pm »
Thanks for the updates, Fred.

The Music Rail itself varies wildly in sound for the first week and then settles down the second week. Adding the film cap, tames some of the wildness, but it does extend the break-in a bit. I would expect everything to be very smooth after running it in for 3 weeks 24/7.

There seems to be a great deal of interest in this mod. I do feel it is the best thing you can do for your Touch. The digital mods will certainly help with extended low end and wider and deeper soundstage The next delivery of Bybee Music Rails is about a week or so off. I do plan to build a demo unit for comparison. The is a group in St. Louis that already has a stock Jerome and a modded Jerome broken in for comparison. I will send the Music Railed Jerome out in December for that comparison.

Most of the power supplies that I have built can be improved with the Music Rail. Contact me about installing them for you. I already have built a high current Music Railed supply for the Mac Mini. I have another two in the works.They run around $1500.00 with DC cables.

I will be working on a less expensive version that can supply between 12 volts and 18.5 volts at up to 10 amps. This can be used for powering Music Servers, hard drives, DACs, etc. With Music Rails, it should run about $700.00 with DC cable.

If you really want to work on removing any noise created by switching power supplies from your system, you should consider replacing the power supply for your router with a modded Jerome  :wink:

Gopher

« Reply #21 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:24 pm »
If you really want to work on removing any noise created by switching power supplies from your system, you should consider replacing the power supply for your router with a modded Jerome  :wink:

My Fios Router actually contributes noise to my system, or are you saying the switching psu contaminates my source electric?  I have noticed increased noise when plugging my cell phone or baby monitors in, but the router?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:37 pm »
  Plus one on the Bolder modded power supply and DAC. I had a chance to hear Gophers system during a home demo of the Uberbuss.  To date I have not been a fan of computer audio. Well in a nutshell I am now. Wayne whatever you did to the EE DAC and power supply beside  my mind.
 Very well done sir.

charles
SMA

Wayne1

« Reply #23 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:38 pm »
My Fios Router actually contributes noise to my system, or are you saying the switching psu contaminates my source electric?  I have noticed increased noise when plugging my cell phone or baby monitors in, but the router?

I am saying the switching power supply used by both the router and any external hard drive will add noise to the AC line and it will also add noise to the data being transmitted. To get the quietest transfer of signals, using a linear supply in place of a switcher would be the best bet.

For 5 volt power requirements, even a stock Jerome would be an improvement. For 12 volts for an external hard drive, the current requirements would mean a physically larger unit.

Thank you for the comments, charles.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #24 on: 15 Nov 2011, 05:45 pm »
  Your welcome you deserve it. Very impressive work.

charles
SMA

drmike

« Reply #25 on: 16 Nov 2011, 01:08 pm »
hello wayne,
can you put the rails in a paul hynes power supply that i use for my duet?
thanks,
drmike
ps: i love the mods for my duet!

Wayne1

« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2011, 02:14 pm »
drmike,

It depends on how much room is left inside the unit. The large caps and Music Rail do take up some space.

With all respect, you may want to consider moving to the Touch. A modded Touch will outperform a modded Duet Receiver in all areas. You would need a different power supply. The Duet runs off 9 volts and the Touch 5 volts.

Gopher

« Reply #27 on: 19 Nov 2011, 10:13 pm »
Todays listening has been phenomenal.  I flip flop back and forth on whether I prefer my analog to my digital, but this is the best sound my rig has ever given me right now, listening to Gillian Welch on my music server.  Charles, you should hear it right now!

Wayne--is there really no way a music rail could fit inside my Bolder'd dac without a rebox? 

Wayne1

« Reply #28 on: 19 Nov 2011, 10:50 pm »
Todays listening has been phenomenal.  I flip flop back and forth on whether I prefer my analog to my digital, but this is the best sound my rig has ever given me right now, listening to Gillian Welch on my music server.  Charles, you should hear it right now!

Wayne--is there really no way a music rail could fit inside my Bolder'd dac without a rebox?

I'm glad the power supply is coming around. Yes folks, a modded Touch, power supply and DAC can go head to head with high quality vinyl playback  :green:

There is very little room for anything more in the DAC. There are multiple DC voltages for different sections. Where should the Music Rail go? The high voltage section of the tube? Not possible without taking up a LOT of real estate for the resistors, diodes and caps needed to run the Music Rail above 30 volts.

The DAC chip has 4 separate regulators feeding it. All get their voltages from separate supplies. There is not room anywhere to mount 4 Music Rails.

The op-amps take both positive and negative voltages. Again, no room.

Depending on what you are currently using, you might be able to have Music Rails fitted in your pre-amp and/or power amp.

The Ultimate Touch I built once had completely separate power supplies for the main section and the digital section/clock. Each power supply fed it's voltage to the Touch through a separate Music Rail. The Touch did have to be recased to fit everything.

KJ

« Reply #29 on: 20 Nov 2011, 02:02 am »
Quote from: Wayne1
The Ultimate Touch I built once had completely separate power supplies for the main section and the digital section/clock. Each power supply fed it's voltage to the Touch through a separate Music Rail. The Touch did have to be recased to fit everything

And it's sounding really, really good tonight now that it's being complimented by the modded DAC Wayne.  Cheers!   :thumb:

Wayne1

« Reply #30 on: 25 Nov 2011, 04:25 pm »
Kevin,

It's great you are finally getting to enjoy the Ultimate Touch with a Bolder modded EE DAC and the Purity Pre-amp.

Fred,

I do a one minor tweak I can do to your power supply that should clean up the mids and highs a bit more. Send it out to me whenever you get the chance.

I am getting booked up through Christmas. If anyone is interested in getting a power supply or Touch modded, please get in touch with me soon. I am running low on my stock of Jerome PS and will be reordering for the last time before Christmas next week. The last order of Bybee Music Rails went very quickly. Pleas let me know if you are interested in having a full supply built or having the Music Rail added to your present supply.

Thank you all for your support. I hope you and your families had a pleasant holiday.

Wayne1

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jan 2012, 04:07 pm »
I have been offering the modded Jerome Power Supply with Music Rails for $400.00.

As of Feb. 1, that price will raise to $450.00.

If you are interested in getting one of these before the price increase, please contact me through PM or E-mail

Thanks,
Wayne