Marantz SA8005 Truth Mods!

modwright

Marantz SA8005 Truth Mods!
« on: 29 Dec 2016, 07:05 pm »
This thread will be dedicated to discussion of the ModWright Truth mods for the Marantz SA8005 CD/SACD player and DAC.

First of all, some fresh feedback from a happy customer on Facebook:

"...this is the best I have ever heard my system. I would have to spend an incredible amount more on my vinyl playback to rival the enjoyment I am getting from my digital now. Superb, extended, effortless bass. The space around and separation of instruments & performers is scary realistic. Recorded venues explode beyond my domicile and transport me to the venue."
-K. Cunningham

For those interested, I have a NEW IN BOX Marantz SA8005 with full Truth mods, Audio Magic Pulse Gen and Bybee rail installed.
We made a mistake when machining the holes in the lid for the tubes.  A pilot hole was drilled about 1" off.  We have contacted Marantz about ordering a replacement lid and are waiting to hear back. In the meantime, we put a MWI 'medallion' over the hole and the finsihed lid looks like this:

What this means, is that we have a unit available at a discount of over $1300!
Retail for this unit = $1200 (unit) + $2500 (Truth mods) + $625 - Bybee rail and Audio Magic Upgrades) + shipping = $4325 + shipping.

We are offering this unit for $2995 - shipped via UPS Ground.

Please let me know if you are interested, this unit will NOT last long at this price!

Thanks,

Dan

« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2016, 12:12 am by modwright »

decal

Re: Marantz SA8005 Truth Mods!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Dec 2016, 08:50 pm »
Somebody jump on this now. In my opinion, nothing will come close at this price.

goose

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2016, 02:15 am »
I picked my unit up from Dan on Wednesday.  When compared to ModWright 5400 I am hearing things that were not present before.  The sound stage has expanded, increased articulation and resolution as well as the center stage moving forward in a more present and 3 dimensional manner.  I have just started to change the stock tubes in the power supply with a 60's Mullard and am waiting for my 50's Tung Sols from Andy at Vintage Tube Service for the player.  I always buy my tubes from Andy since he is the only one I trust with the goods!  The tube pins are always polished before measurements and he is very picky about his stuff.  In a nutshell, this player has some sonic magic going on with it after Dan's mods. 

mav52

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2017, 11:39 pm »
Dan I like the way you have these tubes setting inside the case on the SA8005 vs standing up like some roman sentinel on the other player mods which prevents a lot of us users from a purchase due to rack space.  Great idea and I bet it sounds great.

TimWarrior

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2017, 06:46 pm »
Dan - is this unit still available?

dminches

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2017, 01:24 am »
I think the poster was asking about the modded one which Dan was selling and write about 4-5 posts up.

TimWarrior

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2017, 01:39 am »
Yes, dminches, you are correct I was inquiring about the Modwright modified unit that was discussed earlier in this thread.

But thank you to Phil A for pointing out the many sources of an unmodified Marantz unit.

Wig

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2017, 04:11 am »
I would call Dan directly to secure this unit ASAP if it's still available!

Wig

decal

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2017, 02:16 pm »
I would call Dan directly to secure this unit ASAP if it's still available!

Wig

I concur. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2017, 07:23 pm »
Sorry, it was sold for $2995.  In fact, I could have sold it many times over.

Feedback from owner:

"Received the Marantz mod Monday in perfect condition. I have a near reference ss system.
Your mod sounds amazing. I’ll dedicate more time this weekend to listening and email my
impressions. Hopefully my pixels will encourage people to consider this product to
be one of the finest available. I’m saving up for one of your fine preamps."
- M. Bernert

Thanks,

Dan
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2017, 08:55 pm by modwright »

modwright

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2017, 06:04 pm »
More Feedback:

"I made some adjustments to my digital front end.  i am now using HQ Player streaming to a custom built PC running NAA.  All PCM is being upsampled to 24/192.  It sounds sublime on the 8005. I love this player.  One of your best mods!" - D. Minches

decal

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2017, 01:52 am »
To owners of the Modwright SA8005,  go to the menu and turn off the digital outs if you're not using them. A more than subtle improvement in sound.

cmach

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2017, 11:46 pm »

Thanks Decal,

Turned off the digital outs on my Modwright Marantz last night and its an appreciable difference. The background
is darker than before and the player sounds a bit smoother too boot.

modwright

« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2017, 01:48 pm »
Just saw this and thought I would put it out there.  Sure looks like the player less drive.  I.e. same DAC, analog stage and ripe for the same mod!

https://www.musicdirect.com/dac/marantz-na8005-network-enabled-dsd-dac

Can't beat the price of the stock unit!

Dan

Wig

« Reply #15 on: 3 Dec 2017, 06:28 am »
Guys,

Have any of you tried using a Sandisk Cruzer USB with Hi-Rez music? Someone made one for me but I keep getting USB not supported, could it be the brand or maybe it's not compatible with the Marantz?

Thanks,
Wig

modwright

« Reply #16 on: 4 Dec 2017, 01:27 am »
The Marantz accepts a USB computer input, but not a simple USB drive.  The Oppo players will accept a USB drive, thumb drive, HD, etc.  It handles the interface via internal processor in the Oppo.  USB computer input is handled via XMOS USB receiver and the computer offers the asynch USB data format conversion.

I hope this helps.

Dan

Wig

« Reply #17 on: 4 Dec 2017, 02:26 am »
Dan,

Thanks for your response! I'll download the files on my laptop to see how that goes.

Thanks again,
Wig :)

decal

« Reply #18 on: 4 Dec 2017, 05:20 am »
Just wanted everyone to know that I'm still enjoying my Modwright Truth Marantz SA8005. Worth every penny.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

modwright

« Reply #19 on: 4 Dec 2017, 05:44 pm »
Sounds good Wig and thanks Decal!