The long-awaited Turbomod for the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks

audioengr

Empirical Audio is now offering a Turbomod (reference-quality mod) for the Parasound JC-1 monoblocks.

The JC-1 monoblocks sound a lot better than most amps in their price range, however there is a lot more performance potential locked-up in these amps. Their primary weakness is dynamics, particularly in the high-frequencies. They also tend to be a bit muddy in both the midrange and highs due to their power delivery topology, even though they deliver the detail in spades right out of the box, or at least after a month or so of break-in. This muddiness can best be described as a bit of congestion or compression. They just do not open-up and envelope you in an unrestrained, spacious sound field.

The EA Turbomod removes all of these weaknesses.  It transforms the JC-1's into spectacular, breathtaking music machines. The soundstage doubles in width compared to the stock amp and the slam factor improves by an order of magnitude. The weight, authority and richness of the music is improved dramatically. There is a spaciousness of the sound field that just immerses the listener. The focus and clarity of violins, violas and cellos is razor-sharp, but with finesse and sweetness, not harshness. Percussion, such as cymbols, bells and vibraphone has real attack, sustain and decay.  The front-to-back layering is so detailed that the relative positions of different instruments can be sensed within a few feet. Most first-time listeners believe they are listening to surround-sound, when it is only 2-channel. This is the first amp to exceed the performance of our modified Adcom GFA-585 reference amp, so this is our new reference amp.

The amplifier mods include:

1)Power delivery improvements to the driver boards, including Black Gate capacitors
2) Perfect Crystal silver harnesses for the driver to main boards
3) New power harnesses for the driver boards
4) Power topology changes to both driver and main boards
5) Power delivery improvements to the driver boards, including Black Gate capacitors (there are no Black Gates in the stock amp)
6) Perfect Crystal silver input wiring from XLR's and RCA's
7) Disabling of the "auto-power-on with signal presence"
8 ) Removal of some filtering and upgrade of other filter caps
9) Check adjustment of low and high bias and match between the monoblocks

Turbomod cost for 2 monoblocks: $1800.00 plus shipping

J T Pipkin

« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2004, 05:02 pm »
Will you be modding the parasound 2200 II? would it be worth it as far as sound quality? and the price would be?(I also have a sierra audio whitney).

audioengr

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2004, 11:36 pm »
Quote from: J T Pipkin
Will you be modding the parasound 2200 II? would it be worth it as far as sound quality? and the price would be?(I also have a sierra audio whitney).

There would certainly be an improvement.  Read this article that I wrote:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue15/modsnugent.htm

The cost is hard to estimate without seeing it. Most stereo amps run between $1K and $2K.  Similar mods to those for the JC-1's could be installed.

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2005, 06:23 pm »
The modification for the JC-1's has been updated to include:

- Additional HF decoupling on the driver board

- Replacement of all the inrush limiters with high-preformance higher-rated parts

- Resoldering of ALL output power transistors

These three changes bring the price of the mod to $2300 for two monoblocks.

These changes also improve the performance of the JC-1's so that they pass-up the Parasound HCA-3500.  Best sounding amplifier on the market IMO.

guest1632

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2005, 10:20 am »
Quote from: audioengr
The modification for the JC-1's has been updated to include:

- Additional HF decoupling on the driver board

- Replacement of all the inrush limiters with high-preformance higher-rated parts

- Resoldering of ALL output power transistors

These three changes bring the price of the mod to $2300 for two monoblocks.

These changes also improve the performance of the JC-1's so that they pass-up the Parasound HCA-3500.  Best sounding amplifier on the market IMO.

Hi Steve, is that $2300 including the purchase of the amp, or is this just the mod alone?

Ray

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2005, 12:05 pm »
Ray,

That is the price of mods alone.

The amps retail for $6,000/pair and you can find them used on Audiogon for around $3500-4000.

George

studley

« Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2005, 12:19 pm »
Anyone know how many watts each JC 1 monoblock consumes when idling ?

On the assumption that its too expensive/hot to leave them powered up, how long does it take from a cold start for them to reach optimum operating temperature?

(I already have this problem with my otherwise great Aleph 2s)

Ian

audioengr

« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2005, 07:21 pm »
Quote from: studley
Anyone know how many watts each JC 1 monoblock consumes when idling ?

On the assumption that its too expensive/hot to leave them powered up, how long does it take from a cold start for them to reach optimum operating temperature?

(I already have this problem with my otherwise great Aleph 2s)

Ian

I bias them down a bit, so they consume about 100-150W each when idling at high-bias. They sound just as good IMO.   Low bias would be around 50W.  They dont get very hot anyway, not like a pure class A amp.  It takes about 20 minutes for them to open-up.

studley

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2005, 09:08 pm »
Thanks Steve
Since my previous post  I've had a look on the Parasound website and it says that they have a standby mode that consumes 25 watts.  Presumably they start to sing  pretty quickly from standby?
Ian

audioengr

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2005, 09:52 pm »
Thanks Steve
Since my previous post  I've had a look on the Parasound website and it says that they have a standby mode that consumes 25 watts.  Presumably they start to sing  pretty quickly from standby?
Ian

If standby is the on-off switch on the front - I believe it is, then 20 minutes.

skrivis

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2005, 11:22 pm »
Thanks Steve
Ian

If standby is the on-off switch on the front - I believe it is, then 20 minutes.

You're not inspiring me with confidence here...

You didn't actually figure out how the thing operates before you started swapping in "better" parts?

audioengr

« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2005, 07:12 pm »
Quote from: skrivis
Thanks Steve
Ian

You're not inspiring me with confidence here...

You didn't actually figure out how the thing operates before you started swapping in "better" parts?

There are two forms of "standby", one is the low bias setting and the other is the front panel switch.  I was simply trying to clarify which one requires the 20 minute warm-up.  

And I do not just "Swap" in parts.  I do significant redesign on the amp, adding a lot more parts than I swap. If you heard the amp, you would stop amp shopping.  It's simply the best sounding that I have heard.

Steve N.

studley

« Reply #12 on: 17 Nov 2005, 08:58 am »

If you heard the amp, you would stop amp shopping.  It's simply the best sounding that I have heard.

Steve N.

Steve
Based on what the hi fi press say(!),  best amp on the planet contenders would include; Lamm, Halcro and Tom Evans.  Have you heard any of their power amps?
Ian

skrivis

« Reply #13 on: 17 Nov 2005, 01:18 pm »
There are two forms of "standby", one is the low bias setting and the other is the front panel switch.  I was simply trying to clarify which one requires the 20 minute warm-up.  

And I do not just "Swap" in parts.  I do significant redesign on the amp, adding a lot more parts than I swap. If you heard the amp, you would stop amp shopping.  It's simply the best sounding that I have heard.

Steve N.

Ok, no problem. It just struck me wrong, I guess. "Yeah, I know that standby switch is there somewhere..." :)

audioengr

« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2005, 09:23 pm »

If you heard the amp, you would stop amp shopping.  It's simply the best sounding that I have heard.

Steve N.

Steve
Based on what the hi fi press say(!),  best amp on the planet contenders would include; Lamm, Halcro and Tom Evans.  Have you heard any of their power amps?
Ian

I have customers with Lamm's and they have heard Halcro's.  They tell me that my modded Parasound amps are better.  Not familiar with Tom Evans.

studley

« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2005, 09:25 am »
Steve
Tom Evans is a true innovator and his amp designs are unique in a number of ways including the use of some patented regulators.  Everyone who hears them seems to think they are very special indeed.  Try googling him, I think you would find what has been written about his designs very interesting.
Ian

audioengr

« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2005, 12:37 am »
Steve
Tom Evans is a true innovator and his amp designs are unique in a number of ways including the use of some patented regulators.  Everyone who hears them seems to think they are very special indeed.  Try googling him, I think you would find what has been written about his designs very interesting.
Ian

I read some of Tom Evans technical stuff.  Certainly interesting although I do not agree with his approach on a couple of things:

1) transient power power delivery requires more than just fast regulation, it requires excellent decoupling caps, in the right sizes, types and locations.

2) Using an attenuator as a volume control is a bad idea IMO.  It just adds more noise than necessary, and usually affects dynamics unless the circuit design is very clever, which it may very well be.  There are other ways to decouple the volume control from the circuitry and still have it be active.

Steve N.