DIY Center Channel Speaker

christ

DIY Center Channel Speaker
« on: 22 Oct 2021, 11:54 am »
DIY Enclosed Center Channel Recommendations.
Looking at
     1)Parts-Exress AviaTrix-RST Sealed MTM Speaker
 Vs 2) GR-Research X-CS Encore for Center Channel Speaker

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
Re: DIY Center Channel Speaker
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2021, 08:20 pm »
I'm hesitant to bump a 30 day old thread, but I also didn't want you to go completely unanswered. 

I find no significant fault with either of those center channel designs.  For me the most significant factor for that decision would be what you currently have or intend to use in future for your front left and right channels. 

Without knowing any of that, if I were just picking my preference between the two you mentioned, my choice would be for the X-CS.

The entry level of components on the X-CS is simply higher performing, for both drivers and crossover components.  You will pay a little bit more for the X-CS but I believe it is easily worth that small price difference.

Good luck with the decision and the speaker build.

Elon

Elon@ezeescrossovers.com
ezeescrossovers.com
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2021, 06:16 pm by E-Zee »

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 23 Nov 2021, 06:11 pm »
As long as you don’t use them as a “sidewise” Mom (as shown in the GR Reaserach) either should be fine. Toole showed that sideways MTMs for centre is a marketing thing and not a proper designer thing.

Conside a single FR driver for centre.

dave

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2021, 08:05 pm »
[Floyd] Toole showed that sideways MTMs for centre is a marketing thing and not a proper designer thing.

Conside a single FR driver for centre.

The Revel Voice2: Floyd Toole's personal home theater center channel speaker. Looks like a MTM to me.
https://www.thescreeningroomav.com/single-post/2019/03/06/the-ultimate-real-world-home-theater-and-listening-room

"The base level surround loudspeakers are Revel Gem2s for unquestioned timbre matching to the Salon2s and Voice2 L, C, R array."

I seriously doubt a single full range driver could handle the demands of a center speaker and even if it could all 3 speakers: left, center, and right should be timbre matched.

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #4 on: 25 Nov 2021, 02:41 pm »
I would go the route of the CS from GR research. I could have sworn the X-CS could be used vertically. (MTM)

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 25 Nov 2021, 03:49 pm »
What do you have for L/R speakers?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2021, 04:05 pm »
I'd build a pair of X-Statics for the Left and Right speakers and the matching center channel.  For DIY you really can't beat the GR Research when it comes to performance for the $$.