Hey Guys

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
Hey Guys
« on: 20 Feb 2008, 04:50 am »
Hey guys - Just a quick note to say you all have a fellow Mac user as a contributor to TONE Audio Magazine now. My first column was just published in the latest issue. I'll be covering all things related to music servers and I'm a huge supporter of Mac computer based audio.

Talk to you guys soon.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Hey Guys
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2008, 10:03 am »
Thanks Chris.

Seems to me that there are many PC users that would love to "come out of the closet" and try a Mac.  I've always used PC at home/work, and now we have a PC network at home, but Macs fasinate me.  I tried PC based audio, but the continual PC, SB, and network glitches after weeks of struggles (with help) to get it running in the first place was enough to send me out of the water and slumming back to a CDP.

A guiding hand for the computer cavemen of us that barely know up from down would be a huge help.  Advice like, it's so easy just try it or getting bits and pieces, only fustrates (greatly).  Simply, detailed, and complete step by step instruction is needed.  What what I've read of your stuff, seems like you might be the guy.

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2008, 01:35 pm »
Thanks Chris.

but Macs fasinate me.  I tried PC based audio, but the continual PC, SB, and network glitches after weeks of struggles (with help) to get it running in the first place was enough to send me out of the water and slumming back to a CDP.

I was in that position about 3 years ago when Apple rolled out the Mini.  I thought I was going to use it just as a spare computer for music, photos.  How wrong I was.  It has become the main stay for computing in my desk.  It is not as if I had not had experiences with Macs before, but I had taken leave of the Mac world back in 1992 and also in 1996.  I think it is a great time to dip one's toe into the OSX world.  If you have anything else, such as monitor, keyboard etc... then, you can do so inexpensively. 

Also like you, I have dabbed into the server world with a SQ2, but I also found it unreliable and the GUI very awkward. 

The best attempt I had at music server is through the Mini playing tunes via an outboard USB DAC.  Not very expensive and the results were very listenable.  The hardest part of Mac computing is actually taking the plunge.

The Computer Audiophile

• Computer Audiophile
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2008, 02:53 pm »
Thanks for the kind words JLM. I think you are right on about people needing some basic instructions. I am working on that and many other things right now. My future columns will be much more centered around using a computer as a sourse and covering the different remote control options in depth.

If people post what they have tried to do in the past with a music server and were they failed or what help they wish they would have had, I may be able to zero in on some topics.

So far a really helpful topic seems to be an audiophile's guide to setting up a music server with plenty of step by step instructions and pictures. This may seem too basic for many readers, but I know it would be very beneficial for many. You should see my inbox!