Mac Compatible USB audio devices?

simon wagstaff

Mac Compatible USB audio devices?
« on: 13 Feb 2008, 03:59 pm »
I used to have a Yamaha DAV-u50 (or something like that) that I could use via a usb port to get audio out of my iMac (intel) and into an old NAD power amp and little monitor audio desktop speakers. I upgraded about a year ago to 10.4.1 or something and lost audio out, the Yamaha still showed up as audio input, not output. Reading the net revealed that for some reason a lot of usb out devices got left in the cold during the system update, never to be usable again, at least that was my take on it. I didn't want to drop big bucks but wanted something that would be compatible. So I have found this on the circuit city website and thought I would pass it along. anybody have any Leopard experience with this device? I will be updating next week. Looks to me like all I will need to do is get a 1/8" to stereo RCA jack adapters and I will be good to go, usb audio out with a volume control.  Also on clearance with free shipping from Circuit City.

Hopefully it will be compatible, anybody know?

thanks!

Creative Xmod
Model #: CL   SB0720
Customer rating:

Based on 16 ratings
• External audio enhancer
• X-Fi Crystalizer
• Plug & play
• For Mac® and PCs
Original Price:

$69.96
You save:

-$31.00

You pay:

$38.96

add to cart

Product description
Creative Xmod
Features

Make your MP3 music even better: Restore the details and richness that your music loses during MP3 compression. With Creative Xmod, you can turn all of your MP3s into your own personal concert and hear movies in virtual surround sound over stereo speakers or headphones.

Xtreme Fidelity technology: The X-Fi 24-bit Crystalizer breathes new life back into your songs and movies, enhancing the highs and lows. So, you get sound that goes beyond studio quality.

Plug and play: Upgrading to home theater quality audio on your PC is as simple as plugging into any USB port--no power adapter needed.

System requirements:
PC:
Windows® XP (Service Pack 2, x64 Edition or Media Center Edition)
Intel Pentium III (1GHz or equivalent) or AMD processor
256 MB RAM

Mac®:
Mac OS X v10.3.4
Mac computer

Available USB port

Crimson

Re: Mac Compatible USB audio devices?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2008, 04:10 pm »
Can't say why your Yamaha switched from an output to input device (did you check the settings in AudioMidi?), but it seems the Creative should work as long as it's a standard USB device.

simon wagstaff

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2008, 08:52 pm »
Yes, checked the settings in audio midi. it was weird. The Yamaha specifically was left inoperable after the update. i will get this new usb audio out adapter in the next few days and will post my findings when using it with Leopard.

thanks!

simon

simon wagstaff

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2008, 09:02 pm »
O.K., just got it a little while ago and i am happy to report that it seems to work as advertised. Upgraded to Leopard this morning, no problems. Shows up in the control panel as an input and output device. I have the extra things turned on and when run through my old NAD power amp and Monitor Audio MA-1 speakers sounds very nice.

Kind of cool to use the volume knob on the device as well as on the screen.

it seems to be compatible and is recommended, especially as it seems to be on sale right now.

Simon