Amount of toe in for 626R

audionoob

« on: 19 Sep 2003, 07:53 am »
I own a 626R and have been tweeking around with the pair for quite a while. I undertstand that many people are cross firing their 626R 1 or 2 foot infront of their listening area. I tried that setup and it sounded very good but the soundstaging is squashed. I also tried a much smaller toe in angle. I couldn't get the tonal balance  right but the soundstaging is great.

Can someone please explain to me the theory behind the extreme toe in of a VMPS setup? Can one get great soundstaging and good tonal balance at the same time?

John Casler

« Reply #1 on: 19 Sep 2003, 02:47 pm »
The convergene of the 626R is not a "one size fits all" procedure.

Brian suggests that the VMPS ribbons converge a foot or two in front of you, while I like an "on axis" position.

These two set ups do require slightly different set up procedures and will yeild slightly different results.

Crossing the Speakers in front of you will require that the pots be run slightly higher (not a lot mind you) to compensate for the off axis response.

Crossing in front of you may also yeild a larger sweet spot when moving to the left and right.

The "on axis" convergence that I like, will make the sweet spot position more critical, but it makes the listening result, more like wearing headphones.

It also allows you to place the speakers quite wide and still have an incredibly full soundstage and lazer sharp imaging, especially in the center.

As I mentioned, you may not have to run the pots quite as hot when using this "on axis" set up.  And if it is used in the nearfield, it can be breathtaking in its abilities with the 626R.

I have a special method for "converging" the 626 that I share with some of my clients.  It is difficult to explain, but since you are in LA, call post me and you can stop by and I'll show you.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2003, 05:01 pm »
I think it depends on how far you sit from the speakers.  Farther away (10 feet or more), the cross fire seems to work well.  Closer, and I like the speakers angled to fire straight at my ears (ie, directly on axis).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 19 Sep 2003, 05:03 pm »
Also, if you have the spiral tweeter, align the 626R's so that the midpanels line up with your ears.  If you have the FST tweeter, align the 626R's so that the tweeter is lined up with your ears (you just need to tilt the speakers from the rear a little more or less to accomplish this).

audionoob

« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2003, 12:37 am »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the on axis placement to hear the difference. I really like the sound with the cross firing placement, it just that the soundstage is some what compromise. It is also interesting to note that you need to turn the pot higher with the cross firing setup. Hmmmm maybe I will try that too. :D

warnerwh

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2003, 04:13 am »
Speaker placement can vary significantly from one room to another also.  Try moving them closer and farther away from walls at about a 1/2 at a time and that may help also.  You also learn alot this way but get better and faster at it too.

John Casler

« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2003, 04:24 am »
It is also interesting to note that you need to turn the pot higher with the cross firing setup. Hmmmm maybe I will try that too.

The higher pot setting is due to the fact that when you are listening "off axis" you are moving out of the vertical "dispersion" of the speaker.

This is heard as a decreased spl of the mids/highs.  Boosting the pots doesn't change the dispersion pattern but does boost spls of the mid/highs that are dispersed.

When listening nearfield and directly "on axis" you will find the sonic beam a little bright.

Moving further away and "off axis" might require boosting the pots.

I might also include that the bass and midbass drivers are not as limited dispersion and subsequently to maintain a balance the pot adjustment is the best way. :wink: