SEAS W18NX001

Hogg

SEAS W18NX001
« on: 18 Feb 2006, 12:27 am »
Dave,
     Have you tried substiutuing the subject woofer inplace of the W18EX001 in the 1801?  Thanks.

Jim

JoshK

SEAS W18NX001
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2006, 01:05 am »
Jim, you got W18NX on the mind don't you?  What has prompted your interest?  From what I've seen from first round tests, the Peerless Exclusive performs just as weel if not better for 1/3 the price.

Hogg

SEAS W18NX001
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2006, 01:32 am »
Hi Josh,

I do have this driver on my mind.  I believe the motor assembly in the SEAS Excel line is one of the best; but I've not heard a magnesium version that doesn't have a metallic sound, especially when driven hard.  I was hoping the Nextel cone material resolved these problems.  Thanks and hope to see you next weekend at Emil's.

Jim

TF1216

• Industry Participant
SEAS W18NX001
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2006, 12:35 pm »
Hello guys and hello Dave,

I actually have a pair of W18NX and the OW4s in hand.  I intend on building a 2-way speaker mating these new drivers together.

As far as XO design goes, I will be using a modded Behringer DCX2496.  I am nowhere near a cabinet builder or even a craftsman so there will be a few weeks between now and the completion of the speakers.

Keep your eyes open though for a small review! : Þ

Hogg

SEAS W18NX001
« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2006, 03:08 am »
That sounds pretty interesting.  Do keep us posted.  Thank you

Jim

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
SEAS W18NX001
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2006, 04:08 am »
Have you tried substiutuing the subject woofer inplace of the W18EX001 in the 1801?

I haven't.

I chatted with John Stone about this @ 2 years ago.  He said the magnesium cone would have less flex and less distortion.  However, I haven't chatted with John recently on this subject.  It could be that the cone design changed, and the new paper cone is actually stiff.  I'll ask him about this during our next discussion.

EProvenzano

Re: SEAS W18NX001
« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2006, 04:20 am »
Hello guys and hello Dave,

I actually have a pair of W18NX and the OW4s in hand.  I intend on building a 2-way speaker mating these new drivers together.

As far as XO design goes, I will be using a modded Behringer DCX2496.  I am nowhere near a cabinet builder or even a craftsman so there will be a few weeks between now and the completion of the speakers.

Keep your eyes open though for a small review! : Þ

How is your design coming along?  Any thoughts to share about the W18NX and OW4?

Thanks!

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2006, 12:28 pm »
My apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

I actually changed things up a bit.  I mated the W18NX with a North D28 tweeter and I paired the W18EX with a horn-loaded OW4. 

I am using the W18NX speaker with my electric piano right now so I have no real comments to make about it.

I receive my crossover components for the W18EX speaker tonight and I am hoping to bring the speaker to the first New England rave if we can fit it into the schedule for that Saturday.

I just purchased a version of SoundEasy so hopefully I can get to work on my own passive crossovers and better active filter tweeks.  This way I can better compare the speakers I have been building with friends.

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2006, 05:17 pm »
Dave,

Sorry to bother you, sir, but I was wondering if you would like the design for the W18EX with the horn-loaded OW4.  Dennis Murphy designed the crossover.  You inspired the design so maybe it may be something you might try for yourself or add to your website.  I have spare waveguides if you are interested.

I have actually spoken with you on the phone and you were extremely kind.  I hope all is well with you and your family.