• Set & Single Driver Bliss
Re: Lil Audio 15 vs Audio Nirvana 15, need help choosing one
« Reply #20 on: 28 Sep 2021, 05:35 pm »
Sorry double post :duh:

Mandevillela

• Nice wine…and audio stuff, enjoy both
« Reply #21 on: 28 Sep 2021, 10:23 pm »
Hi…I have the Cantuck Audio version of the lil audio 15s.  Amp is a vintage (1995) Welborne labs Laurel 300b, pre is a linear tube mz2.  Very nice together.  I also am using a set of powered subs, just to tighten the bas at the low end

joessportster

« Reply #22 on: 29 Sep 2021, 12:27 pm »
Great thing about the Lii F-15 is you can use pretty much any amp on the planet. I have used successfully. DHT 45 amps 2 wpc, Sayes 71a amp 3/4 wpc, Aloia 13i ss 25 wpc amp, 15 wpc gainclone amp, Will Vincent st70 35 wpc, Dynaco st 35 at 15 wpc, and a Finale / Triode lab 138 FFX at around 6 wpc, as well as others................

The drivers just seem to adapt to what ever gets thrown at them and sound great. I consider them one of my finest audio purchases ever made.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #23 on: 29 Sep 2021, 04:43 pm »
Great thing about the Lii F-15 is you can use pretty much any amp on the planet. I have used successfully. DHT 45 amps 2 wpc, Sayes 71a amp 3/4 wpc, Aloia 13i ss 25 wpc amp, 15 wpc gainclone amp, Will Vincent st70 35 wpc, Dynaco st 35 at 15 wpc, and a Finale / Triode lab 138 FFX at around 6 wpc, as well as others................

The drivers just seem to adapt to what ever gets thrown at them and sound great. I consider them one of my finest audio purchases ever made.
Good to know. I was contemplating buying the 18 but you may have changed my mind. Have you heard any of the Lii 10" drivers?

joessportster

« Reply #24 on: 29 Sep 2021, 08:10 pm »
Good to know. I was contemplating buying the 18 but you may have changed my mind. Have you heard any of the Lii 10" drivers?

I had the Crystal 10's for a while, (Same pair Kevin at Glow in the Dark Audio had) They are another very good driver. They tend to lean a bit more analytical like your lowther types. They have an extended range up top. But if you want FULL RANGE sound from a single driver the 10's are not it. Like most smaller  FR drivers they suffer in the low mid range and bass areas.............Paired with a helper Bass driver they are quite good maybe more open up top.

I Much prefer the dynamics of the larger drivers though, I pair my 15 with a bass driver and on Drum Tracks I have not heard anything better. I can get life like sound and feel.  I have used the very affordable Eminence alpha 15 with GREAT success, I have also used and still use the W-15 from Lii........The Lii goes deeper while I think the alpha is tighter...........Both are very good,  I cross in the bass at the  150 to 300 range, and allow the F-15 to play at full range

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #25 on: 29 Sep 2021, 10:04 pm »
I had the Crystal 10's for a while, (Same pair Kevin at Glow in the Dark Audio had) They are another very good driver. They tend to lean a bit more analytical like your lowther types. They have an extended range up top. But if you want FULL RANGE sound from a single driver the 10's are not it. Like most smaller  FR drivers they suffer in the low mid range and bass areas.............Paired with a helper Bass driver they are quite good maybe more open up top.

I Much prefer the dynamics of the larger drivers though, I pair my 15 with a bass driver and on Drum Tracks I have not heard anything better. I can get life like sound and feel.  I have used the very affordable Eminence alpha 15 with GREAT success, I have also used and still use the W-15 from Lii........The Lii goes deeper while I think the alpha is tighter...........Both are very good,  I cross in the bass at the  150 to 300 range, and allow the F-15 to play at full range
I have a pair of Fast 10s and a Goldwood 18" bass driver I intended to mount in an H baffle, but I'm trying to guess whether the Lii 15, alone, or possibly with one of my Yamaha subs for the lowest octave, say 50Hz down, might be a more sensible solution. I've even toyed with the idea of the Goldwood 18 in an H-baffle and the Lii 15 atop in an open baffle would work.
At the price, it might be an idea to buy the Lii 15, compare it with the Fast 10 and find out for sure. Any of these drivers would be an easy sell if it turned out they were not the best choice.
Some of the reviews on the Lii site for the 15 widerange are very convincing...

joessportster

« Reply #26 on: 30 Sep 2021, 01:13 pm »
I had the Goldwood 18 in an H-Frame for a while they are very good indeed. The Fast 10 are a decent driver but they wont hold a candle to the F-15..............The F-15 over the Goldwood would make for a FULL range set up that is hard to beat

My biggest gripe with the OB some time ago was height of the sound stage. I figured out though, the further you can pull them out into the room the higher the stage gets. I now have a sound stage that can reach the ceiling with some artifacts of some tracks, and extends a good 10 feet past the sides of the speakers

joessportster

« Reply #27 on: 30 Sep 2021, 01:39 pm »
heres a crude diagrahm of my listening setup. I am approx 6-7 feet away from the speakers the left speaker is open on the side to a hall way, and the right speaker is open on the side to the kitchen except for a short wall (which I would love to lose but cabinets wont allow)
there is ZERO room treatment with hard wood floors and large rug centered in the room walls and ceiling are drywall. I do get echo with the clap test. I dont perceive any sound quality issues with the music though.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #28 on: 30 Sep 2021, 08:12 pm »
I had the Goldwood 18 in an H-Frame for a while they are very good indeed. The Fast 10 are a decent driver but they wont hold a candle to the F-15..............The F-15 over the Goldwood would make for a FULL range set up that is hard to beat
If you did build an H frame Goldwood 18 and F-15 above it would you low pass the 18 and highpass the 15, or let the 15 (and the 18?) run full range?
Thanks for your valuable input.

joessportster

« Reply #29 on: 1 Oct 2021, 12:39 pm »
I Let the 15 run full range, I reverse phase on the 18 and low pass it at between 150 and 300 Hz (depends on room and personal preference)...........I do not like vocals on the bass driver. I found the crown XLS amps are perfect for a bass amps I use the XLS1002 (350.00 new) there are of course dozens of options for the bass amp with built in crossover

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #30 on: 1 Oct 2021, 10:46 pm »
Thanks again for the information. Wouldn't reversing phase (or polarity) on the 18 tend to cancel bass up to the low pass frequency, since the 15 is running full range?

joessportster

« Reply #31 on: 3 Oct 2021, 12:40 pm »
I read somewhere that it improves Bass. I tried it and have not turned back

Joe

Poultrygeist

« Reply #32 on: 15 Oct 2021, 11:16 am »
The 12 inch Zenith alnico's are hard to beat in open baffles. Mr. Glow-in-the dark liked them without tweeters and bass woofers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #33 on: 15 Oct 2021, 11:23 am »
What value are this cap in the tweeter?