Would the Sawafuji Dynapleat Dynaribbons be an upgrade for ST's?

davidc1

So, if I came across enough Sawafuji Dynapleat Dynaribbons to replace the 5in cone midranges in my 1990 (or so) Super Towers, would this be a worthwhile upgrade? Would I need to change the crossover from the QSO Holosonics? Cause there may be some around....

John Casler

I can't answer your question, but I did have a whole box of those drivers left over from the factory.

No one seemed to want or need them, so I gave them to Goodwill and hopefully some DIY'er found them useful.

davidc1

LOL, perhaps the person who bought them at Goodwill is trying to sell them. There are a couple guys selling them on Reverb, one says he has many and could make me a great deal. One guy selling for $160/pr...he's the guy who says he can give me a deal, another selling a pair for $60. I'd do it if I knew that they were better than standard dynamic 5 1/4in, and if they didn't require any significant crossover changes for Super Towers. I believe Brian only used them for a short time before he switched to some other type of planar midrange. I  think they were used in the FF series, right? But don't know if they were ever used in the Super Towers. I also wonder if the Neo Panels could be adapted for the Super Tower as the midrange, as I have some of those...but I need one more. Anybody have any ideas or comments?

GeorgeAb

David,

Unfortunately, it is a tad more complicated then slapping a neo in place of midrange speaker. That said, it could be done. My guess is that the 5 1/2" drivers are set up to go lower than 250Hz which means it should NOT be done. You need to start by finding the lowpass frequency and then if above 250Hz you can match the sound pressure level (SPL) of the neo to the midrange driver, and lastly match the impedance of the likely 4 or 8 ohm mid range to the 5 or 3 ohm neo (depending on variant) to minimize impact on bandpass filter. 

Here are a couple ways to figure it out lowpass frequency, one by calculating the other by measuring. Figure the cutoff frequencies of the pass band for the midrange by looking at values of appropriate inductor and capacitor. There are online calculators or calculate yourself: cutoff frequency = 1 / (2 * pi * (square root of L * C)). If the high pass is above 250Hz, you should be good. You could also reverse engineer by playing a 1 volt sinewave in the midrange and then lower the sinewave frequency and when it gets to .7071 volts note the frequency as you are the cutoff of the high pass. Again if above 250Hz you are good to go. Likely the answer is not above 250Hz.

Next concern is matching sound pressure level.  You could play some 1 Khz test tones and use Room EQ Wizard to take some measurements of the SPL or run sweeps with 5 1/2" drivers. The neos are quite sensitive so you will likely need to attenuate (voltage divider like an L-pad) to get a similar SPL for the same input as the 5 1/2" driver.

Oh and when you add a voltage divider to match SPL you are effecting the bandpass frequency, but if you make the divider (top and bottom of L pad) same resistance as existing midrange driver resistance and mid portion of L pad to neo + you can minimize resistance effects of new neo driver on bandpass filter.   

davidc1

David,

Unfortunately, it is a tad more complicated then slapping a neo in place of midrange speaker. That said, it could be done. My guess is that the 5 1/2" drivers are set up to go lower than 250Hz which means it should NOT be done. You need to start by finding the lowpass frequency and then if above 250Hz you can match the sound pressure level (SPL) of the neo to the midrange driver, and lastly match the impedance of the likely 4 or 8 ohm mid range to the 5 or 3 ohm neo (depending on variant) to minimize impact on bandpass filter. 

Here are a couple ways to figure it out lowpass frequency, one by calculating the other by measuring. Figure the cutoff frequencies of the pass band for the midrange by looking at values of appropriate inductor and capacitor. There are online calculators or calculate yourself: cutoff frequency = 1 / (2 * pi * (square root of L * C)). If the high pass is above 250Hz, you should be good. You could also reverse engineer by playing a 1 volt sinewave in the midrange and then lower the sinewave frequency and when it gets to .7071 volts note the frequency as you are the cutoff of the high pass. Again if above 250Hz you are good to go. Likely the answer is not above 250Hz.

Next concern is matching sound pressure level.  You could play some 1 Khz test tones and use Room EQ Wizard to take some measurements of the SPL or run sweeps with 5 1/2" drivers. The neos are quite sensitive so you will likely need to attenuate (voltage divider like an L-pad) to get a similar SPL for the same input as the 5 1/2" driver.

Oh and when you add a voltage divider to match SPL you are effecting the bandpass frequency, but if you make the divider (top and bottom of L pad) same resistance as existing midrange driver resistance and mid portion of L pad to neo + you can minimize resistance effects of new neo driver on bandpass filter.

Thanks for your excellent advice as usual George...these are the Sawafuji Dynapleat Dynaribbons I was referring to. What do you think.

https://images.app.goo.gl/7kLvw4horMUGZ5s66

https://images.app.goo.gl/MBX54md1UNHmiFg97

https://images.app.goo.gl/z8xGYAYsXt7PNBLbA

ST86

I had Supertower/Rs for a long time, Last year changed to RM40s. I went through finding the woofers to mids crossover frequency when I changed woofer drivers and again when I changed mid drivers.  Both were bought from Brian.  When I bought the new mids he suggested changing the woofer to mid crossover inductor.  I also ended up checking the crossover frequency.  My paperwork (speakers bought as a kit) said crossover should be 600 Hz.  With new inductor value and new drivers Brian said the crossover should have moved to 450 Hz, to help eliminate a 1K suckout from the original drivers and crossover.  I tried various frequencies inputted at 1VRMS to determine where the cutoff frequency is (where the measurement at the driver changes to 0.707VRMS) but never got a clear answer.  Probably pilot error....  Got very confusing readings and thought it might be due to the series crossover arraignment of the woofers.  With a series crossover if you change one item it affects everything else.  Bottom line, I suggest trying the same method.  Input various frequencies at 1VRMS, see what frequency ends up at 0.707V at the driver terminals.  You may have better luck than me.  Even if you get good data with the original drivers you will still need to tweak the crossover components for the new mids to get the crossover frequency that you want. 

Ed