Stand Mount Open Baffle Speakers

mccarty350

Stand Mount Open Baffle Speakers
« on: 24 Dec 2020, 09:26 pm »
Does such an animal exist, i.e. the 'bookshelf speaker' of open baffle for midfield listening?

Here is my ask:
1.  Stand mount
2.  Passive crossover components (if any...not dsp based)
3.  Single amp powered
4.  I have dual subs so bass is not a huge consideration
5.  Can be crossed over at 100hz at it's lowest so that my subs don't have to extend over 100hz and induce directionality.

I know that there are things that likely make this a tough design guideline to fulfill i.e. unless it's a full range we're talking passive crossovers or multiple amps.  The fact that it's open baffle and not near field (in my use case I'm talking 4-6' out) probably means a larger drivers is needed to generate SPL's.

Any thoughts on if such a design or animal exists that is any good?

Early B.

Re: Stand Mount Open Baffle Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2020, 01:09 am »
Check out GR Research. Danny has 2 or 3 stand mount OB DIY options. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of anyone else who sells what you're looking for.

Eventually, you'll want to grab a set of subs that cross over above 100Hz to pair with them. Danny has those, too.

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2020, 01:53 am »
Does such an animal exist, i.e. the 'bookshelf speaker' of open baffle for midfield listening?

Here is my ask:
1.  Stand mount
2.  Passive crossover components (if any...not dsp based)
3.  Single amp powered
4.  I have dual subs so bass is not a huge consideration
5.  Can be crossed over at 100hz at it's lowest so that my subs don't have to extend over 100hz and induce directionality.

I know that there are things that likely make this a tough design guideline to fulfill i.e. unless it's a full range we're talking passive crossovers or multiple amps.  The fact that it's open baffle and not near field (in my use case I'm talking 4-6' out) probably means a larger drivers is needed to generate SPL's.

Any thoughts on if such a design or animal exists that is any good?
Spatial Audio has a scaled down version of their bigger speakers in development that should fit the bill. He has posted a picture or two, so they do exist in prototype form. Send him a message to see if he's ready to share any details yet.

LostInPA

Early B.

« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2020, 04:28 am »
https://manzanita-audio.com/manzanita-cv

Whoa!!  A "stand mount" with a 15" woofer. Kinda defeats the purpose. I'm OK with it, though. My OB stand mount has an 8" woofer, but I'd love to try a 3-way OB "bookshelf" speaker with a 12" woofer for a potentially bigger sound in a medium size room.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2020, 05:51 am by Early B. »

mccarty350

« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2020, 05:47 am »
Thanks all and Merry Christmas!  I'm going to parse through your links and look at the options presented!

Thanks,

John

mccarty350

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2020, 05:51 am »
Check out GR Research. Danny has 2 or 3 stand mount OB DIY options. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of anyone else who sells what you're looking for.

Eventually, you'll want to grab a set of subs that cross over above 100Hz to pair with them. Danny has those, too.

I just looked over all of the DIY kits and I didn't see any stand mounted open baffle designs but I could be totally off base and have missed something.  If you have a link or links send 'em ;)

Also my subs can go over 100 hz but once you go over 100 hz the sound becomes directional requiring that you put your subs near the position of your bookshelf speakers.  I'd rather have my subs in locations where they are least likely to activate a room node.

mccarty350

« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2020, 05:53 am »
Spatial Audio has a scaled down version of their bigger speakers in development that should fit the bill. He has posted a picture or two, so they do exist in prototype form. Send him a message to see if he's ready to share any details yet.

Took a look around the site.  Way above a price point I'd consider although I failed to put monetary boundaries around my questions.

mccarty350

« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2020, 05:57 am »
Whoa!!  A "stand mount" with a 15" woofer. Kinda defeats the purpose. I'm OK with it, though. My OB stand mount has an 8" woofer, but I'd love to try a 3-way OB "bookshelf" speaker with a 12" woofer for a potentially bigger sound in a medium size room.

Wow, it does seem to be a 'stand mount' form factor even with the 15 right???  Surprised me but still very cool.  Given the prices and simplicity of open baffle I'd prefer to build my own based of of a design rather than pay several thousands for a pre-assembled product.  I'd rather the money go to quality drivers.

What is your OB stand mount consisting of?  Did you build it yourself?

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2020, 07:08 am »
Given the prices and simplicity of open baffle I'd prefer to build my own based of of a design rather than pay several thousands for a pre-assembled product.  I'd rather the money go to quality drivers.

What is your OB stand mount consisting of?  Did you build it yourself?

Mine was designed by GR Research, but someone else built it.

Build this one and prepare to have your mind blown:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165101.0

happyrabbit

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2020, 12:16 pm »
Maybe this design..  its interesting. 

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa6ia2-shinjitsu-audio-bl-horn-wood-daisho-generation-2-pair-full-range

Another possibility..

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171869.0

I own these. I realize these speakers are not a true OB designs. 

Dwight
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2020, 01:59 pm by happyrabbit »

mccarty350

« Reply #11 on: 25 Dec 2020, 03:20 pm »
Mine was designed by GR Research, but someone else built it.

Build this one and prepare to have your mind blown:  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=165101.0

Not stand mounted.  I built a pair of Linkwitz LX521.4 OB's and have had them for 6 years but they are in my main listening room.  Caveat is stand mounted open baffle design.

mccarty350

« Reply #12 on: 25 Dec 2020, 03:27 pm »
Not stand mounted.  I built a pair of Linkwitz LX521.4 OB's and have had them for 6 years but they are in my main listening room.  Caveat is stand mounted open baffle design.

All floor standers not stand mounted.  I just discovered that the Manzanita is documented at DIY audio and it hits all the salient points, that one may be the winner.

I'll add:
Not high cost for my first OB stand mounter (I already have Linkwitz LX521.4's for floor standers...I'm done with floor standers for life they were a game ender for me)
Prefer DIY or kit so that the cash goes into the drivers and I love woodworking since my day job is in an office and I like to do things with my hands, just looking to see if there are any other ideas.

Most recommendations have been floorstanders or very expensive products.  For now I prefer to test a proof of concept in that small stand mount form factor in that room before throwing thousands.

I'm not averse to spending tons of money on audio - I do it all the time, just not for this project at this time considering the thousands I just spent recently (AVA amp on order, pair of Usher BE-718's, etc....endless stream of gear feeds this addiction)

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 25 Dec 2020, 04:34 pm »
Not stand mounted.

The NX-Otica MTM in the link provided is definitely stand mounted. You may be confusing it with the NX-Otica which is a floorstander.

Good luck with the Manzanita. Keep us posted with a build thread.   

TomS

« Reply #14 on: 25 Dec 2020, 04:56 pm »
Took a look around the site.  Way above a price point I'd consider although I failed to put monetary boundaries around my questions.
These are not on the site yet, much lower priced, I believe less than $2k. You'd need to email or call.

mccarty350

« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2020, 05:14 pm »
The NX-Otica MTM in the link provided is definitely stand mounted. You may be confusing it with the NX-Otica which is a floorstander.

Good luck with the Manzanita. Keep us posted with a build thread.   

I was looking at the wrong item you were correct!  The MTM looks like it clocks in at 1200-1300 for the kit - very cool looking speaker and design, more than I want to spend on an open baffle stand mount experiment at this time.  I'm going to chew on the Manzita, if I pull the trigger I will definitely post a build thread!

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2020, 05:41 pm »
What am I missing?

The $1200 NX-Otica is too pricey, yet you are considering the $2000 Manzanita?   :scratch:

Never heard either, but based on all the consistently glowing NX-Otica praise from seasoned hobbiests that have experienced tons of really good gear, I'd be heavily leaning to the NX-Otica.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2020, 08:51 pm by sunnydaze »

mccarty350

« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2020, 08:29 pm »
I'm considering the 300 bucks in drivers Manzanita DIY product not the $2000 finished product I think that's the piece you are missing. 
Here is how much and what the $2000 Manzanita costs if you build it yourself....300-400 bucks between drivers and crossover components.  Fun little project.
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110583-fast-fun-inexpensive-ob-project.html

My LX521.4's were 4-5 grand in components, leverage all seas drivers including 4 x custom fulfilled (by Sigfried Linkwitz via Seas) 10" seas woofers, have a 100% active crossover implemented in minidsp and are driven by 4 channels at 120 wpc per side, each driver receiving dedicated power to in it's frequency band:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/LX521_4.htm

I already have endgame open baffle speakers.  I'm just looking for a stand mount passively crossed over project that is stand mounted and not a prefinished high end product if that makes sense.  I just enjoy building things during quarantine and working with my hands.

Here's my (dirty and a bit dusty) pair below, my finishing work isn't perfect but from a few feet away they look good.  It took me about 6 months to get them assembled and finished, mostly because Seas shut down for some multi-month European holiday and delayed the arrival of my woofers!:

mccarty350

« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2020, 08:35 pm »
https://manzanita-audio.com/manzanita-cv

LostinPA I like your recommendation a lot and already read up on them.  Have you already heard them or were you just familiar? 

sunnydaze

« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2020, 08:51 pm »
Sorry, didn't realize the Manzanita is also available in DIY kit form.   I just looked at the site that was linked.  Don't see it there.