OB bass. Can anyone clarify this please.

ooheadsoo

Re: OB bass. Can anyone clarify this please.
« Reply #20 on: 10 Oct 2020, 07:34 am »
How about using a preamp that has a second set of outputs?

I happen to be using a Rotel rmb 1066 for an all active setup. I used to use a preamp  with the second set of outputs used for pairing subwoofers.

Bumpy

« Reply #21 on: 10 Oct 2020, 09:03 am »
How about using a preamp that has a second set of outputs?

I happen to be using a Rotel rmb 1066 for an all active setup. I used to use a preamp  with the second set of outputs used for pairing subwoofers.

Nice idea. I have a passive (expensive) preamp with 3 inputs in a vertical row (I only use 1) and one output to the outside. Can you technical people tell me if it could be rewired to provide a second output. I am no expert at this, but picture removing the connection to one of the unused inputs and taking a wire across from the output instead.

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2020, 12:40 pm by Bumpy »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #22 on: 10 Oct 2020, 01:24 pm »
Does your separate amp have a volume control?

A y connector can used for the 2nd output, try to keep the lengths as short as possible.

Bumpy

« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2020, 02:22 pm »
Does your separate amp have a volume control?

A y connector can used for the 2nd output, try to keep the lengths as short as possible.

The second amp does have a volume control. I guess this is so you can balance the volume of the bass relative to the mids.

Is using a Y piece preferable to modifying the passive volume control. I am OK with a soldering iron just following instructions. I am hesitant in terms of SQ to stack up RCA connectors and extra wire, and internal re-wiring of the passive VC is like adding a Y piece inside. :)
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2020, 03:51 pm by Bumpy »

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2020, 09:21 pm »
You can use a speaker to line level converter and not even use the passive.

Buy or build.

Russound

Bumpy

« Reply #25 on: 10 Oct 2020, 10:28 pm »
You can use a speaker to line level converter and not even use the passive.

Buy or build.

Russound

I have looked at that, but I favour the modified passive..  You seem to be avoiding that option, so am I to assume it’s not viable?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2020, 12:07 am »
I have looked at that, but I favour the modified passive..  You seem to be avoiding that option, so am I to assume it’s not viable?

Just giving the options, you decide.

Changing the passive is just a matter of reconnecting a few wires.

Bumpy

« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2020, 06:58 am »
Just giving the options, you decide.

Changing the passive is just a matter of reconnecting a few wires.

I didn't want to seem ungrateful, but I needed a definitive answer to give me the confidence to proceed. Its certainly not my area of expertise. A few months ago I followed instruction from the Web on attenuating a different passive VC which resulted in my putting 1000w through a pair vintage Saba Greencones.  The ensuing fireworks somewhat destroyed my confidence and the drivers:) Hopefully this explains why I check everything twice.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2020, 06:01 pm »
Is using a Y piece preferable to modifying the passive volume control. I am OK with a soldering iron just following instructions. I am hesitant in terms of SQ to stack up RCA connectors and extra wire, and internal re-wiring of the passive VC is like adding a Y piece inside. :)

re: speaker level to rca converter

:dunno:

Either way will work and yes you can change an input to another output.

Bumpy

« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2020, 10:33 pm »
Thanks so much.