VMPS Tower II SE rebuild questions

whit1950

VMPS Tower II SE rebuild questions
« on: 28 Mar 2020, 08:12 pm »
Forum:  I have refoamed the PR's suspension  and replaced both tweeters.  I used the spiral super tweeters I bought from VMPS and Focal TC120TD5's for the TC120's. 
             I got the Focals from Zalytron and they informed me that they would work and be an improvement.  So far, so good, as I found I needed to turn down the tweeter
             pot for the Focals but I like them now as they were a little on the "bright" side compared to the originals.  I've read now here they may not be a good direct
             replacement and I'm wondering why that may be?  Also when removing both sets of tweeters the foam surrounds have to be removed to get to the screws
             which destroys the foam as it deteriorates to dust like the woofer surrounds.  I would like to replace the foam but clueless as to where  to find some or what
             spec it needs to be.  They also had a slight taper to them; what difference, if any, will that make if not replicated?  Thanks for any info/opinions I receive.  I still
             think this speaker puts many to shame and I got them about 1995  and haven't been able to get to this until retirement.  Stay safe out there, Whitout           

RSorak

• Facilitator
Re: VMPS Tower II SE rebuild questions
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2020, 11:06 pm »
The original Focal 120's that came w VMPS speakers were unique, in that they used fiberglass domes....rather than the Kevlar in the standard ones. They supposedly sounded better to Brian.