Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles

diyman

Re: Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles
« Reply #80 on: 10 May 2020, 04:41 am »
If you said you can hear nothing I will believe you, as I aware some persons have hard hears usually harmed by years of hard work inside industrial plants or electric motors or noisy engines of any type.

But it should be noted that the ears and hands of talented musicians are many levels above the paltry workers like us. I will decline the privilege of educating you, go disturb someone else.

This has nothing to do with my hearing.  It's about basic electronics.  The only way to modify a signal, and thereby change the music that is heard from the speaker, is to introduce some combination of resistance, capacitance, and inductance, i.e. a filter, into the signal path. A small binding post possess none of those electrical properties when connecting two wires close together and therefore cannot change what the listener hears.

I'm sorry that you feel disturbed about this, but my reason for even bring it up to begin with is that I don't think it's appropriate to advise people against using binding posts when they build speakers.  With any decent quality post there is no possible downside.  Plus the convenience for easy connection and speaker changes is certainly a worthwhile thing that most want to have.

And if I feel the need for education, or I should say reeducation, on the subject I'll pull out my old electrical engineering text books from college.  But I don't think I really need to.  I remember the principles quite well.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #81 on: 10 May 2020, 07:46 am »
The only plausible electrical effect of which I'm aware not addressed by the usual resistance, capacitance and inductance aspects usually cited by those with electrical engineering backgrounds is the possible diodic effect caused by oxidation at metal junctions. I wonder, but don't know, if some sort of diodic effect could also be caused by junctions of dissimilar metals even when not seriously oxidized. I can easily see how any actual diodic effect would cause waveform symmetry to be altered, which would affect tonality: witness the natural assymetry of certain instruments' sound waveforms—I've seen surprisingly assymetrical waveforms when recording certain brass instruments, trombone, especially. I presime the assymetry forms part of the distinctive sound signature.

As to wire wrap—I know it's not realistic, it's just that I understood it to be the very best technique for lowering resistance at connections—better than any solder—due to the 'cold welding' effect of the extreme contact pressure at the corners.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #82 on: 10 May 2020, 11:18 pm »
Aren't most binding post, cables RCA terminations and power cords spades/bananas made out of brass or copper?
Which one is better?
Dan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #83 on: 10 May 2020, 11:23 pm »
Copper is better for electrical transfer, brass contains lead.

RDavidson

« Reply #84 on: 11 May 2020, 03:27 am »
Yeah. Brass is only for durability.

Sandals123

« Reply #85 on: 25 Jun 2020, 05:04 am »
Hi, I just found this thread as I was researching the Lii15. I have a Triode Labs SET 2A3 amp with a whooping 3.5watt output and a Triode Labs Au Pré preamp. Do you think that in my medium size room that there is enough power? Has anyone ordered from Caintuck into Canada - any idea of shipping and tax?

Thanks
Alan

beowulf

« Reply #86 on: 25 Jun 2020, 05:58 am »
Hi, I just found this thread as I was researching the Lii15. I have a Triode Labs SET 2A3 amp with a whooping 3.5watt output and a Triode Labs Au Pré preamp. Do you think that in my medium size room that there is enough power? Has anyone ordered from Caintuck into Canada - any idea of shipping and tax?

Thanks
Alan

I've heard both Randy and Steve Deckert run them with the 2 watt Zen Triode.  I think the 2A3 amp should be fine, but check with Randy first.  He is very responsive on the Decware forums here: https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?board=randy

Sandals123

« Reply #87 on: 25 Jun 2020, 03:07 pm »
Thanks!

I have reached out to Randy and he has suggested that the 2A3 would be fantastic with both the Betsy and the Lii15. I am sure that the larger driver would be a better fir for my room, but any thoughts on the original Betsy Vs. the larger driver?

DavidS

« Reply #88 on: 25 Jun 2020, 03:26 pm »
I was running a pair of Lii 15 baffles with a Decware UFO (2 watts) last fall.  Could only get volume to about 1/2 way in my small room - lots of power.  Last winter had chance to buy a Triode Labs EL84 amp - more power, better iron - sound is just more of everything.  No problem driving the Lii15s with either amp - although heads up my room is only 12x13 and one of the reasons I sold my Spartial Audio M3s to go with the smaller Lii15s. (similar sound just better fit).  Loving this combo!

David

DavidS

« Reply #89 on: 25 Jun 2020, 03:33 pm »
should add that I am in Canada and purchased from Randy.  He was great to work with.  Shipping was around $80 - they are heavy little guys.  My speakers were really affordable for the quality  of the build - think the taxes and custom broker fees were around $100.  So definately adds a bit with US  / CA dollar exchange as well.  Was just thinking this week that I have had absolutely no desire to change things since getting the Caintucks and Triode Labs combo - a rare thing for me.  Have I maybe settled on what works for me and my room - I think a magical combo.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #90 on: 25 Jun 2020, 03:43 pm »
original Betsy Vs. the larger driver?
Bigger FR drivers are ever better, a 12'' FR driver already rare today imagine a 15'' FR driver for $400/pair, its a bargain, just read the stuff at decware site.

Sandals123

« Reply #91 on: 25 Jun 2020, 03:48 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I loved my Omega Super 3i because of their tone and speed but they co quite fill my room. I have a pair of Coherent model 8's that Frank built for me but they don't fill the single driver sound that I like.

Thanks for your advice and your experience in dealing with Randy for shipping to Canada, with the exch rate being what it is, I just wanted to understand what the costs might be.

The Lii15 sounds like a fantastic bargain!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #92 on: 25 Jun 2020, 03:52 pm »

Larpy

« Reply #93 on: 25 Jun 2020, 04:17 pm »
The Lii F15 drivers have been my primary speaker (in DIY barrel-shaped baffles larger than Randy uses) for the past 3 months and I really like them.  But Lii's published measurements seem over-optimistic to me. Granted, every room is different, but in my smallish listening room, the F15's frequency response looks more like the Classic Alnico 10 above.  In my room, the F15s drop off dramatically below 63 Hz and above 10K Hz.  And the mid-treble is, well, energetic.  Nowhere near as flat as Lii's frequency graph would suggest.

If you look at Lii's website, it looks as though they measure their speakers using a huge baffle:  looks like it might be as big as 6' x 8'.  That might explain the bass extension Lii claims for their speakers.

Sandals123

« Reply #94 on: 25 Jun 2020, 04:28 pm »
That is a beautiful graph! Kind of sums it up! As I have mentioned, I am a total non-tech, so I am thankful for people like you who are into the clever bits!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #95 on: 25 Jun 2020, 09:58 pm »
frequency response looks more like the Classic Alnico 10 above.  In my room, the F15s drop off dramatically below 63 Hz and above 10K Hz.
The chart start fall at 50Hz, to up this is need a well stuffed box(big).
The F15 graphic are too flat, hard to believe this kind of flat response.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #96 on: 22 Jul 2020, 05:27 pm »
Thanks for inform us Ric, hi mass connectors are always bad IMO, I think these parts were what they had on hand at the assembly time, anyway these drivers are very inexpensive.

What I dont like is the magnet metal cover, it obstruct the VC cooling, FR fans usually wrap the magnet in a furry blanket or felt, but that metal cup let me curious. Do you had removed the magnet metal cover from any driver to see if there is a sound inprovment?
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2020, 06:29 pm by FullRangeMan »

Budget_Mike

« Reply #97 on: 8 Sep 2020, 02:17 pm »
Greetings,

I attended Steve Deckert's annual get together, Decfest in early October. My primary interest was hearing two new driver offerings from Lii Audio, the F-15 and Crystal 10's in open baffle designs.  Steve had two beautiful, large 2" thick hardood baffle offerings and Randy from Caintuck Audio brought a pair of his new Lii 15 OB speakers in a smaller baffle, same size as his infamous Betsy Baffles.

While both the F-15 and Crystal 10 speakers sounded great, I was really drawn to the F-15 driver baffles. After my Decfest listening session I ordered a pair of Randy's Lii F15 baffles in Sapele and Maple hardwoods.  After only 50 hours (out of 250 hours for full burn in) I can only say these are one of the most satisfying stereo equipment purchases I've ever made.

These speakers are simply amazingly musical. The throw a tremendous 3D soundstage with excellent detail and speed.  I am now sold on open baffle designs with the right drivers.  These little open baffles also don't cost an arm and leg. A nice pair of hardwood options are less than $1K delivered.
NB

I realize this is a REALLY old post but I have to ask, How are they sounding today? (after the 250hrs) Do you still have them? I just recently placed my order so as you can imagine I'm excited and nervous.

Sandals123

« Reply #98 on: 8 Sep 2020, 03:54 pm »
Hi, I saw your post and thought I would comment. I bought a beautiful pair of Lii15 from Randy at Caintuck several weeks ago and I can say that in my system they are truly amazing. They take up very little space, they are easy to move into "listening position" and they provide huge WAF🙄. They are so interesting and beautiful that my interior decorator asked me how she can order them for clients..

Now, apart from their beauty, they are a joy to listen to and provide a window into the music that is difficult to find in a box type speaker. The soundstage is wide and its easy to forget about the gear and just relax into the music.

Budget_Mike

« Reply #99 on: 8 Sep 2020, 05:31 pm »
The soundstage is wide and its easy to forget about the gear and just relax into the music.

My order from Randy comes end of month! Went down the OB rabbit hole and landed on the Randy's Lii 15's. The aesthetics was an added unexpected bonus that was a real seller with the wife for sure. Your response was everything I wanted to hear and more. That large/wide sound stage will be idea will entertaining guests and even better sitting down with a glass of Whiskey... Now comes the difficult part...... being patient  :(