Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles

Budget_Mike

Re: Caintuck Audio The Lii 15 Baffles
« Reply #140 on: 1 Oct 2020, 04:06 pm »
I was just thinking the same. There has to be a balance and the sacrifice may be a little much.

Budget_Mike

« Reply #141 on: 1 Oct 2020, 09:09 pm »
A quick set up but instant difference :)

Sandals123

« Reply #142 on: 1 Oct 2020, 09:26 pm »
They look beautiful there, looks like they found a good home

Budget_Mike

« Reply #143 on: 1 Oct 2020, 09:38 pm »
My wife cannot stand music in the car passed a certain level, she said there's this background noise hum, a constant noise that leads to an overwhelming feeling.

Her description of the sound with these speakers are how clean they sound, the pause between each individual instrument, she described it as giving your ear a break between notes. I have the volume up past what would be her normal listening volume and she doesn't find these fatiguing AT ALL. Actually quite pleasant with every detail shining through individually.

I stood there in aw, our wives really do such a much better job describing this then we do LOL hahahaa

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #144 on: 2 Oct 2020, 03:50 am »
Wow this 18" FR are really making history in áudio,  the Lii guys really found something.

SPL seems 95dB,  freq range seems run til 12kHz,   the performance will depend if the cone is Light,  Qts seems ok for OB.

nature boy

« Reply #145 on: 2 Oct 2020, 02:23 pm »
Mike,

Congratulations on your Caintuck Lii 15 speakers, they look great. A few thoughts for your consideration. First, if you're your floor is a hard surface (not carpeted) consider placing a throw rug in front of the speakers. This will reduce reflections given how close the driver is to the floor.

Second, play around with placement and direction of the speakers. Feedback from owners indicates at least 2' preferably 3' from the rear wall is optimal. Also adjust toe in differing amounts. Start with drivers pointed directly at your listening position, then move outward until you find the best balance and soundstage. I've like mine firing about 24" from the sides of my ears, YRMV.

Enjoy.

NB

Budget_Mike

« Reply #146 on: 2 Oct 2020, 03:24 pm »
Mike,

Congratulations on your Caintuck Lii 15 speakers, they look great. A few thoughts for your consideration. First, if you're your floor is a hard surface (not carpeted) consider placing a throw rug in front of the speakers. This will reduce reflections given how close the driver is to the floor.

Second, play around with placement and direction of the speakers. Feedback from owners indicates at least 2' preferably 3' from the rear wall is optimal. Also adjust toe in differing amounts. Start with drivers pointed directly at your listening position, then move outward until you find the best balance and soundstage. I've like mine firing about 24" from the sides of my ears, YRMV.

Enjoy.

NB

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback and look forward to dialing in these bad boys. I'm currently keeping them a minimal of 3ft away from the front wall keeping in mind to have some diffusion placed in between speaker and front wall. Later on after this pic was taken I did exactly as you suggested. I placed a chair in the center and directed both speakers towards the listening seat. Then began to slowly toe them outwards. My goal (probably the same as everyone) is to create a large sound stage. When I'm alone I'll be able to have a center seat but with guests and/or wife present they'll be like they are in the photo. Still pleasant to listen to but not exactly in the "sweet spot"

I TOTALLY hear you on the area rug for reflections, especially with my floors being terrazzo but I lost that battle :( might have to have one I can remove and place "as needed" LOL

nature boy

« Reply #147 on: 2 Oct 2020, 03:35 pm »
Maybe two small throws that you can roll up in a hurry?😁

NB

Budget_Mike

« Reply #148 on: 2 Oct 2020, 03:39 pm »
Maybe two small throws that you can roll up in a hurry?😁

NB

I'm seriously looking into that RIGHT NOW.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #149 on: 2 Oct 2020, 09:05 pm »
This is the Lii F12:  Lii F-12

Seems the new F18 are no match for the F15:
« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2020, 10:07 pm by FullRangeMan »

Budget_Mike

« Reply #150 on: 2 Oct 2020, 11:24 pm »
I must say, I'm completely in love with these OB F15's and can I just mention the attention to detail on packaging!

Mmaxed

« Reply #151 on: 15 Nov 2020, 02:43 am »
These are very intriguing.  Can they do rock.  I am running Altecs now.   

pcprincipal

• Is perception reality?
« Reply #152 on: 16 Nov 2020, 07:29 pm »
These are very intriguing.  Can they do rock.  I am running Altecs now.

I am running Altec Duplex’s, I also want to know how they compare.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #153 on: 17 Nov 2020, 12:22 am »
I suspect power handling  is 50W, SPL are 97dB.
A sub is needed if you wish deep bass às church organ.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #154 on: 17 Nov 2020, 01:11 am »
My speakers made with 1.5in Birch hardwood from HomeDepot

RonN5

« Reply #155 on: 17 Nov 2020, 02:26 am »
Dsaldivar

Please comment on the sound.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #156 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:59 am »
RonN5,
The sound is kind of thin, a little bit shouty. I have only about 125 hours of playing time, perhaps more playing time is required to get a fuller sound. It is detailed and the low frequencies I do not think go below 60 Hz. My amp and preamp are going to be substituted with a LTA Z10 Integrated and in about 3 weeks I will take delivery of Spatial Audio X5 set of speakers.
I bought the Lii speakers more out of curiosity than anything else. My experience with them is that they really need a subwoofer for the sound to be better integrated at all frequencies.
Dan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #157 on: 17 Nov 2020, 09:48 am »
By the flat freq range chart the SQ could be great or...

RonN5

« Reply #158 on: 17 Nov 2020, 01:59 pm »
Dan....

I know that Randy at Caintuck and Steve at Decware both say that the shape of their baffle is a critical part of the sound.  I have no experience to say whether this makes sense or not.

It seems like 125 hours is plenty of time to get a decent idea of what the final sound will be like at the 200+ hour mark.

Maybe the 'shoutiness' is actually a lack of bass?  What is the L,W, H of your room?

As for the X5s, it will be interesting to hear your report on them...I suspect they will be pretty impressive.

nature boy

« Reply #159 on: 17 Nov 2020, 02:49 pm »
The F15 drivers in an open baffle are excellent speakers. You can change the sound a bit by adjusting the position of the speakers. I point the speakers about 24" outside the sides of my listening head position to get the best balance. While they don't produce deep bass, I have very satisfying bass response in my Caintuck Audio baffles. Placement of baffles on the floor are critical to decent bass response in these rather light weight hardwood baffles.

NB