2004 Retrospect & 2005 Changes

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #60 on: 21 Mar 2005, 12:08 am »
I would have to conclude that doing the best work or selling the best products actually bores people after a while.
\

Yes, I think this is true  :)  .

Also,

I raised the price of 1801s at the beginning of the year. This seemed warranted, but I felt compelled to be honest about the real reasons for this.  None of them had anything to do with a "new and improved 1801".

There are indeed a few things relatively "new" with the 1801.  First, the exhange rate USD versus EURO has changed dramatically over the past 18 months.  The end result is that my drivers are costing me about $50 more per pair of 1801s than they did in years past.  The SEAS and Hiquphon drivers are both sourced in Europe and the SEAS driver exchange rate impact finally arrived.  There is obviously no audible impact here.  Parts just became more expensive over time  :x

The other thing that changed is the port tube I use. The previous unit worked just find, and cost about $.30/ea.  This was very cheap.  Unfortunately my supply expired, and the supplier decided to discontinue this port  :x   . Then, they wouldn't tell me their source for the port tube  :evil:  :evil:  .  Argh, so... I searched for another similar (i.e. cheap) port tube. I couldn't find one.    The result is that the new port tube costs $16/pr .  It's a really slick & solid port setup, but I cannot convey that it sounds any better.  The big internal and external flange roundover looks very nice and should perform better, but only at very high excursion.

I also started putting stuffing foam in the 1801 kits. This cost me about $5.00 per 1801 kit.  This is a minimal cost item, but it'll save my customers a trip to Wal-Mart to purchase their @$14 mattress pad.

So, my inital $75 price increase for kits seemed questionable initially, but after some ancillary issues arrived, the end result is about $4 leftover for Dave  :)  .  I love it when a plan comes together   :roll: . I suppose I could be very frustrated with these events, but I have learned to chuckle in the face of unfavorable circumstances.

Jason1

« Reply #61 on: 1 May 2005, 12:58 am »
Wow, I didnt know you're in the USAF, and making some of the best speakers at the same time. I hope your not in maintenance, you do need to sleep  :nono:

All I can add to what everyone else has said is, you really should find a source for cabinets. Even if it means they will be slighty inferior to your work. You have to eliminate the backlog of orders, and get to the point where you have a stocked supply of speakers. Then send out review pairs every 6 months or so, to online mags like 6 Moons, Enjoy The Music, TNT Audio, Positive Feedback, and Soundstage. That would generate a ton of buzz, and sales that you could actually fulfill immediatly.

How do you justify it to yourself? You dont need to have speakers with woodwork quality of a $5000-$10,000 monitor, when your selling them for $1500.

Best of luck
Jason

Sean

bass alignment & performance changes
« Reply #62 on: 1 May 2005, 05:17 am »
Dave, i see that you've gone to a port with radiused ends.  This is a good thing.  I think that we discussed this a couple years back, but i'm not sure.  

I do have one question for you if you don't mind.  That is, when you went from a straight port to the radiused inlet and outlet, did you recalculate port dimensions?  While you know that i'm not a "vented" kind of guy, i do read and study about such things.  All of the data that i've seen when making such a change shows that the radiused port typically needs to be slightly longer in total length as compared to the straight port in order to achieve the same appr tuning.  I'd be curious as to the results of any testing / listening that you've experienced.  

On your comment about the radiused inlet / outlet only coming into play when the woofer is making longer excursions, this isn't necessarily true.  When properly vented with a radiused inlet / outlet, the alignment of the tuning remains much more consistent throughout the operating range of the loudspeaker.  This has to do with the fact that the velocity through the port remains more consistent regardless of the volume of air being displaced.  The reduction in turbulence at both ends of the port is what accomplishes this feat, making the speaker perform in a more linear fashion over a wider spl range.   In effect, this should make your speaker an even better performer, regardless of the listening level being used.  Audio Xpress had an article on this a while back confirming these effects.  

If you get a chance, drop me an email.  There's some other things i'd like to share with you that you might find interesting.  I've been "tinkering" with several different vented designs in the last year or so and have learned quite a bit in terms of how to improve their performance while minimizing their drawbacks.  While some of these "tweaks" readily improve loudspeaker linearity, whether or not someone ultimately enjoys the change in sound that they bring with them is up to the end user and personal preferences.  Sean
>

David Ellis

« Reply #63 on: 1 May 2005, 11:42 am »
I do have one question for you if you don't mind. That is, when you went from a straight port to the radiused inlet and outlet, did you recalculate port dimensions?

Yep, and it appears to be right on.  The old port was 5" x 1 7/8" diameter, and woked fine for @ 90% of folks.  Some guys wanted their port considerably shorter, as this provides more boom.  When I ordered the new 2" diameter port from http://www.psp-inc.com/ they said it should be about 6 3/4" tip to tail.  This includeds the flanges.  This is obviously longer than the old port.

I do understand a bit about the turbulenece linearity issues and the flange on the new port, but am not an aero-engineer and certainly can't get into the "nitty gritty" regarding this issue.  Yes, the new port might actually perform better.  It should actually perform slightly better, but this is almost a non-issue because the primary reason for the new port is... I can't buy the old one - darn it  :roll:  

I must admit that I have not experimented with the new port.  When I do (very soon hopefully), I won't be able to compare it to the old port.  A few of my customers have done this with good results.  I think one customer found 6 1/2" length and 2" diameter worked best well for him.

If you get a chance, drop me an email.
 I'd rather chat on the phone.  This generally makes better use of time.  What's yer' phone number?  I'll call you this afternoon, eh.

rmihai0

« Reply #64 on: 1 May 2005, 01:29 pm »
Finally, I got yesterday my first pair of Ellis 1801b. They were built by Jim Salk. How are they looking? Fabulous!!! How are they sounding? Awesome!!! I've tried and I listened before several "commercial" monitors/bookshelf speakers. I my humble opinion Ellis 1801b are BY FAR the best speakers under 3 GRANDS. Just to let you know what I tried before:
- VULCAIN Aida  
- APERTURA Mini - Kal
- DAVIS Nikita
- CHARIO Academy Millenium 2
- DYNAUDIO Contour 1.3 SE
- DYNAUDIO Contour S 1.4
- JM LAB Electra 907 Be
- B & W Nautilus 805
- DYNAUDIO Contour 1.3 Mk2
- JM REYNAUD Trenté

Now, you have to agree that this is a very select comparison.

And something else- I need to demistify something. Ellis 1801b are NOT hard to drive. My 60W per channel Thule IA60B can drive them easily without ANY effort. You don't need hundreds of watts to drive them.

David Ellis

« Reply #65 on: 1 May 2005, 01:59 pm »
And something else- I need to demistify something. Ellis 1801b are NOT hard to drive. My 60W per channel Thule IA60B can drive them easily without ANY effort. You don't need hundreds of watts to drive them.

Yep,  I fully agree.  60 GOOD wpc is all the 1801 will need.

I appreciate your subjective comments about the 1801 sound quality.  When you are able, please convey your subjective comments at www.audioreviw.com for the 1801.  This forum/string is the central location for customer feedback.

hubert

« Reply #66 on: 1 May 2005, 03:00 pm »

The new port might actually perform better...I must admit that I have not experimented with the new port.

IME,

My 1801 has self-made simple pvc 1.81" diameter / 4.72" lenght tube port. Its size equals the standard old port.
I have strictly no problem at any level I play.
So, or theorical "turbulence" laws don't affect my ears...or my ears don't hear "turbulence"... :o
However,I feel confortable to say that I'm able to hear all the 1801's qualitys. :D

Raoul's 1801 has the new flanged port, but, after tuning, it is shorter than the standard lenght; so I'm not able to make a serious comparison with mine.
However, here again, I feel confortable to say that stuffing and port's lenght tunings are much more important than the type of port shape: I can really hear a great difference between i.e. the second cavity stuffed or not and/or a 1" port lenght difference.
And, to say you the truth, I was really able to get the great sound from my 1801 only after a lot of tuning trys (less stuffing, maybe because I use four braces on front and back sides witch could break the waves?)...and Raoul too (large room, a lack of bass, shorter port). :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Carl V

« Reply #67 on: 2 May 2005, 01:23 pm »
I appreciate your subjective comments about the 1801 sound quality. When you are able, please convey your subjective comments at www.audioreviw.com for the 1801. This forum/string is the central location for customer feedback.

I must be very dense.  I was unable to find any 1801 link or thread.
Saw plenty of Dell speakers and an odd assortment of other non-speciality audio items.

Ron Stewart

• http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/
« Reply #68 on: 2 May 2005, 04:33 pm »

I must be very dense. I was unable to find any 1801 link or thread.
Saw plenty of Dell speakers and an odd assortment of other non-speciality audio items.

Dave left an 'e' out of the URL. Here's a direct link to the 1801 reviews at audioreview.com.

http://www.audioreview.com/speakers/main-speaker/Ellis%20Audio/PRD_125773_1594crx.aspx

My 1801F site also contains a a few more links to 1801-related sites.

http://home.hiwaay.net/~rgs/ellis1801f/links.html

Ron

fajimr

« Reply #69 on: 2 May 2005, 08:11 pm »
hi dave

I, too, am one of those who recently received your speakers and have not yet reviewed it.  My excuse is the same as others I have read here:  not feeling necessarily qualified to do so.

BUT since I know that it is important to you- I'd be happy to do so... and will.  I think that a simple reminder to those who have bought your speakers would suffice in most cases.  I think that part of it also might be the fact that one wants to listen for a while before reviewing and then simply forgets.

I bought my speakers from you based on two things: first by simply seeing your speakers on the audioreview site and second, seeing the presence you had on this site.  As such it might not be a bad idea to promote your speakers by putting testimonials on your own website.  I just went through and copied all the reviews from the audioreview site and it amounted to 57 pages!!!!  Since this site is accessible to the public, I don't see why you couldn't use some of these reviews on your own website in addition to the link to audioreview.com.  Just an idea- I’ve save the file and would be happy to send you the complete file via e-mail is you like.  I just hope you have a quick connection.

Other than that let US know what we can do for YOU.  I'd be happy to lend a hand in whatever way I can.  That's the idea of this community, right?  I've certainly taken a lot from it and would love to reciprocate.

David Ellis

« Reply #70 on: 2 May 2005, 11:50 pm »
My excuse is the same as others I have read here: not feeling necessarily qualified to do so.

I am pretty sure there are no "qualifications" necessary to write a review.  Heck, there are folks writing reviews for companies like $%!# on this stie.  Probably 50% of my customers have relatively ordinary electronics and ordinary listening preferences.  Simple comments from these folks are very helpful too.  While I did ordain the 1801 for my personal hifi preferences, other folks with other preferences have very valid comments.  Hence, these reveiws are indeed helpful.

Dave

rmihai0

« Reply #71 on: 3 May 2005, 01:47 am »
Dave,

I am having problems postinf my review on www.audioreview.com I don't know why but their web-site is acting strangely and is giving me error message. I already lost more then an hour trying just to post there my review (that was previously saved on Notepad). I am frustated and tired. I think I will try tommorow again. Also I think that is about the time that you will have to find a different forum or web-site where the customer can post their reviews. I am really upset and frustated about www.audioreview.com

Marbles

« Reply #72 on: 3 May 2005, 01:54 am »
Quote from: rmihai0
Dave,

I am having problems postinf my review on www.audioreview.com I don't know why but their web-site is acting strangely and is giving me error message. I already lost more then an hour trying just to post there my review (that was previously saved on Notepad). I am frustated and tired. I think I will try tommorow again. Also I think that is about the time that you will have to find a different forum or web-site where the customer can post their reviews. I am really upset and frustated about www.audioreview.com

Don't forget to post one here....

pem

• http://pemoreau.neuf.fr/speakers.html
« Reply #73 on: 7 Jan 2006, 10:10 am »
Dear all,

I wish you an happy new year.
I also hope, for 2006, that Dave will be very sucessfull in all his projects.

kind regards,
  Pierre-Etienne