How good is the Transcendence 5's headphone amplifier?

Val

I own AKG K501s and Etymotics ER-4S. Both are renowned for needing an amplifier for best sound, especially the AKG which are very inefficient. I wonder if AVA can give some ideas about this? I want to purchase a headamp and was thinking about the new Meier Corda Prehead and also the T5.

avahifi

« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2003, 03:32 pm »
Hi:

Thanks for considering an AVA product!

The Transcendence 5 preamp does include a headphone section; however, the strength of the T5 is its function as a preamp.  In comparing the T5 which is our entry model tube preamp with the Corda that is dedicated headphone only amp I would tend to think the dedicated headphone amp would be better.

Having said that, however, I think you would be very pleased with the Transcendence 7.  In the T7 the headphone stage takes its input from the line out stage so you will get all of the great sound that is delivered to a power amp along with a dedicated super fast and dynamic headphone section.  Using the Transcendence FetValve circuit where we use the best of a tube circuit with the best of Fet circuit you get an extremely nice sounding piece of equipment.  While this preamp in the SL chassis (no tone controls) is a bit more money than a dedicated headphone amp you do have the ability to run a power amp along with phones.

Hope this helps -- good luck with your selection!

Larry Jenkins

zimmer

« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2003, 11:48 am »
Thanks for the info re T7 - sounds interesting. Do you think it has the ability to adequately drive the AKG K1000s? Or would these earspeakers be better served used off one of your amps?
Thanks

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2003, 04:46 pm »
Hi:

With the K1000s I would suggest a power amp.  Using the T7 alone would not likely work too well.

Thanks for your interest in AVA products!

Larry Jenkins