jRiver 20

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: jRiver 20
« Reply #20 on: 3 Oct 2014, 12:44 am »
ughhh. I installed MC 20 on CAPs server last night and got it all up and running and then...no sound. Player shows play progress both on Jremote and Jriver but no sound. It's as if I've muted the system somehow.

I've changed output mode

rebooted

reinstalled

cussed

Done all I can think of

USB ports appear to be functional

Works fine on my desktop computer

Ideas anyone?

srb

« Reply #21 on: 3 Oct 2014, 01:29 am »
Peter,

I assume you're saying there was sound previously with an earlier version of JRiver.

Is there sound from any source, such as Control Panel > Sound > Playback > USB DAC > Properties > Advanced > Test (or similar area in Properties that has a Test button)?

Steve

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #22 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:04 am »
Thanks for your reply Steve. Yes, prior MC18 has been working since I built server. Found DAC via path you suggested and did get a test tone.

I'm outside my comfort zone here, but would that suggest that all is functional downstream of server?

I should add, at one point MC20 worked, I had accessed via iPad and it just kinda stopped...never to return.

srb

« Reply #23 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:31 am »
I'm outside my comfort zone here, but would that suggest that all is functional downstream of server?

Yes, that would suggest there is a problem in the JRiver configuration.

If the JRiver internal volume is set to 0 or very low you won't get any sound, even though the Windows mixer, or system volume control if enabled in JRiver, may show high volume.  The play progress bar (and remaining/elapsed time if configured in the display) will still increment, yet no sound.

You can make sure there is no volume setting problem if you go into Tools > Options > Audio > Volume Setting heading and select Volume mode: Disabled Volume.

Is the Spectrum Analyzer enabled in the info display (right-click on display, select Show Spectrum Analyzer).  If so, are there visible spectrum analyzer bars?

Steve

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #24 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:50 am »
Yes to spectrum analyzer, but I found problem via nudge on Jriver forum. The "audio device" needed to be set to my W4S DAC and all became well. I'm almost certain that it was working at one point under "direct sound", but at this point I don't care...

Music's on, I'm happy if not a little spent...

Thanks for the help!

srb

« Reply #25 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:56 am »
Glad you got it sorted out.  Direct Sound should also work, but only if the W4S DAC is set as the default playback device in Control Panel > Sound.

Steve

stereocilia

« Reply #26 on: 3 Oct 2014, 04:05 am »
You sure it did not go into a spam folder?  I may have paid by PayPal as well (don't recall).  I'm sure I paid that way at least for 18, 19 or 20.  As soon as I got the email I downloaded the key on the PC and then went on the music server and did the same so I would not forget.

Okay, JRiver is starting to piss me off. I requested an email from the "restore page" ( https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi ) several times in the last couple days, and I have not received an email. Then, I tried using the PayPal transaction ID from this page ( https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/paypal_support.cgi ) and I did not get an email.  Then, I tried registering for the forum to ask a question about it, and I can't get an email to validate my registration into the forum.  I get this message: "An error has occurred! -- A new activation email has successfully been sent."   Uh, which is it?  Am I doing something wrong? I have no emails from JRiver, and yes I checked my junk folder.

So, now I have one computer in trial mode and one registered, and I have no way to contact JRiver to fix it.  Do I have to pay twice to use it on two computers now? If anybody has advice or an email for somebody at JRiver they'd like to share I would be grateful.

Phil A

« Reply #27 on: 3 Oct 2014, 02:13 pm »
Okay, JRiver is starting to piss me off. I requested an email from the "restore page" ( https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/restore.cgi ) several times in the last couple days, and I have not received an email. Then, I tried using the PayPal transaction ID from this page ( https://rover.jriver.com/cgi-bin/paypal_support.cgi ) and I did not get an email.  Then, I tried registering for the forum to ask a question about it, and I can't get an email to validate my registration into the forum.  I get this message: "An error has occurred! -- A new activation email has successfully been sent."   Uh, which is it?  Am I doing something wrong? I have no emails from JRiver, and yes I checked my junk folder.

So, now I have one computer in trial mode and one registered, and I have no way to contact JRiver to fix it.  Do I have to pay twice to use it on two computers now? If anybody has advice or an email for somebody at JRiver they'd like to share I would be grateful.

If worse comes to worse, you can PM me your e-mail address and I (or whomever) can go on the Interact Forum.  You can also sent a complaint to PayPal.  I have to say they are pretty responsive.  I ordered stuff from Parts Express and had not ordered from them in about a year and a half.  I corrected my PayPal address, which Parts Express got with their order many months before that purchase (and had several items paid for via PayPal before that transaction).  The Parts Express system overrode the PayPal address.  They sent it to my old address and I called Parts Express and they told me just to pay via credit card and I'll get a credit when the stuff comes back.  They lied.  They wanted to charge me expensive shipping back and forth for their mistake.  Rather than argue, I told them I had an e-mail from PayPal and I'd just file a complaint with the BBB and then they could answer it.  I filed the complaint and it got taken care of.

stereocilia

« Reply #28 on: 3 Oct 2014, 03:53 pm »
ugh. That sounds like a nightmare. I may take you up on the offer if this doesn't get resolved; thank you!

It's almost as if JRiver has blocked itself from sending me an email. I keep checking my junk folder and deleted files...nothing. I wrote a reply to mediacenter@jriver.com.  I received a reply indicating that their server logs show delivered emails to my account.  So I added @jriver.com to my safe senders list.  We'll see what happens.

stereocilia

« Reply #29 on: 3 Oct 2014, 04:21 pm »
update: I received a personal email from somebody at jRiver with my registration code, and he manually activated my interact account. I probably won't be at the jRiver computer until Sunday to make sure it works, but it looks like this is resolved. So, good on them. It's still weird that I didn't get any of the emails.

dburna

« Reply #30 on: 5 Oct 2014, 06:23 pm »
woodsyi, you are in for a shocking improvement.
Scotty

I will second this view.  I am using the trial version of JRiver 20 for now and it sounds glorious.  Vast improvement over the older version of Pure Music I am using now.  I can't see going back to PM at this point given that JRiver also works so much better (more features, fewer bugs, more stable).

Thanks for the tip, Scotty.

-dB

Soothsayerman

• - David
« Reply #31 on: 7 Oct 2014, 08:20 pm »
I will second this view.  I am using the trial version of JRiver 20 for now and it sounds glorious.  Vast improvement over the older version of Pure Music I am using now.  I can't see going back to PM at this point given that JRiver also works so much better (more features, fewer bugs, more stable).

Thanks for the tip, Scotty.

-dB

hmm, been following this thread but I am left wondering if it is due to an ASIO drive update or  WASAPI and what you guys are using...

There are a few things to get the most out of it, play files from memory only and do not use the players volume control, just set it to 100% and use the pre-amps control, etc etc....  I use JR19 and use my android tablet to control it, but haven't really seen a need to upgrade to JR20.  Decisions, decisions.

*Scotty*

« Reply #32 on: 7 Oct 2014, 09:29 pm »
Soothsayerman, download the jRiver 20 installer and save to desktop. Create a folder on the desktop named jRiver 20. Run the install exe., choose Custom install!!!  When prompted by the installer to choose a destination folder for the program use Browse and find the folder you created on the desktop and choose that as the destination folder. Next step will be to choose allowed file associations,allow no file associations whatsoever, this will not affect what files jRiver 20 can playback. It just stops jRiver 20 from being the default program for photos,videos,music files and anything else it can get its hands on.
 This procedure permits you to have two instances of jRiver on your computer at the same time and allows for quick A/B comparisons between the two before arriving at a decision to upgrade. However both programs can not be in operation at the same time unless in Tools,Options,General, Advanced, the box labeled Allow multiple instances to run at the same time is checked.
 When this box is checked you can quickly do A/B comparisons between the two versions of jRiver.
In most cases when multiple instances are not allowed jRiver wants exclusive access to the playback device which creates a conflict between the programs, usually resolved in favor of which ever program was opened first leaving the other program complaining about this in some fashion.
Scotty

Soothsayerman

• - David
« Reply #33 on: 7 Oct 2014, 10:18 pm »
Soothsayerman, download the jRiver 20 installer and save to desktop. Create a folder on the desktop named jRiver 20. Run the install exe., choose Custom install!!!  When prompted by the installer to choose a destination folder for the program use Browse and find the folder you created on the desktop and choose that as the destination folder. Next step will be to choose allowed file associations,allow no file associations whatsoever, this will not affect what files jRiver 20 can playback. It just stops jRiver 20 from being the default program for photos,videos,music files and anything else it can get its hands on.
 This procedure permits you to have two instances of jRiver on your computer at the same time and allows for quick A/B comparisons between the two before arriving at a decision to upgrade. However both programs can not be in operation at the same time unless in Tools,Options,General, Advanced, the box labeled Allow multiple instances to run at the same time is checked.
 When this box is checked you can quickly do A/B comparisons between the two versions of jRiver or any other player program.
In most cases when multiple instances are not allowed jRiver wants exclusive access to the playback device which creates a conflict between the programs, usually resolved in favor of which ever program was opened first leaving the other program complaining about this in some fashion.
Scotty

Hey thanks man, I will give this a go!   :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #34 on: 7 Oct 2014, 10:28 pm »
Great thread!

I'm glad to hear that JRiver20 sound quality is on par with other "audiophile" players.

I have an old Pentium4/1GB/XP sitting idle. Is that enough power for JRiver 20?

Is it enough to run a 2 way active crossover in the PEQ module? Just min-phase IIR filters, not convolution.

Thanks!
Rich

Soothsayerman

• - David
« Reply #35 on: 7 Oct 2014, 11:11 pm »
Hey thanks man, I will give this a go!   :thumb:

Well Hells Bells :o

I did the comparo and JR 20 does indeed sound better. There seems, somehow, to be more headroom both dynamic headroom and just more space and 3 dimensionality around the notes.   The tonality is the same, but things just sound a bit more 3D and spacious.  Cool beans!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Nick77

« Reply #36 on: 7 Oct 2014, 11:21 pm »
Still on the fence here, no issues with 19 so why fix sometin that aint broken......

Gonna keep an eye on this thread though.  :wink:

*Scotty*

« Reply #37 on: 7 Oct 2014, 11:39 pm »
Nick, the plain truth is that Jriver19 is kind of "broken" in comparison to jRiver 20. You can always try it for free and hear for yourself what's going on sonically.
Scotty

Nick77

« Reply #38 on: 7 Oct 2014, 11:58 pm »
If I already own 19, I can try 20 for 30 days?

*Scotty*

« Reply #39 on: 8 Oct 2014, 12:15 am »
Yah sure you betcha.
Follow my previously posted instructions for running two copies of jRiver on your computer.
Scotty