5.1 Setup - Best VMPS Match

sbcgroup1

« on: 25 May 2004, 05:44 pm »
Okay, per Brian and a few users, I got convinced to go with the RM30-C w/FST as the center channel ($1800 MSRP) instead of the LRC. I was originally planning on going with the LRC's w/FST's in the rear sides to match the center channel, but now since we've decided to upgrade it, could we get away with the more inexpensive 626 Neos w/FST's in the rear sides instead? This move could save us $500, but I don't want to sacrifice anything either.

What does everyone think?

-Ed

Marbles

« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2004, 05:54 pm »
My setup is:

RM40's - FL/FR
RM30 - C
626 - SL, SR, BL, BR

All have FST's

40's and 30 have TRT's
Surrounds have Auris'
Backs are standard caps

The 626's (fst's) for rear surrounds and back surrounds match up great with the 40's and 30.  Highly recomended if you need them in the verticle (natural) position.  You might want the LRC's if you need the speakers to be horizontal.

My rear surrounds have to be mounted in a horizontal position (ceiling mounted) and even then the 626's sound great to me.

John Casler

Re: 5.1 Setup - Best VMPS Match
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2004, 06:14 pm »
Quote from: sbcgroup1
Okay, per Brian and a few users, I got convinced to go with the RM30-C w/FST as the center channel ($1800 MSRP) instead of the LRC. I was originally planning on going with the LRC's w/FST's in the rear sides to match the center channel, but now since we've decided to upgrade it, could we get away with the more inexpensive 626 Neos w/FST's in the rear sides instead? This move could save us $500, but I don't want to sacrifice anything either.

What does everyone think?

-Ed

Hi Ed,

Regarding using the LRC's as surrounds.  I think it offers you more performance and mounting flexibility at a "modest" price difference.

First, the LRC is front ported.  This allows you to mount it closer to the walls.

Second, it plays lower, which is a big advantage in todays DD, DTS, and MCM formats

Third, it is mountable in a horizontal position which makes it easier to "aim" at the listening area

Fourth, it disperses sound over two woofers, which gives you a wider soundfield.

Fifth, it will play much louder than the 626R, whci means it will match the RM40's better

and Sixth, it isn't that much more.  A pair of LRCs with FST will retail for $2300.  A pair of 626Rs with FSTs are $1998.  That's about $400 difference for what would make a (IMO) better system

(through your dealer maybe less)

And the LRC might be easier to mount, in that it can simply be mounted on a sturdy shelf, and angled by propping up the rear, rather than a highly cantilevered (and usually expensive) speaker mounting bracket.

If you were able to "stand mount" your Surround speakers then the balance changes and the 626R becomes attractive again.

Just my 5 cents :mrgreen:

In any event, your system should be absolutley devastating with the right electronics.

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2004, 06:22 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
Hi Ed,

In any event, your system should be absolutley devastating with the right electronics.

We can agree on THAT!!!

Ed, I don't see any thing that would help your ROOM sound better.

You might want to look at the inexpensive Room pack from 8th Nerve. Less than $300 and VERY well worth it!

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2004, 06:25 pm »
Okay.:) Thanks!

-Ed :mrgreen:

sbcgroup1

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2004, 06:35 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
If you were able to "stand mount" your Surround speakers then the balance changes and the 626R becomes attractive again.

How? Attractive enough to choose over the LRC, save a few bucks and add a cheap pair of 404 rears? :)

I know I'm getting annoying...sorry....

-Ed

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2004, 06:40 pm »
Ed,

Don't get the 404 rears....just go 5.1 until your bank account recovers and if you NEED another pair of speakers, get them to match the others...

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2004, 07:02 pm »
Quote from: Marbles

Don't get the 404 rears....just go 5.1 until your bank account recovers and if you NEED another pair of speakers, get them to match the others...

Got it. I'm done.:)

If I have trouble visualizing how to copy your rear speaker mounts, I'll come hollering...:)

-Ed

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2004, 07:19 pm »
Rob/MArbles:

Give me a website to find out more about those Room Packs from 8th Nerve...couldn't find any info on them.

Also, I tried to get into your home picture directory off that jpeg link that you emailed me showcasing your room, but had trouble. Got any more pics?

Thanks,

Ed

pjchappy

Marbles

« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2004, 07:23 pm »

sbcgroup1

Re:
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2004, 07:25 pm »
Marbles-

Got your picture in the email...I guess what I was trying to say is that I want to know where to find your pic directory so I can see more of them:)

-Ed

Marbles

« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2004, 07:27 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;user=4

On the second page if you click on some pictures with the word "Album" under them, they are nested albums.

You really won't see much that you might be interested in though.

Oh, and that "Chuck" picture is famous here, but it is not from my room...

In the picture I posted above, those are 8th Nerve products at the corners and at the ceiling/wall intersections

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2004, 08:12 pm »
I went on to the 8th nerve site....what is exactly included (how many pieces of what) in their room pack?

Does it really help that much? My living room (where everything is going) opens up to my kitchen and the other side into my entry way where there are high vaulted ceilings all over the place. Standard room ceilings are all 9'.

-Ed

Marbles

« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2004, 08:18 pm »
Yes it really helps.

If you can email pictures to the fine folks at 8th Nerve (they have a forum here as well) they will tell you exactly what you will need.

There is also an "Acoustic Circle" here.  You should do some research on that circle for other ideas.

sbcgroup1

TRT & Auricap upgrades
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2004, 09:15 pm »
What are the TRT and Auricap upgrades?

-Ed

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2004, 10:07 pm »
They are crossover capacitor upgrades to the VMPS speakers.

You should ask your VMPS rep about them.

You should also do a search on "TRT" here.

cinema&sound

• http://www.cinema-and-sound.com
My preference would be a bit different than Marbles system
« Reply #17 on: 29 May 2004, 01:58 am »
left/right - RM40
center - RM30C
side surrounds - ribbon dipoles
rear surrounds - 626R

Side dipoles are more like the sound stage of commercial movie theaters and 99% of all DVDs are mixed for this type of sound presentation. In fact if you have no intention to listen to SACD or DVD-A I would suggest 4 ribbon dipoles.

However, the 2 626R in the rear will give better performance with SACD and DVD-A

Just my 2 cents
We do build home theater rooms professionally however.
-Scott

sbcgroup1

Re: My preference would be a bit different than Marbles syst
« Reply #18 on: 1 Jun 2004, 08:46 pm »
Quote from: cinema&sound
left/right - RM40
center - RM30C
side surrounds - ribbon dipoles
rear surrounds - 626R

Side dipoles are more like the sound stage of commercial movie theaters and 99% of all DVDs are mixed for this type of sound presentation. In fact if you have no intention to listen to SACD or DVD-A I would suggest 4 ribbon dipoles.

However, the 2 626R in the rear will give better performance with SACD and DVD-A

Just my 2 cents
We do build home theater rooms professionally however.
-Scott

Does anyone else agree with this? Everyone I have spoken to seems to advise to go with direct radiating speakers on the sides and to not even bother with back rears.

I was originally stuck on dipoles and the whole 7.1 thing...but everyone talked me out of it!:)

-Ed

sbcgroup1

re:
« Reply #19 on: 1 Jun 2004, 08:51 pm »
Oh, yeah, by the way...commercial theatres don't ever use dipoles anyways. They just have multiple sets of direct radiators on the sides to cover the large size of the audience.

Also, I have never been to a commercial theatre that could come close to reproducing what I have heard at home. And their film projectors are usually sub-par too.

-Ed