Stratos Mono with Magnepan 1.7i ...

miatadan

• Industry Participant
Stratos Mono with Magnepan 1.7i ...
« on: 3 Jun 2017, 05:27 pm »
Would the Odyssey Audio Mono amplifiers work well with Magnepan 1.7i speakers. Room size 11ft wide, 20ft length.  Speakers  are 5 1/2 ft from back wall with me sitting 5 ft in front of speakers. Sound quality differences between Strato's and Khartago ? Is there clipping lights like Bryston audio?

Thanks Dan

saygrr

Re: Stratos Mono with Magnepan 1.7i ...
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2017, 05:41 pm »
I can tell you I'm sure they will work out great. I bought a stereo Stratos from a guy that was using it on a pair of MG 3s and he liked it. He just wanted to get a totally different system.  I put the Stratos in a system with Eminent Technolgy speakers in a room 20 feet wide 30 feet long and the amp was effortless. Mono blocked Stratos should work great on the 1.7s.  Components upstream will need to be as good.

A_shah

« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2017, 07:22 pm »
Would the Odyssey Audio Mono amplifiers work well with Magnepan 1.7i speakers. Room size 11ft wide, 20ft length.  Speakers  are 5 1/2 ft from back wall with me sitting 5 ft in front of speakers. Sound quality differences between Strato's and Khartago ? Is there clipping lights like Bryston audio?

Thanks Dan
Give Klaus a call, he is pretty knowledgeable about Maggi 1.7i matching with Odyssey amplifiers, I am having mine built  right now,  a high current  Kismet in a Stratos case , I opted for a stereo instead of two mono's for now but in case in the future I decide to go mono the unit could be upgraded to a mono and a 2nd unit built.  have no idea about sound quality between Stratos & Khartogo , because I have not heard any of Odyssey amplifiers .
My 1.7i sit about 3.feet away from the front wall on engineered wood floor , untreated room with enough furniture and carpeting to make it not so bright. presently using a a Oppo 203 UHD for transport, the amplification is Parasound Halo integrated ( which even at full volume does not clip ?)  being a high current design . the Halo will be used as a pre-amp for now with the new Kismet in Stratos case .

Hadro

« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2017, 10:53 pm »
They are superb with 1.7 so I assume they must be even better with 1.7i

lovelexicon

« Reply #4 on: 4 Jun 2017, 03:08 pm »
I have the Stratos Mono Extreme (the original version from 2003) and the Magnepan 1.7i.  They work "extremely" well together.

Jazznball

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jun 2017, 06:40 am »
I have used an Odyssey amp with my 1.7's for the last 2 years.  I started with a Stratos stereo for the first year.  I like to play a wide variety of music, mixing in everything from rock, to jazz, to R&B, rap, classical, String quartets, and the blues.  I usually like to play my music a little "louder" than some purist might like.  My room is about 12 by 16 with no back wall.  I have my speakers about 5 ft out from the rear wall and about 2 ft from the side walls toed in to the listening position.  I am using a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium preamp that introduces tubes to the system.  I absolutely love the sound.  In fact I loved it so much that l upgraded to Kismet monos after my first year.  The Stratos never lacked for power and l could easily overwhelm my room with sound with the volume at less than half the max.  I never pushed it more than about 70%, and only then for the rare track that was recorded extremely low and that I just wanted to "blast".  Don't worry about clipping or not having enough power.  My Stratos stereo had plenty in reserve.  They made the 1.7's sound magical.  Vocals sound natural, like the singer is in the room with you and you can hear the things that make a singer special when you see them live.  Strings and horns are crisp.  You can go from a dead quiet back ground to full sound and back to silence.  i upgraded just because I wanted more.  The Kismets give me fuller sound, especially in the lower range.  They are also more dynamic in that the little things pop a little more.  Things like a high note or a slam have more thrust and immediacy, and the notes come quicker and then disappear just as quick to a black back ground. You can hear the decay when you are supposed to. 

I spent this weekend at the LA Audio Show and each night I came back and compared my system to what I heard that day. I even played the same tracks and I tried to sit as close as I could to the same listening position.  I was not disappointed.  Odyssey and Maggies work great together and produce a great musical experience.  There is never any fatigue. Tonight I had to end my session so that my wife could go to bed.  Your only complaint may lie in the Maggies and not the Odyssey.  You may want to add a sub if you want more bass.  I have one and switch it on and off depending on the music.  I hope this helps.

A_shah

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2017, 11:30 am »
I have used an Odyssey amp with my 1.7's for the last 2 years.  I started with a Stratos stereo for the first year.  I like to play a wide variety of music, mixing in everything from rock, to jazz, to R&B, rap, classical, String quartets, and the blues.  I usually like to play my music a little "louder" than some purist might like.  My room is about 12 by 16 with no back wall.  I have my speakers about 5 ft out from the rear wall and about 2 ft from the side walls toed in to the listening position.  I am using a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium preamp that introduces tubes to the system.  I absolutely love the sound.  In fact I loved it so much that l upgraded to Kismet monos after my first year.  The Stratos never lacked for power and l could easily overwhelm my room with sound with the volume at less than half the max.  I never pushed it more than about 70%, and only then for the rare track that was recorded extremely low and that I just wanted to "blast".  Don't worry about clipping or not having enough power.  My Stratos stereo had plenty in reserve.  They made the 1.7's sound magical.  Vocals sound natural, like the singer is in the room with you and you can hear the things that make a singer special when you see them live.  Strings and horns are crisp.  You can go from a dead quiet back ground to full sound and back to silence.  i upgraded just because I wanted more.  The Kismets give me fuller sound, especially in the lower range.  They are also more dynamic in that the little things pop a little more.  Things like a high note or a slam have more thrust and immediacy, and the notes come quicker and then disappear just as quick to a black back ground. You can hear the decay when you are supposed to. 

I spent this weekend at the LA Audio Show and each night I came back and compared my system to what I heard that day. I even played the same tracks and I tried to sit as close as I could to the same listening position.  I was not disappointed.  Odyssey and Maggies work great together and produce a great musical experience.  There is never any fatigue. Tonight I had to end my session so that my wife could go to bed.  Your only complaint may lie in the Maggies and not the Odyssey.  You may want to add a sub if you want more bass.  I have one and switch it on and off depending on the music.  I hope this helps.
Do you know how many watts power you get with the Kismet mono's ?

Jazznball

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2017, 02:48 pm »
The Odyssey website says 200 watts per channel, and I think that is the same thing that Klaus told me.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jun 2017, 06:22 pm »
  A classic combo actually. Stratos and Maggie. May I suggest a tubed preamp with the Stratos and Maggie. Not that a SS from Klaus is not good it is the Maggies tweeter that likes a little tube sound IMHO.
  Was a Maggie Man now Analysis Omega man.

charles

bunky

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2017, 12:36 am »
Klaus can build the Kismet circuit in both the Khartago and Stratos cases. I have a fully loaded pair of Kismet in Khartago monoblocks. these amplifiers are smooth, fast, powerful and effortless. I tried my best but I was unable to make these amps clip or distort.

A_shah

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2017, 04:13 am »
Klaus can build the Kismet circuit in both the Khartago and Stratos cases. I have a fully loaded pair of Kismet in Khartago monoblocks. these amplifiers are smooth, fast, powerful and effortless. I tried my best but I was unable to make these amps clip or distort.
I just got my"full "Kismet in Stratos Case /Stereo , with 850 Volt transformer and SL Reference 35K, plus WBT top line connectors ,ref.Quattro cabling  right out of the box it does sound good even though it still has to be broken in , However I don't think as a stereo amp it gives me more than  150/160 watts at 8 amps and maybe 300/320 watts at 4 ohms for my maggies but I know it has very high current which is what the maggies like !

JackD

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2017, 05:41 am »
The 1.7i's won't make the Kismet even break a sweat so don't worry about the specs and just enjoy. 

A_shah

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2017, 06:55 am »
The 1.7i's won't make the Kismet even break a sweat so don't worry about the specs and just enjoy.
thanks !