What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?

jimdgoulding

Re: What jazz ALBUM are you currently listening to?
« Reply #3481 on: 20 Feb 2013, 02:37 am »
I have that.  It was previously released on the A&M Horizon label with a different title a nicer album package to be sure.  Charlie Haden is on it, Billy Higgins, too.  A cat named Frank Lowe on tenor, and others.  I dig it when I can listen loud.

Here is a CD that was recommended to me by Jazz1 on Audio Asylum.  The cat lives in Johannesberg and is a fiend for female jazz singers and this is somethin else.  Damn near perfect in every regard:  Gail Pettis (a Seattle based lady and she will get you outta the rain)- May I Come In? (OA2 Records).  Recommend that you let her, yes indeed.  No need to listen loud cause she is intimately close miked.  Just wonderful jazz ballad and easy swing listening.

jhm731

« Reply #3482 on: 20 Feb 2013, 06:39 pm »

EarPal

« Reply #3483 on: 21 Feb 2013, 12:21 am »

Catalyst - Complete Recording Vol. 1

EarPal

« Reply #3485 on: 21 Feb 2013, 02:06 am »

EarPal

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3487 on: 21 Feb 2013, 04:07 am »
Picked this up at the local record store.... can't pass any clean Blue Notes for $5.  I'd never heard of  Cecil Taylor. Hmmmm, it's a long way from the typical Sidney Bechet stuff I usually buy.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3488 on: 21 Feb 2013, 05:27 pm »

The Stark Reality - Acting Thinking Feeling

Just bought this.  John Abercrombie is on guitar. 

http://www.amazon.com/Acting-Thinking-Feeling-Stark-Reality/dp/B00APSTM56/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1360532967&sr=1-1&keywords=stark+reality

Thanks for the tip EarPal. Just got this in, pre-dates my earliest Abecrombie listenings. Am liking so far, definitely outa sight man.  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3489 on: 22 Feb 2013, 01:36 am »
Picked this up at the local record store.... can't pass any clean Blue Notes for $5.  I'd never heard of  Cecil Taylor. Hmmmm, it's a long way from the typical Sidney Bechet stuff I usually buy.

Yep, a modernistic and highly individual player and he was playing this way in the early 60's. 

EarPal

« Reply #3490 on: 22 Feb 2013, 02:08 am »

The Cookers - Believe

http://www.amazon.com/Believe/dp/B0084O2QRE/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1361498048&sr=1-1

ArthurDent,
Yeah.  I've really enjoyed playing The Stark Reality lately.  The booklet in the CD package is a bonus providing an interesting history of the band. 

ArthurDent

« Reply #3491 on: 23 Feb 2013, 01:19 am »

Donald Byrd Band & Voices:    a New Perspective     (1963)  Re-issue, Re-master

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3492 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:23 am »

Here ya go, Clark.  Some youngsters who played together in high school in Houston before heading to LA and recording live several times.  I think you'll see why.  Listen when you can turn it up!  Good in-the-club sound.  Beautiful ballads like "You Don't Know What Love Is" and some serious heat, too.  Quite a number of tunes on this and they're all played very nicely, indeed.  I have it on CD and it should be readily available.  Cheers

S Clark

« Reply #3493 on: 23 Feb 2013, 04:45 am »

Here ya go, Clark.  Some youngsters who played together in high school in Houston before heading to LA and recording live several times.  I think you'll see why.  Listen when you can turn it up!  Good in-the-club sound.  Beautiful ballads like "You Don't Know What Love Is" and some serious heat, too.  Quite a number of tunes on this and they're all played very nicely, indeed.  I have it on CD and it should be readily available.  Cheers
Thanks for the tip. I checked Amazon- the cd is higher than the original pressing on Fleabay! I've put in a bid... we'll see if I get it.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3494 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:34 am »
You will like it!  I'd bet money.  Lots a love.  Got another fu ya.  Shirley Horne's You Won't Forget Me on Verve.  That's no spur of the moment post.  That album is something else in the extreme to include fine sound.  Available on CD bout everywhere.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3495 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:51 am »
i did mention the wonderful sound, right?  So intimate, I'll mention it again.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3496 on: 23 Feb 2013, 07:19 am »
Now, this recording is a whole nuther conversation . . Iron Path by Last Exit  (Virgin),  This is balls to the wall avant garde jazz music from the 80's.  Bill Laswell, Sonny Sharrock, Roland Shannon Jackson, and West Germany's tenor player, Peter Brotzman.  If this weren't so lamely recorded, the world may have spun off its axis.  Compressed to within 2db is my guess, but this mother has enough energy to change time.  I'm glad I have it cause I like it, powerful and intense stuff, but I so regret that I didn't have the ear of the producer.  Adventurous?  Get it, but turn it up past sanity and you'll know what I'm sayin.

ArthurDent

« Reply #3497 on: 23 Feb 2013, 04:01 pm »

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones: Rocket Science

jimdgoulding

« Reply #3498 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:36 pm »
Just wanted to add some clarity to my Last Exit post above.  These are all tight compositions, not guys going off in different directions, with the force of a tidal wave.  I looked at the prices on Amazon.  Well, its expensive used.  New?  Fuggetaboutit.  Whew.

S Clark

« Reply #3499 on: 24 Feb 2013, 08:41 pm »
Two realllllly good finds at the local record store:
Oscar Peterson Plays Pretty on a perfect 10" lp by Clef records released 1954. The side man is Ray Brown.

And Wilbur de Paris "Marchin and Swingin" NM 1952. With cornetist Sidney DeParis, clarinetist Omer Simeon, pianist Don Kirkpatrick, banjoist Eddie Gibbs, bassist Harold Jackson and drummer Freddie Moore.  These guys played with the giants... Don Kirkpatrick helped Chick Webb start his band.. others played in the 20's and 30's with Jelly Roll, Eubie Blake, Kid Ory, The Hawk, etc.

I think I'm the only one in this town buying older jazz  :D