Need help analyzing REW measurement

TypicalLee

Need help analyzing REW measurement
« on: 17 Nov 2023, 07:12 pm »
I have an untreated room and would greatly appreciate any help analyzing the REW measurements I took in order to understand what I am dealing with and what I need to address.

REW was run on a Win10 laptop connected via hdmi to an Anthem AVR. I used a UMIK-1 mic and loaded the 90deg calibration file.
I took measurements for each speaker individually, including just the sub, and also L+R.
I followed the guidance as best I could from multiple YouTube videos.

The file is shared https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApEw9S8B9NoPkKtJaA8gm1pKfO7Cfg?e=XhV2tw.

jakepunk

Re: Need help analyzing REW measurement
« Reply #1 on: 29 Nov 2023, 12:06 pm »
I am not an expert by any means, but you definitely need bass trapping.  Your psychoacoustic graphs have a big bump at 30 Hz, and your spectrogram peaks at 900ms delay below that point.  A typical untreated room will need bass traps plus mid-range absorption at reflection points.  I would progress in that order, start small, and don't over-think it.  Jesco Lohan's Acoustics Insider YouTube channel has some great content, including a PDF bass trap guide.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Nov 2023, 12:14 pm »
I would bê glad I had a bass bump in my room.

TypicalLee

« Reply #3 on: 29 Nov 2023, 12:36 pm »
I am not an expert by any means, but you definitely need bass trapping.  Your psychoacoustic graphs have a big bump at 30 Hz, and your spectrogram peaks at 900ms delay below that point.  A typical untreated room will need bass traps plus mid-range absorption at reflection points.  I would progress in that order, start small, and don't over-think it.  Jesco Lohan's Acoustics Insider YouTube channel has some great content, including a PDF bass trap guide.

Thanks a ton!
I placed an order with GIK Acoustics, but for now only went with 4" panels, so I'm guessing it will tame the midrange and high frequencies but not so much the lows...
Thank you for the recommendation for Jesco Lohan's Acoustics Insider YouTube channel - I will look into it
Do you think moving the sub and/or room correction would help with the bass frequencies?

AllanS

« Reply #4 on: 29 Nov 2023, 12:37 pm »
I’m deep in this rabbit hole right now.  There are a lot of good acoustic treatment resources I’d recommend reviewing before going too far with treatments. I have to get to work but will try back later to add links  Understand what you’re trying to correct, your goals, what you’re willing to invest, and what to expect from various corrections.
Treating peaks below 100 hz or so takes A LOT of trapping. My space is moderately treated to some good effect but I ended up going with miniDSP / Dirac to correct bass peaks and am quite happy.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2023, 01:55 pm »
GIK sells good stuff (most "treatments" are crap IMO).  Always start with a well proportioned, insulated, and dedicated room (most don't).  Then find loudspeakers that match the room.  Next read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" (either edition) to learn the basics. 

I have six GIK 2ft x 4ft 244 "full range" panels that I've placed at first reflection points on front, side, and rear walls along with four GIK 2ft x 4ft 244 "bass traps" panels straddling the front corners in my 8ft x 13ft x 21ft (Golden Rectangle) well insulated room.  Currently have Buchardt A500SE's set up 4ft from the from front wall and 1.5ft from side walls with my chair in the middle of the room.  Also have three tall bookcases on side walls acting as "casual" diffusers that I can adjust.  Overall a good room for a very modest investment.

jtcf

« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2023, 03:22 pm »
It's not practical for most people to literally 'trap' the very long bass waves.Damping the half wave is a doable strategy though. Adding DSP is a good idea along with at least one more sub.More subs strategically placed will break up room modes and standing waves.I have GIK panels and three subs,of which one sub (SVS) has an equalizer that I can adjust from my listening chair with the app.If I hadn't bought the other two first I would have all SVS. So easy to dial out the bumps.

TypicalLee

« Reply #7 on: 3 Dec 2023, 04:31 am »
I’m deep in this rabbit hole right now.  There are a lot of good acoustic treatment resources I’d recommend reviewing before going too far with treatments. I have to get to work but will try back later to add links  Understand what you’re trying to correct, your goals, what you’re willing to invest, and what to expect from various corrections.
Treating peaks below 100 hz or so takes A LOT of trapping. My space is moderately treated to some good effect but I ended up going with miniDSP / Dirac to correct bass peaks and am quite happy.

Thank you, that is good advice!