ideal speaker placement(in general)

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:10 pm »
my room is 12 x 15 x 8. the speakers are on the short wall and are rear ported. what would be general distances from the rear wall and side walls?

measuring from front of baffle and side of speakers.

thanks
marvin

R_burke

« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:21 pm »
In general without knowing specifics of speakers an equilateral triangle between speakers and listening position

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #2 on: 22 Sep 2004, 10:46 am »
There are several methods of placement.  The Cardas method and the Audio Physics method are widely known.

http://www.audiolinks.nl/speakersetup.htm
http://www.immediasound.com/Speakersetup.html

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2004, 12:47 pm »
While I think the Cardas method is interesting, there's no way I could do this in my particular room.  With a width of about 16 feet (interesting, my room is near the "Golden Room" characteristics) for my room, my speakers would have to be about 7 feet from the wall.  That's a huge distance (and would put one of the speakers basically in front of the door into the room).  I may give this a try just to see what it sounds like, but I think I'll have to keep my speakers closer to the back (behind the speakers) wall.

flintstone

speaker setup
« Reply #4 on: 8 Oct 2004, 06:36 pm »
It was interesting that when I ran across the Cardas measurement for planer speakers a long while after I had set my speakers by ear...turned out to be within 2 inches of their placement by ear.

Could have saved a lot of work it turns out! Of course none of these setup methods work in every room and with every system.

Dave

clm811

• Just listen.
Re: ideal speaker placement(in general)
« Reply #5 on: 11 Feb 2024, 01:44 pm »
Hi
It depends alot on the type of loudspeaker, of course.
For typical box speakers I like to start by  placing the speakers 2-3 feet from the front wall, about 1/3 of the room with from the sidewalls and make an equilateral triangle with the listening position. If you don't have a mike & DSP, you can use one of several setup/test recordings to make adjustments by ear.
This is only a starting point, but I've used it for many years to good effect.
Ciao
Chuck

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 11 Feb 2024, 01:51 pm »
I will move this old topic to the Acoustics Circle where it belongs.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2024, 05:03 pm by FullRangeMan »

VinceT

« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2024, 04:11 pm »
A lot of factors such as speaker size and type, also what else is also in the room. Room that size would probably benefit from nearfield listening, speakers at least 2.5 to 3 foot from back and side walls,.listening position away from wall behind listener. Get a pocket of sound without reflections from walls. Cover hard floors with a carpet.

max190

• Home of the St. Louis Cardinals!
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2024, 06:59 pm »
my room is 12 x 15 x 8. the speakers are on the short wall and are rear ported. what would be general distances from the rear wall and side walls?

measuring from front of baffle and side of speakers.

thanks
marvin

My room dims are are exactly like yours.  Speakers are rear ported and my room is treated.
My LP is 3ft from rear wall which is 1/5 of room length.
Front center of speakers are 36" from sidewall, and 44" from front center to front wall.
Speakers are toed in pointing at my shoulders.
Dual REL's flank outside speakers.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2024, 01:17 pm »
Wow, this is a dusty old thread.  Here's a sticky on all the placement methods I'm aware of.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=87093.0
I use my own method of mapping out the 2D nulls and nodes and place the speakers in between any re-enforcment or suckout.  You can get very close to this without math or an online calculator by mapping out the even order and odd order dimensions with odd order intersections being the nulls and even order intersections being the modes.  Not as perfect as doing the math, but close enough for government work.

trianglezerius