CNC mono chassis $71.50ea + shipping Utah

santacore

Re: CNC mono chassis $71.50ea + shipping Utah
« Reply #120 on: 16 Jun 2012, 07:56 pm »
Did anyone get a confirmation after they placed their order? I put mine in a few weeks ago, and never got a single reply. I can only hope that my order was received. :scratch:

mr_bill

« Reply #121 on: 16 Jun 2012, 08:03 pm »
I'm the same - money transferred but no confirmation - hopefully everything is ok.

Airborn

« Reply #122 on: 16 Jun 2012, 08:08 pm »
I didn't get confirmation either so after Paypal went thru I emailed Mike at Silicon Ray and he acknowledged receipt of the order.  :thumb:

Occam

« Reply #123 on: 16 Jun 2012, 08:19 pm »
The only two known XLR that fit the cutout I specified are $25 Cardas and Neutrik NC3FDL-1....the latter is low cost with nickel contacts.

You'd do well to check out the Neutrik site itself -
http://www.neutrik.us/en-us/xlr/xlr-chassis-connectors/
The cutouts for the D series, D, DL, DX are all the same, and all are available with contacts plated in either gold or silver, save for the DLX-crimp in silver only, and DLX-HE in gold plate only.

The NC3FD-L-1 has silver plated contacts.
The NC3FD-L-B-1 has gold plated contacts.

FWIW

EDIT:The Neutrik D chassis XLRs share the same cutout dimensions as the Cardas chassis mount XLRs. at the hypotenuse's endpoints of a 24mm x 19mm right triangle. The Neutrik 'P' chassis mounts have different mounting dimensions.
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2012, 03:34 am by Occam »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #124 on: 17 Jun 2012, 01:27 am »
The only known XLR fit (may be others, I'm not Spock  :lol:) is:
Neutrik NC3FP-1, gold or silver contacts

If you find more than one IEC chassis receptacle at Parts Express, holler!

See the OP for proper fitting (10mm hole) binding post.  If larger hole needed you could open it.  For smaller hole use some type of spacer, washer, or...

Mike emailed me early last week that he was about to cut the chassis.  Sounds like a slew of custom cutting jobs arrived right when ours did.  I too had to ask for confirmation he received funds.  I'll ask him if we should look for shipping confirmation or tracking.  Sorry I never checked shipping method. 

mr_bill

« Reply #125 on: 17 Jun 2012, 03:54 am »
Ok Jimbo,

So you did get mike to cut for the nc3fp1.
That is a change from the original neutrik.

I believe there is a furutech iec that fits too - Trung found it.

mr_bill

« Reply #126 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:01 am »
Furutech ac inlet in gold or rhodium is the one.

TrungT

« Reply #127 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:27 am »
I like Rhodium. :thumb:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #128 on: 17 Jun 2012, 05:13 am »
Someone please, if time allows, research the following:

Contact material composition, IEC receptacle/IEC plug:

Rhodium over silver/nickel
vs.
Nickel/nickel

I love the rhodium over silver, but is it at least possible the latter is generally considered better?  Am I the only one suspecting that contrary metal contact composition has its own drawbacks, regardless whether one receptacle is "better" overall than another?     

Or...what is cost for rhodium over silver IEC plug?

« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2012, 05:34 pm by James Romeyn »

mjock3

« Reply #129 on: 17 Jun 2012, 02:16 pm »
I originally setup the Ncore with the cheap IEC that came with the enclosures. It sounded terrible. Not sure if it was because a fuse was built in or what but it was bad. I then remebered I had an Acme cryo treated laying around and hooked it up and it was much better. These both were hooked up with crimp connections.

I then contacted someone in that is highly regarded in the parts business about Furutech IEC's. Here is part of his reply "Furutech FI-09, and use it in my own gear. The gold is a touch warmer than the rhodium, but the rhodium is very, very neutral-sounding, to my ears."

Mark

mr_bill

« Reply #130 on: 17 Jun 2012, 04:33 pm »
Will the Cardas xlrs still work, that was mentioned earlier that Trung ID'd or are they out now?

The only known XLR fit (may be others, I'm not Spock  :lol:) is:
Neutrik NC3FP-1, gold or silver contacts

If you find more than one IEC chassis receptacle at Parts Express, holler!

See the OP for proper fitting (10mm hole) binding post.  If larger hole needed you could open it.  For smaller hole use some type of spacer, washer, or...

Mike emailed me early last week that he was about to cut the chassis.  Sounds like a slew of custom cutting jobs arrived right when ours did.  I too had to ask for confirmation he received funds.  I'll ask him if we should look for shipping confirmation or tracking.  Sorry I never checked shipping method.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #131 on: 17 Jun 2012, 05:33 pm »
Will the Cardas xlrs still work, that was mentioned earlier that Trung ID'd or are they out now?

If you refer to the particular Cardas which I think you refer to, negative.  Examine the two drawings to confirm.  Might be nice to post a link to both drawings so readers can confirm. 

I'm a stickler for matched metal contacts, which IIRC George Merrill told me long ago they tested and found mis-matched contacts to be highly undesirable.  I'm always open to changing my mind.  But this guy's been doing this for about 50 years.  So I'm highly suggesting readers consider matched metal contact composition rather than simple: "This is better build/composition so that trumps matching contact materials."

Let's put it this way.  You have a stock like-new OEM Volkswagen Beetle first generation sold in the USA, whenever that was, including new stock OEM tires.  You do a slalom course at maximum speed of, say, 49.0mph.  You make minimum modification for the exact same car to accept modern F1 road race slicks.  Rather than attain a higher speed through the same slalom course, at the first cone the slicks grip the pavement like two interlocked gears, transferring about 1000x more energy into the suspension that it was designed for, causing said suspension to rip apart and disintegrate as if hit by an Iraq IED, the car flips and engulfs in immediate flame, something such vintage Beetle did in normal use with more frequency than the average vehicle of similar vintage.

Which tire/wheel assembly above is "better" on an absolute scale?  Which tire/wheel assembly above was "better" in that example?

mr_bill

« Reply #132 on: 17 Jun 2012, 06:05 pm »
If you did change the drawing as you were planning to:

"The only two known XLR that fit the cutout I specified are $25 Cardas and Neutrik NC3FDL-1....the latter is low cost with nickel contacts. 

Don't purchase any XLR till I post a follow up, hopefully later tonight.   

Mike emailed Friday he would start cutting.  I will email "Urgent" subject right now to change (if possible) the cutout for Neutrik NC3FP-1 (gold or silver contact). 

I'll post outcome ASAP."

then I would need to go with the newer Neutrik that you cited -
NC3FP1 - 3 PIN Female chassis mount jacks, silver-plated contacts
http://www.partsconnexion.com/connectors_xlr_neutrik.html

The cardas xlr would fit the original drawing. Cardas 74525 CM F XLR, Chassis/PCB Mount, XLR Jack, Female,
http://www.partsconnexion.com/connectors_xlr_cardas.html

I have the parts loaded in my cart ready to pull the trigger - looks like I'm going with the newer Neutrik! (thanks Trung!)

Now, the last thing I want to do is destory a VW or start an international war with the Iraqis because I chose the wrong connector!  :lol:

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #133 on: 17 Jun 2012, 08:58 pm »
If you did change the drawing as you were planning to:

"The only two known XLR that fit the cutout I specified are $25 Cardas and Neutrik NC3FDL-1....the latter is low cost with nickel contacts. 

Don't purchase any XLR till I post a follow up, hopefully later tonight.   

Mike emailed Friday he would start cutting.  I will email "Urgent" subject right now to change (if possible) the cutout for Neutrik NC3FP-1 (gold or silver contact). 

I'll post outcome ASAP."

1. Cancel Neutrik NC3FDL-1 in favor of NC3FP-1.

then I would need to go with the newer Neutrik that you cited -
NC3FP1 - 3 PIN Female chassis mount jacks, silver-plated contacts
http://www.partsconnexion.com/connectors_xlr_neutrik.html

The cardas xlr would fit the original drawing. Cardas 74525 CM F XLR, Chassis/PCB Mount, XLR Jack, Female,
http://www.partsconnexion.com/connectors_xlr_cardas.html

I have the parts loaded in my cart ready to pull the trigger - looks like I'm going with the newer Neutrik! (thanks Trung!)

Now, the last thing I want to do is destory a VW or start an international war with the Iraqis because I chose the wrong connector!  :lol:

Destroy a vintage VW: about $150
Start a war by presidential decree contrary to Congressional declaration clearly described in the Constitution, said war justified by lies: about $2T and counting + 100k+ innocent deaths.
Mr. bill's humor: priceless  :lol:
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2012, 02:42 am by James Romeyn »

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #134 on: 18 Jun 2012, 02:41 am »
Good Monday morning Honk Kong!

Asked Mike for update today and this arrived 00:31 hours Zulu:

I hope they can be shipped this week. pleat post a note to tell the members do not pay for this GB any more. 29 of 30 was sold

Progress. 

mr_bill

« Reply #135 on: 20 Jun 2012, 08:34 pm »
Is anyone using upgraded fancy fuses in their NCore mono amps and is it even worth bothering?

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #136 on: 20 Jun 2012, 10:22 pm »
Wrap teflon plumber's tape 'round the OEM fuse and report back to class perceived change or lack thereof...after your Ncore amps are burned in (or "seasoned" like we say at primeVibe) for a few days. 

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
« Reply #137 on: 25 Jun 2012, 01:24 am »
It's Monday morning in China.  Got this about five minutes ago:

Not yet. We will receive them today, probably some can be shipped tomorrow.

Mike

"Tomorrow" = Tuesday in China, which starts Monday evening in the USA. 

santacore

« Reply #138 on: 25 Jun 2012, 02:47 am »
Nice, thanks James!! I'm really itching to build mine.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
Wake up! Mike needs your phone#!
« Reply #139 on: 25 Jun 2012, 05:37 am »
Email Mike your telephone immediately! 

Mike just emailed me:
Hi James

It's almost ready to ship now. But non of you send me the telephone number for shipping. Can you post to tell the buyers to send the telephone to me ASAP? the courier need it to delivery the package

Mike

First one to post image of two assembled working Ncore amps from this group buy wins....I don't know what...someone help me...