NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs

Captainhemo

Re: NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs
« Reply #60 on: 19 Aug 2020, 09:42 pm »
For clarification.

When I place my order for the studio speakers with Danny will this kit you machined will that be included? Or would I have to email you separately?

Yes,  as stated in that post  you  quoted, you  need to email me... email address in the   quoted  post.  However, this initial run of  10  are  long  gone,  we've  started a   list of  people  for  reserving  a pair from next  run.

I'd personally  glue them   up all at once and install the no-rez  through the   woofer cutout as I've done   in  numerous pairs of XLS  Encores.
If you  guys hang  on,  Peter is going to be   dooing a video of the  assembly   of these  cabinets to give   you  guys an idea of a method of gluing them up

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #61 on: 19 Aug 2020, 09:45 pm »
I plan to do it the same way SonicJoy did his build, with all the panels attached, except for one of the side panels.
You don't need to coat the insides unless they're going to be in a humid environment. It wont hurt anything if you do tho.

Just  a heads up... if you  are going to do that, be sure to   have the unglued panel in place when you   clamp up the rest of it... if you don't  you  may not get the  dividers and  brace to line up  perfectly   when you  go to   glue in the last  panel. 

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #62 on: 20 Aug 2020, 01:14 am »
Ye, I watched Peter's video on the dual OB sub towers and he did the same with the top surface. And that's going to be my plan for how I attach them, it might be easier to just flue them up all at once once I get the veneering done.

I ordered a couple sheets of quilted maple veneer, along with some deep red dye/stain and glue so I'll be doing some tests here pretty soon before i figure out how I want to best do this and get the look I want.

I think once the veneer is done and the front panel is painted, I want to coat the whole cabinet in a clear guitar laquer to maintain the theme surrounding the design.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #63 on: 20 Aug 2020, 03:26 am »
 I glued up first cabinet tonight. After puzzling over it for a while, I worked out a system to get it comfortably done in one go. This kit is really well thought out and deadly accurate. Assembled this way it makes for a highly integrated and strong structure.

It's clamp intensive as you can see. It will raise your woodworking game!

I think for video, I'll dry run it on camera, then take apart and final wet assemble, which I would absolutely recommend.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #64 on: 20 Aug 2020, 03:31 am »
Wait... Is that 12 clamps???  :o

WarmColors

« Reply #65 on: 20 Aug 2020, 04:42 am »
I know the price did go up a bit due to the introduction of the Copper bypass cap, but since the kit normally includes the front baffle, it might be a little cheaper for those that order a flatpack?

That said, I don't know off hand since i wont be ordering the kit till probably October or November once I figure out my plan for staining & sealing the veneer with some practice panels..
Current plan is a candy-red stained quilted maple, but I may go back to my original plan of a dark stained walnut if i can't get the red to look the way I want.

So without the front baffle from Danny the kit price will go down to 895?

uncola

« Reply #66 on: 20 Aug 2020, 09:14 am »
who that's buying a flat pack has 12 clamps though?   :duh:

Digi-G

« Reply #67 on: 20 Aug 2020, 12:20 pm »
I've got 12 clamps but I don't have a table saw or sophisticated enough wood tools to do a lot of the woodworking.  I sure can't do it as nice as the CNC cut flat packs!  I'm not sure that 12 (!) clamps would be essential though. (?)

mikeeastman

« Reply #68 on: 20 Aug 2020, 12:38 pm »
I was thinking of adding some additional internal bracing. I would use 3/4 “ Oak dowels running from the bottom to existing brace and the top to existing brace and glued to the sides.

The only down sides I can see is it would reduce the internal volume a little, but would it be enough to matter?  It would make it hard to install the X-over but as I always do external x-over not a problem.

So would the bracing be helpful or a waste of time?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #69 on: 20 Aug 2020, 02:54 pm »
I don't think it will add anything to the strength, just take up the airspace.
In Tyson's original review, he mentioned that the box was incredibly inert, & I think a lot of that is due go the slope, adding to the strength over a larger space than just along the top, and the other brace handles the rest of the frame.

RolandButcher

« Reply #70 on: 20 Aug 2020, 03:22 pm »
Has anyone built a pair of these bi-amped with an external active crossover?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #71 on: 20 Aug 2020, 03:27 pm »
I'm not aware of anyone that has, but I imagine its definitely possible.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #72 on: 20 Aug 2020, 04:04 pm »
Has anyone built a pair of these bi-amped with an external active crossover?

Danny prefers passive crossovers in his designs.

RonP

« Reply #73 on: 20 Aug 2020, 06:55 pm »
Wait... Is that 12 clamps???  :o

Heck he didn't even use all of them!  :D

WarmColors

« Reply #74 on: 22 Aug 2020, 09:45 pm »
Anybody know if Danny works on the weekends? I just called and got his voicemail. Danny has a life and should spent time with his family. I don't want to call back again in two hours and interrupt.

mikeeastman

« Reply #75 on: 23 Aug 2020, 12:48 am »
Danny has a lot going on right now, but if you leave a message or send an e-mail he will get back to you.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #76 on: 23 Aug 2020, 06:46 am »
Here's a link to assembly video.

https://youtu.be/CYrdScf9eyM

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #77 on: 23 Aug 2020, 01:13 pm »

'Nother great video, Peter!  :thumb:
I do have a question about veneer tho, should I wait to apply it after the box is assembled and flush trimmed with the router?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #78 on: 23 Aug 2020, 02:21 pm »
'Nother great video, Peter!  :thumb:
I do have a question about veneer tho, should I wait to apply it after the box is assembled and flush trimmed with the router?

I've given that some thought and I think there's at least a couple of possibilities. If you don't mind the +/-.025" edge of veneer standing proud on side of cabinet, veneer after flush trimming would work fine.

Another possibility would be to skinny up internal components by double the veneer+glue thickness and apply veneer prior to assembly. This would also require taking veneer+glue thickness off each inside edge of baffle side rabbets. and I think you'd want to mask off veneer to protect from glue goobers too. The back would be veneered after assembly. There would be another puzzle where sides meet baffle if you intend to veneer top edges and round over top edge to match vertical edges of baffle.

AlexH

« Reply #79 on: 23 Aug 2020, 04:15 pm »

Nicely done Peter. I like how you left the mistake with the miters in the video. I myself never make any mistakes  :roll:. My favorite saying when it comes to woodworking is "It ain't broke until you can't fix it"