NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs

Captainhemo

Re: Studio Monitor Flat Packs
« Reply #40 on: 12 Aug 2020, 09:58 pm »
I  think half   these are on their  way  now, some of you  should  receive them early  next  week.  Working on getting the rest  out.

We're  also  reserving pairs  from the next  run    now

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs
« Reply #41 on: 12 Aug 2020, 10:08 pm »
Mine is currently due to arrive Tuesday, glad I jumped on my pack early! :thumb:

mikeeastman

« Reply #42 on: 13 Aug 2020, 12:04 am »
Mines scheduled for Monday, thanks Jay and Don. :angel:

DeeJayBump

« Reply #43 on: 13 Aug 2020, 05:29 pm »
For those of you that flat-packs have shipped, what was shipping cost and to which part of the US? Thanks.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #44 on: 13 Aug 2020, 05:31 pm »
It was around $55 for shipping to Orlando.

DeeJayBump

« Reply #45 on: 13 Aug 2020, 05:45 pm »
Thanks, Hobbs.

Captainhemo

« Reply #46 on: 13 Aug 2020, 06:41 pm »
For those of you that flat-packs have shipped, what was shipping cost and to which part of the US? Thanks.

Box is  21"x21"x11"  and  weighs  50lbs.  Shipping costs are averaging around $55 - $65   ,  have  packs going to pretty  much  all 4 corners of US

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #47 on: 18 Aug 2020, 08:04 pm »
Just got the email that my flat pack arrived, I'll take come pics of it once i get home and do some dry fitting. :thumb:

Digi-G

« Reply #48 on: 18 Aug 2020, 08:53 pm »
Very interested in these (NX-Studio) but trying to get a handle on the pricing.  Is the following pricing correct?

NX Studio Monitor Flat Pack - $369
NX Studio Kit From Danny   - $895
+ Shipping

Thx,

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 18 Aug 2020, 09:10 pm »
Very interested in these (NX-Studio) but trying to get a handle on the pricing.  Is the following pricing correct?

NX Studio Monitor Flat Pack - $369
NX Studio Kit From Danny   - $895
+ Shipping

Thx,

I know the price did go up a bit due to the introduction of the Copper bypass cap, but since the kit normally includes the front baffle, it might be a little cheaper for those that order a flatpack?

That said, I don't know off hand since i wont be ordering the kit till probably October or November once I figure out my plan for staining & sealing the veneer with some practice panels..
Current plan is a candy-red stained quilted maple, but I may go back to my original plan of a dark stained walnut if i can't get the red to look the way I want.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 18 Aug 2020, 11:20 pm »
Okay! I'm home & have the flat pack out, its in perfect shape, plenty of soft foam on all sides to keep everything safe and in place.  Thr cuts are also super clean. :thumb:

I also test fit the BG Neo3 I have on hand, mostly To check the clearance and fitment. (Including the little 3D printed bars)

I also did a dry test fit for ideas on how best to assemble it.
Its probably a good idea once test fitment is done, to mark the bottom of the slope as well as each left and right panel to make sure I have their position and orientation correct when it comes time to properly glue them together. Cuz I put the slope in upside down & backwards the first time. :P

My next step will be to get some clamps, glue them together and seal them with shellac. (I assume its okay to put that on before i apply the veneer to the sides/back? Or only to the parts that will be painted?)

Thanks Jay for the flatpack! These are perfect! :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #51 on: 19 Aug 2020, 12:25 am »
Glad you like them and that they arrived safe and sound.

Yes, if you guys find the long, angled divider angles don't work, spin it around... only fits properly one way as the angle at the "bottom" is split with the angle on the rear of the  short brace (tweeter floor). Pretty hard to get the side panels backwards  :)

And, as I mentioned in an email, I did overlook something with these initial kits and will fix it in future runs....  you guys who got a pair of these will need to drill  a small hole in the short divider to pass the tweeter wires through... should not be a big deal.

jay

mikeeastman

« Reply #52 on: 19 Aug 2020, 12:41 am »

My flat pack arrived also, looks very well made. Did a quick dry fit of one speaker, this going to be very easy to put together. Nice work Jay and Don, but what I was really impressed with is the packing you guy must have spent more time figuring it out than you did on the speaker.
 :lol:

Captainhemo

« Reply #53 on: 19 Aug 2020, 12:45 am »
My flat pack arrived also, looks very well made. Did a quick dry fit of one speaker, this going to be very easy to put together. Nice work Jay and Don, but what I was really impressed with is the packing you guy must have spent more time figuring it out than you did on the speaker.
 :lol:

:wine:       packing   :thumb:

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #54 on: 19 Aug 2020, 01:07 am »
Ye, for my own sanity I still marked the slope & sides & it's directions, cuz I'd rather get it right the first time, esp once I'm ready to glue/clamp. :P

Not too worried about the missing wire holes, cuz I've got my own drill & bits. But it's definitely a good thing to point out to anyone who got this initial run.

Hoping to get the clamps & glue tomorrow & start getting them mostly assembled aside from a side panel so I can install the norez easily once it arrives, then focus on sealing the MDF and doing some research & practice passes for veneer, staining, sealing etc before I move onto apply those skills to the side & rear panels.

Argoncat

« Reply #55 on: 19 Aug 2020, 02:24 am »
I veneered the side panels BEFORE gluing up the enclosure (tip not my own but in SonicJoy's build notes).  Flush trimming the side / bottom panels would be impossible / difficult given the radius of the face frame and inaccessible flat face to use a flush trim (spiral down cut worked so much better than a straight cut) router bit.  Just tape off the panels to protect the veneer from glue squeeze out during glue-up / painting the front face.  I gave every surface 2 coats of shellac / 120 grit sand before glue up.  Using a high build automotive 2k primer (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3I2E8E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) really leveled out any variation in the base prior to paint with the use of a gray 3m fine abrasive pad. 

Good luck..

WarmColors

« Reply #56 on: 19 Aug 2020, 08:12 pm »
Ok,  we finally  cut the initial  run of these  ( 8 pairs remaining as I type this).   We'll cut more if  there is interest.  These came out really nice.. Rabbets for all outer panel joints,  dados for  internal bracing/divider  and a full rabbet around the top for the included grill frame.  Driver mounting screw pilot holes pre-drilled,   .5"   vertical  roundover on  front baffle edges and a nice  radius on rear  side of woofer cutout.A .125"  pilot hole  is pre-drilled in the grill frame for easy istallation of a small cabinet knob  if desired.

Baffles with waveguides and backside operations take considerable  time to cut, they are cut from   solid 1.5" MDF , same material as our  sub kits use.  Not  your typical box store  MDF
Remaining outer panels are  .75"  Medex  and  internal bracing/dividers and grill frame are .5" Medex. 

Boxes   were ordered this am so no final shipping  weight yet.
Price    is  $369/pair +  shjipping.

These will be sold in order   I receive emails  captainhemo@shaw.ca.     
NOTE,  you  need to  email me at the above address to confirm a pair

jay :beer:

For clarification.

When I place my order for the studio speakers with Danny will this kit you machined will that be included? Or would I have to email you separately?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 19 Aug 2020, 08:22 pm »
For clarification.

When I place my order for the studio speakers with Danny will this kit you machined will that be included? Or would I have to email you separately?

You have to email Jay separately to order the flat pack, and when you order the main kit you have to tell Danny you're getting one of Jay's flat pack, so you don't get an extra set of front baffles.

mikeeastman

« Reply #58 on: 19 Aug 2020, 09:06 pm »
Is there a recommended order to put the parts together. Someone said leave the back to last to install no-rez.

Should I seal the inside with white shellac also.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #59 on: 19 Aug 2020, 09:17 pm »
I plan to do it the same way SonicJoy did his build, with all the panels attached, except for one of the side panels.
You don't need to coat the insides unless they're going to be in a humid environment. It wont hurt anything if you do tho.