NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs

Captainhemo

Re: NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs
« Reply #80 on: 23 Aug 2020, 04:40 pm »
Here's a link to assembly video.

https://youtu.be/CYrdScf9eyM

Thanks   Peter,  awsome  job  again  :thumb:

An alternative to  Mike's suggestion of putting  a screw in the grill frame would be to just glue the magnet rigt in the frame ( I'd open the hole up to  .25"  and use a  .25x.25"  N52 cylinder magnet). Then the  cloth will be smooth right over  the top of it and  anytime you  need  to remove ,  just   "grab" with  anything  metal ( well most things),  no need to  find a magnet    each time.

jay

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #81 on: 23 Aug 2020, 04:57 pm »
Nicely done Peter. I like how you left the mistake with the miters in the video. I myself never make any mistakes  :roll:. My favorite saying when it comes to woodworking is "It ain't broke until you can't fix it"
That's why when I did my initial test fitting, I put the long slope in upside down and backwards before i realized the back panel and shelf didnt fit right. So I wrote on the bottom side of those pieces to remind myself the orientation. lol

WarmColors

« Reply #82 on: 23 Aug 2020, 07:34 pm »
Since this forum is very active and most of you have ordered the NX Studios I just want to confirm that all the bells and whistles are included on the purchase correct? I don't need to ask for the upgrades?

mikeeastman

« Reply #83 on: 23 Aug 2020, 08:01 pm »
The only thing that could be upgraded would be the resisters, inductors and caps in the x-over. Danny offer upgraded copper caps, the others you'd have to source else where.

I went with Dannys' copper caps and Alpha core resisters and foil inductors for my upgrades. Same upgrades I did on mySuper7s and they made a nice improvement.

Captainhemo

« Reply #84 on: 24 Aug 2020, 12:31 am »
You  can also get the  Gortz Foil inductors from Danny and  IMHO  ( did multiple  back and forths  with Jantzen  wax/paper foils)  are   just  as  good  as the  Jantzens but  far,  far  less expensive.

jay

ahmadie

« Reply #85 on: 5 Sep 2020, 12:37 pm »
Do you have nx studio flatpack in stock ? Thanks !

Captainhemo

« Reply #86 on: 6 Sep 2020, 09:17 pm »
Doing  another  run soon.
Email me  at the address at the bottom of 1st post in this thread  if you'd like to reserve  a pair.

jay

JonathanWalton7

« Reply #87 on: 12 Sep 2020, 02:04 pm »
Hey sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this.  Does anyone use these for studio work for mixing and or monitoring?  Any musicians or producers out there using these?  Would love some thoughts on their performance!

mkrawcz

« Reply #88 on: 12 Sep 2020, 02:22 pm »
Hey sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask this.  Does anyone use these for studio work for mixing and or monitoring?  Any musicians or producers out there using these?  Would love some thoughts on their performance!

Have not used them for that purpose but I doubt there is anything in the world that can best them. They are so resolving and coherent in the near field.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #89 on: 12 Sep 2020, 02:48 pm »
Not that I know off hand, but studio use is what they're designed for,
With the OB tweeter allowing for a spacious sound without having to worry about having the space required for a full OB setup.

Then with the quality of the internal components, even at the base level, I'd imagine they're impossible to beat in terms of clarity and detail.

Most studios will use a combination of monitors to estimate the final results on different setups. (tho that's more the job of mixing/mastering than recording/monitoring) but having something so revealing and detailed should allow for a better product down the line, (depending on the genre and severe dynamic compression that is so prevalent these days)

I'm excited to hopefully get mine built by the end of the year.

Spschmitt53

« Reply #90 on: 18 Sep 2020, 08:22 pm »
Just received the NX Studio flat pack from Jay, it is a thing of beauty! I am a high end painting contractor in Charlotte NC and I paint cabinets for cabinet builders. I showed one of them this flat pack and they said they didn’t know how Jay does it at that price! Besides being quality it is a huge time saver for those who don’t have a shop or the skills to do this. Just glue and go! Incredible value especially with Danny’s kit to go along with it, can you imagine what a mainstream speaker company would have to sell these speakers for?!?! Thanks Jay, awesome, can’t wait to hear them!

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #91 on: 18 Sep 2020, 08:28 pm »
  Good deal. Enjoy your build.

charles

hawkeyejw

« Reply #92 on: 18 Sep 2020, 09:26 pm »
Just received the NX Studio flat pack from Jay, it is a thing of beauty! I am a high end painting contractor in Charlotte NC and I paint cabinets for cabinet builders. I showed one of them this flat pack and they said they didn’t know how Jay does it at that price! Besides being quality it is a huge time saver for those who don’t have a shop or the skills to do this. Just glue and go! Incredible value especially with Danny’s kit to go along with it, can you imagine what a mainstream speaker company would have to sell these speakers for?!?! Thanks Jay, awesome, can’t wait to hear them!

Please post photos of your finished cabinets when you get there - given your profession I'm assuming they're going to look amazing!

Captainhemo

« Reply #93 on: 19 Sep 2020, 05:12 pm »

Appreciate  the feedback :beer:

For you  guys waiting, thanks for  being patient, more of the Studio Monitor kits are on the way  soon. 
We're actually  gaining ground on getting caught up on some  long over due orders

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #94 on: 20 Sep 2020, 02:15 am »
Here's a little teaser for what these flat packs can be. I'm going to do a little write up & photos on how this project unfolded, but will be a day or two. Maybe this will keep the fire burning...

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #95 on: 20 Sep 2020, 02:26 am »
Here's a little teaser for what these flat packs can be. I'm going to do a little write up & photos on how this project unfolded, but will be a day or two. Maybe this will keep the fire burning...

Fantastic work, Peter! I really love the understated look with the flat/matte black.
I'm really curious how you created the texture to the sizes/front around the tweeter.

persisting1

« Reply #96 on: 20 Sep 2020, 02:38 am »
Fantastic work, Peter! I really love the understated look with the flat/matte black.
I'm really curious how you created the texture to the sizes/front around the tweeter.

I agree. Impressive.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #97 on: 20 Sep 2020, 07:46 pm »
 :o

That is next level work. They look like professional studio monitors!

Well done!

AlexH

« Reply #98 on: 20 Sep 2020, 07:49 pm »
Killer as usual Peter.

RonP

« Reply #99 on: 21 Sep 2020, 12:51 am »