NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs

hawkeyejw

Re: NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs
« Reply #100 on: 21 Sep 2020, 01:50 am »
That is a really cool look! Very interested to see the write up.

ahmadie

« Reply #101 on: 21 Sep 2020, 02:51 am »
Killer as usual Peter.

So good looking  :o :o :o

nrenter

« Reply #102 on: 21 Sep 2020, 03:11 am »
I keep imagining that screening on the front and sides as a veneer inlay.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #103 on: 6 Oct 2020, 12:23 am »
I’ve had 2 pairs of X-LS.  Sold 1 pr and gave the other to my niece.  1 pr of X-CS.  Sold.  Kinda miss them.

I still have a pair of X-SLS and X-Omni as well as an X-Voce in storage because I’m in a smaller apartment than what I had a few years ago.

Currently running X-Statiks with a sealed servo sub in my living room and Super 7 in my main rig.

I would consider the studio monitors but really, I’m good.  :thumb:

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #104 on: 6 Oct 2020, 01:07 am »
I'm not quite sure what my plan will be for my XLS once my Studios are completed.. I may put the XLS in my father's bedroom, tho his bedroom receiver needs some TLC cuz it's easily 30 yrs old. It needs a good cleaning & probably have a couple small parts & some capacitors replaced. It has some connection and crackling issues that need attention, esp using the radio dial.

But I'll make sure they're put to good use one way or another tho.

Reveeb

« Reply #105 on: 19 Nov 2020, 07:36 pm »
Hi, Captainhemo,

I would like to order one “NX Studio” flat pack. How do I place the order.

Thanks!

Digi-G

« Reply #106 on: 23 Nov 2020, 07:04 pm »
Read the very first post of this thread.  There's an email address near the bottom of that post.

I ordered my flat pack and it's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Digi-G

« Reply #107 on: 25 Nov 2020, 10:26 pm »
So, I just received my Studio Monitor Flat Packs yesterday.  These are a very impressive set of parts.  The packaging is awesome and I don't have any issues with how they arrived.

I have a pretty good idea of how I'm going to finish these, but don't want to spill the beans just yet.  I also need to do a few trial things to decide exactly how I want the finishes.  Suffice it to say that Paint, Duratex and actually some other finishes will be incorporated.

The top edge of the front baffle seems to be sharp, as opposed to rounded over, on my baffles.  I assume many people are adding this round-over with a router, as many pictures I've seen here show it rounded.

I probably won't be able to get the electronics for these until tax return time, maybe February or so.  I hope everything is available then.

These are (or may be) replacing my B&W 805 bookshelf speakers, which I've had for 20+ years and have served me well.  I will probably move the B&W's to the rear to do surround duty (hehe, I said duty) and improve my surround system (considerably).  I do like surround music and we watch a lot of movies, utilizing this same system.

I like my current speakers but have been thinking for a while that the tweeter could be improved on.  It especially hit home when I noticed in my wife's car (2013 Chrysler Town & Country) that I'm hearing things with that stereo that I don't hear in my home system, especially with the uppermost highs.  Her system also confirmed to me that I actually CAN hear the those uppermost highs.  Lol.  Granted it could be some of my other electronics causing the issue (I'm looking at you late model Denon receiver), so some other upgrades are on the horizon.

Very excited!

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #108 on: 26 Nov 2020, 01:52 am »
You could check out the crossovers on the B&Ws and look for improvements there.  Particularly any caps in the tweeter circuit.

Digi-G

« Reply #109 on: 27 Nov 2020, 10:22 pm »
That's actually on my list.  I had thought about doing that before I decided to purchase the NX - Studios!   :thumb:

I actually started on my kit today.  Mostly, I got everything unpacked.  I decided to add a round-over to the top and bottom edges of the front baffle, so I got that done, using my seldom used router table.  It took me an hour and a half to make some guides and set it up - it took less than 10 minutes to actually round those edges.  But they look great and look like they came from (Jay's) factory that way.  And I glued up the angled top to the short shelf piece (per Peter's video).  I also primed/painted the interior surfaces just so they are sealed and not bare MDF.  Done for today... probably done for the weekend.

I'm going to need to get some supplies for some of the finishes I want to use.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #110 on: 27 Nov 2020, 11:48 pm »
That's actually on my list.  I had thought about doing that before I decided to purchase the NX - Studios!   :thumb:

I actually started on my kit today.  Mostly, I got everything unpacked.  I decided to add a round-over to the top and bottom edges of the front baffle, so I got that done, using my seldom used router table.  It took me an hour and a half to make some guides and set it up - it took less than 10 minutes to actually round those edges.  But they look great and look like they came from (Jay's) factory that way.  And I glued up the angled top to the short shelf piece (per Peter's video).  I also primed/painted the interior surfaces just so they are sealed and not bare MDF.  Done for today... probably done for the weekend.

I'm going to need to get some supplies for some of the finishes I want to use.

I did the same round-overs, but only on the top edge  but i appreciate that there's enough space for that option. Cuz it does look good esp once i sanded out some trouble spots from the router beinng set a little to high & digging into the face a little. tho a routing table would have definitely made the process a little easier.. lol

But im excited to see how your build turns out!  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #111 on: 4 Dec 2020, 05:54 pm »
We've been busy shipping out   kits from   the 2nd  run of these along with a lot of other  kits.  There are a few   people who have not responded  to   emails so,  we've got a couple kits  sitting here boxed, ready to ship if anyone is  wanting one.   Still a few pairs  left unboxed from  run
#2  as well.....

And,  we chose not  to add that rouindover   on the top feeling it was better  to leave it up to    you folks.... once it's there,  it  can't be taken away  ....

jay

Digi-G

« Reply #112 on: 8 Dec 2020, 11:09 pm »
I understand that everyone may not want the round-overs all around the front baffle - that wasn't meant as a criticism. If it wasn't for the finish I plan on doing I'm not sure I would have added it.  I'll explain that later.

I'm really hoping to work on it this coming weekend.  The next several weekend are pre-holiday, holiday and holiday.  Family and travelling.  Good things but won't give me an opportunity to work on my speakers.

Captainhemo

« Reply #113 on: 19 Jan 2021, 07:17 pm »
A few people backed out on  orders or aren't replying to emails so,  we have 3 pairs  of these left  from run  2.  They are boxed and ready to ship if anyone is wanting  a pair.
$379  and  $65   shipping for the  50lb  (21x21x11) box.

Email me at captainhemo at shaw.ca to  confirm a pair.

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #114 on: 20 Jan 2021, 02:54 am »
Looks like these  are  gone....  still waiting on confirmation  for  one pair sold  locally  but....

Contact me   if interested in    pairs from a subsequent  run

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #115 on: 2 Mar 2021, 01:10 am »
Here's some (I think) interesting stuff.  I'm assembling and prepping these for wrapping. Not being keen on using tapping screws to mount tweeters and questioning if I can thread a #4 machine screw into MDF effectively, I used screw-in inserts. I'm jazzed about the way that worked out. Also made some magnetic grills for fronts. Cabinets are clear sealed in preparation for wrapping.

Before cabinet assembly:

After assembly and sealing:

With and without grill:

jlucas

« Reply #116 on: 2 Mar 2021, 08:16 am »
Can you elaborate on the wrapping?

Digi-G

« Reply #117 on: 2 Mar 2021, 02:17 pm »
Lookin' good, Peter.

My Studio Monitors are coming along much slower than I had anticipated.  Part of the reason is I'm working in my unheated garage (save for a kerosene heater) and until recently, had pretty cold temps.

I'm curious why most tweeters I've seen for these are mounted with the connectors at the top.  Is that the only way the tweeter fits?

I like the threaded inserts, btw!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #118 on: 2 Mar 2021, 02:39 pm »
Concerning wrapping. The same material cars are wrapped with. Some is patterned off the roll, some can be printed on...photos, graphics etc. These are heading to Florida as you see them. I'm don't know what end look will be. I left a baffle at local shop for them to experiment with. The waveguide being the main concern. As far as I know it's kinda uncharted water for speakers.

Digi, conceivably one could mount with connectors at bottom, but the entry point I chose for wiring would make for some pretty awkward hookups to tweeter, so this is the path of least resistance. I imagine wiring sprouting out of  hole and going around tweeter to top.

Fltguy

« Reply #119 on: 3 Mar 2021, 03:07 pm »
Peter,

I like the the screw-in insert with socket cap machine screw. Did you use EZ Knife threaded stainless inserts for hardwood?   

Thank you for your detailed posts, I am taking notes as I await my flat pack for the Studio Monitors.

John :popcorn: