OB H Frame Sub and it's Connections

Fltguy

OB H Frame Sub and it's Connections
« on: 15 Apr 2022, 08:17 pm »
Last year I finished my NX Studio build and I am ecstatic with the sound and the appearance of these power houses.

Now, I am ready to take on the dual sub kit with the A370 amp. Before I purchase anything, I need to understand the hookup for my system.

My integrated amp has no pre-out or LFE. The Audio Research VSi-75 amp features only +/- for a left and right speaker output. If I use two subs, do I use only the left or right High Level In on that sub?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am having a hard time seeing the forest through all these trees.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2022, 09:12 pm by Fltguy »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: OB H Frame Sub and it's Connections
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2022, 12:35 am »
Last year I finished my NX Studio build and I am ecstatic with the sound and the appearance of these power houses.

Now, I am ready to take on the dual sub kit with the Rhythmik A370PEQ. Before I purchase anything, I need to understand the hookup for my system.

My integrated amp has no pre-out or LFE. The Audio Research integrated amp features only +/- for a left and right speaker output. If I use two subs (left and right), do I use only the left or right High Level In on that sub?

Thank you in advance for your help. I am having a hard time seeing the forest through all these trees.

Yes, without preouts you will need to use the high level inputs on the A370s. With two subs you have one for the left channel and one for the right channel. You connect them to the integrated amp with speaker cables just like the NX-Studios. Think bi-wire. There are two sets of speaker cables going from the integrated amp's binding posts to the speakers, two pair of speaker wires from the left binding posts and two pair of speaker wires from the right binding posts. From the left binding post, one pair (+ and -) go to the left NX-Studio and the other other pair (+ and -) to the left A370 amp.  From the integrated amp's right binding posts there are also two pair of speaker wires. One pair going to the right NX-Studio and the other to the right A370 amp.

Alternatively, you can daisy chain the speaker wires. With this method, one pair of speaker wires goes to the right A370 amp and a second pair of speaker wires goes from the right A370 to the right NX-Studio. Do the same for the left side.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2022, 01:03 am »
Another option is to get a y-splitter for the RCA output from your preamp.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2022, 01:09 am »
Another option is to get a y-splitter for the RCA output from your preamp.

The OP’s integrated doesn’t have any preamp or subwoofer outputs. Just binding posts so only high level connections are available

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2022, 04:16 am »
The OP’s integrated doesn’t have any preamp or subwoofer outputs. Just binding posts so only high level connections are available

Ah, I misunderstood.  Thanks for clarifying.  Yeah, in that case it'll have to be high level connections.

Captainhemo

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2022, 05:29 pm »
Thought   we had  this all cleared up on the phone  that  day ?
And, as I'd mentioned,   for best results,  use  an Isomax isolation Transformer ... you  can run  you  high level inputs into it then  XLR's out tothe  A370's line level inuts.
If you  don't  want to  pick up   the Iso Max,  just  run the   paralleled  speaker cables  as I and  Mike     explained

jay

Vince in TX

« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2022, 01:13 am »
Here’s a visual reference for the high-level connection in my setup.  They sound phenomenal.    :thumb:

Fltguy

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2022, 05:49 pm »
The picture is great for this visual mind. It’s exactly as Jay suggested.

My thanks for sharing the corporate knowledge.