Wood Clamping

HT1278

Wood Clamping
« on: 18 Apr 2022, 03:01 am »
I have built a pair of X-LS, and a pair of LGK's, and one X-OnWall.

What I realize each time I do the glue is that I don't know how to best clamp them.  Not sure if I am tightening the clamps so much that most of the glue comes out, having to clean glue and clamp at the same time, and then sanding because I put in too much glue. 

I have one more X-On wall, and X-CS to build.  The X-CS concerns me because of how many clamps should I use.

I have an idea since I don't have the wide cabinet clamps is to put small 1" x 2" pieces of wood between the clamps and the speaker cabinet to distribute force and use less clamps.  For me less clamps but enough clamps would make me happy.  Here are a few examples of my clamping so far. 

HT1278

Re: Wood Clamping
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2022, 03:04 am »
2nd pic

cjsailer

« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2022, 03:10 am »
With glue, less is more.  You're probably putting too much on.  You can get away with a very thin bead.  So I don't think anything is wrong with your clamping technique.

EdwardT

« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2022, 12:07 pm »
Nothing wrong with the clamping at all, although it’s good to keep in mind that you only need firm force and not gorilla level tightening to achieve the goal. And a tiny disposable paint brush helps distribute the glue before clamping. Also, a wet rag is handy to catch that squeeze out immediately and a sharp chisel will lift most dried glue beads without drama, also reduces the sanding where the glue clogs the grit.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2022, 05:38 pm »
Wipe off with a wet cloth immediately is the best method for me.