Power on a 9B-ST

sumo

Power on a 9B-ST
« on: 21 Sep 2004, 09:43 pm »
I'm currently using a 9B-ST (non THX) in my HT set, it doesn't have remote trigger to turn it on automatically whenever I turn on my pre.

If I hook the power cord from 9B to rear of my pre, whenever I turn on the pre, the 9B will also on immediately.

Would I cause any damage for the amp in long run ?

Do you know a way to work around it ?

Fife12

Power on a 9B-ST
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:01 pm »
Hook the amp straight into the wall for best performance.

I think this is what Bryston recommends too.

bubba966

Re: Power on a 9B-ST
« Reply #2 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:15 pm »
Quote from: sumo
If I hook the power cord from 9B to rear of my pre, whenever I turn on the pre, the 9B will also on immediately.

Most outlets on pre's/pro's that are like that are only rated for 100w or so. And your amp is certainly pulling more power than 100w.

Would I cause any damage for the amp in long run?

Not sure about damaging your amp. But running that kind of power through your pre isn't going to make it happy.

Do you know a way to work around it ?

How about just leaving your amp on all of the time?

sumo

Not an option !!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:57 pm »
Thanks for giving some thoughts.

Turn on all the time is absolutely NOT an option, I only use HT system for weekend, Friday and Saturday. It's kind of uncomfortable to look at all the green lights on without any signal going through.

I've heard of solution of buying a power center which has a delay power on, but I have no more room on the rack now.  If I do, I prefer to replace the 9B-ST by set of 2 3Bs and 1 2B, personally, I like the sound from the old, obsolete, beat-up 3B more much than 9B-ST.  I already prepared for this change some time ago, but can't carry it out, still undecide which piece has to go !!!

bubba966

Power on a 9B-ST
« Reply #4 on: 21 Sep 2004, 11:03 pm »
I see the 9B-SST has a 12v trigger. I wonder if Bryston can retrofit one in your 9B-ST?