Wilsenton R8 Tube amplifier

raelman

Wilsenton R8 Tube amplifier
« on: 14 Jan 2022, 07:46 am »
Reallyu don´t know if there will be some Wilsenton R8 owners but I am one of them and I can assure you cannot find anything better for $1K... not for much more.
My perfect setup is Svetlana KT88 C Winged power tubes and RCA 5691 + RCA 5692 tubes at pre and rectification.
I know RCA 5691/5692 tubes are highly expensive and difficult to find, but my whole system, tubes included is below $2K and it beats much more expensive monsters that I won't name to avoid polemics.
NOS RCA (Sylvania, GE or similar) 6SN7GTB/6SL7GT are not difficult to find not very expensive and will do a really good job as well

carusoracer

Re: Wilsenton R8 Tube amplifier
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jan 2022, 01:44 pm »
I have read some pretty good reviews about the unit. Great to someone here in AC has one. Contemplating buying one since their debut. 😎

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2022, 11:08 am »
Sounds like a great amp, but unfortunately way over C&C pricing guidelines.  We have a maximum total system cost of $1,000.  No problem though, I'll move it over to the Tube-O-Phile circle for you.  I'll leave a redirect up for a week or so insuring your post won't get lost.  It takes a couple posts to get used to the set up here, but it'll be second nature in no time.

Here's the guidelines: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=71233.0

genjamon

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2022, 05:26 pm »
Have looked at the Wilsenton before with interest based on some positive review threads online.  Another amp in a similar price bracket that is often compared to the Wilsenton R8 is the Muzishare X7, which supposedly is made by the same folks as manufacture the Line Magnetic and may share some of the same internal components. 

Can you share more information about the rest of your system and your listening preferences?  i understand you don't want to directly compare the Wilsenton to other more expensive amps, but can you share any information about other amps you've owned or heard so we can have a sense of the context of your impressions?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2022, 05:52 pm »
Hi Raelman
this amp are point tô point solid wiring or PCB?
Say us anything about the OPTs?
Thanks

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jan 2022, 02:42 am »
Hey!

https://www.amazon.com/Willsenton-R8-Integrated-Amplifier-Headphone/dp/B08133TH98/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B08133TH98&th=1

For $1450 in the US with free shipping on Amazon I have to say it looks impressive, especially the silver one. I've noticed this going around the net and YouTube lately... yeah, being in lock down most of the last year got me watching those audio stuffs on YouTube.

I had a conversation with my audio friend about how audio stuffs cost these days, especially the cost of tube equipment. I told him that China will have a good chunk of the market in tube equipment of $3000 and below. To make something like that in the US with point to point wiring will be too costly. Compared to little class D on PCB, tube amp like that take forever to make. Tube technology is a matured technology and it is now about who can make quality and reliable tube stuffs at a cheaper price. 

By the way.... I see in the spec listed frequency responds as "10Hz 40kHz (+/-0.5db) " if that is true then that would be very impressive and better than the output transformers in my SET amps!

OK, I want to make it clear that I'm not knocking on Chinese made stuffs here. There are some great stuffs coming out from there in recent years. I'm still using my little $40 TDA1543 DAC kit that I got years ago from China. So, with that... I'm a tube kinda guy so it is good to see more affordable tube stuffs so more people can enjoy the sound of tubes.

Anyway, if anyone have this amp or something similar in NYC and don't mind me checking it out please let me know, I am very curious about this.

Buddy

catr

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2022, 11:19 am »
Hey!

https://www.amazon.com/Willsenton-R8-Integrated-Amplifier-Headphone/dp/B08133TH98/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B08133TH98&th=1

For $1450 in the US with free shipping on Amazon I have to say it looks impressive, especially the silver one. I've noticed this going around the net and YouTube lately... yeah, being in lock down most of the last year got me watching those audio stuffs on YouTube.

I had a conversation with my audio friend about how audio stuffs cost these days, especially the cost of tube equipment. I told him that China will have a good chunk of the market in tube equipment of $3000 and below. To make something like that in the US with point to point wiring will be too costly. Compared to little class D on PCB, tube amp like that take forever to make. Tube technology is a matured technology and it is now about who can make quality and reliable tube stuffs at a cheaper price. 

By the way.... I see in the spec listed frequency responds as "10Hz 40kHz (+/-0.5db) " if that is true then that would be very impressive and better than the output transformers in my SET amps!

OK, I want to make it clear that I'm not knocking on Chinese made stuffs here. There are some great stuffs coming out from there in recent years. I'm still using my little $40 TDA1543 DAC kit that I got years ago from China. So, with that... I'm a tube kinda guy so it is good to see more affordable tube stuffs so more people can enjoy the sound of tubes.

Anyway, if anyone have this amp or something similar in NYC and don't mind me checking it out please let me know, I am very curious about this.

Buddy

point to point in a chinese tube amp can go for as low as US$100 before shipping. and are built pretty good. mine does not have brand name, fortunately or not, but still...

Prisoner

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2022, 05:53 pm »
I'm very curious about this amplifier.  It could also be a good candidate to play with coupling caps and tweak the sound to one's preferences. 

carusoracer

« Reply #8 on: 1 Feb 2023, 05:46 pm »
Looking to the 300B model. Any end users out there or reports, ie build quality, sound, reliability, etc.

Thanks!

Woodsage

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 2 Feb 2023, 01:08 am »
I’ve enjoyed the R8 for a couple years now, it’s a solid AB amp. I too prefer KT88’s over EL34’s or KT77’s.

Skunkie has a bunch of mods for this amp now which I am fixing to implement. I did her mods on my Reisong A10 and it made a rather bad sounding amp sound pretty darn good.

Here’s a link to the playlist of the various R8 mods:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtEhh3UpOsiCR4HnD51ZJicoeqWi9dyoC