Jeff's SoundScape 8's in spalted beeswing makore

jsalk

Jeff's SoundScape 8's in spalted beeswing makore
« on: 3 Sep 2012, 06:43 pm »
Jeff wanted SoundScape 8's in a warm darkish-brown finish. 
I suggested he look at this marvelous batch of spalted beeswing makore we had run across. 
While perhaps a bit more subtle than some of the finishes we have done lately, I think this wood is spectacular.

The company that sliced the veneer said that in 60 years, they had never seen makore quite like this.  I sure haven't.

Here is a picture...

And a close-up...

Happy listening Jeff!

- Jim

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Jeff's SoundScape 8's in spalted beeswing makore
« Reply #1 on: 3 Sep 2012, 06:49 pm »
Those are gorgeous, Jim. Very, very fine, indeed.  :thumb:

Austin08

« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2012, 08:44 pm »
Nice, congra Jeff.

DBeistel

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2012, 10:54 pm »
Very nice; about a third of the way down on the close up it looks like there is a  fox face.

Nuance

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2012, 11:12 pm »
^ It does look like a fox, probably because those are some foxy speakers; they look great!  Congrats, Jeff, and welcome to the Salk family. 

saeyedoc

« Reply #5 on: 4 Sep 2012, 12:53 am »
Nice! The big brother to my spalted beeswing makore SCSTs.

Kwebb

« Reply #6 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:43 am »
Very nice indeed!  Enjoy!

Kyle

stlblues

« Reply #7 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:06 pm »
And the hits keep coming. Beautiful :thumb:

Thanksgramps

« Reply #8 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:19 pm »
Thank you all, and especially to Jim and the crew in Detroit.  I'm still adjusting to the fact that these speakers are actually on their way to my house, and that they will be in my living room in less than a week.  It's really hard to believe they are mine.  This is the most excited I've been in a very long time.  Just based on the pictures, they turned out better than I had hoped for.  It will be great to be part of this tremendous Salk community.

When I was in college about 20 years ago, I went to a local stereo store in Flint MI that was going out of business, and bought my first "non-boombox".  I listened to their higher end stuff (Levinson + Theil) and fell in love with what recorded audio could do to your soul.  Being a college kid, I used my summer savings to buy what I could afford: a set of bottom of the line adcom separates (60 w/ch), a Nakamichi cd player (that lasted about 5 years) and a pair of Polk Monitor 5.  Whole thing cost me about $800. Well, 20 years later and I'm still living with that college stereo.  The upgrade is:
Adcom + NAD CD player --> PS Audio PWD MK2 streaming flac from my home server + a pair of NCore monoblocks.  Polk M5 --> Salk SS8.  Room treatments, power cords and maestro outlets are still coming.

The room is 12x20 with 8 foot ceilings, and it's decorated for living, with a fireplace, no TV and a large bay window to the woods behind the house. 

This is seriosly going to cut into my football watching this fall.

To Saeyedoc - These are the other half of the batch, spalted bees-wing Makore, from your speakers.  Jim recommended them based on how well your speakers came out.  When I saw your SCSTs, I knew I had to get on board.  If I ever sell, or you ever sell, we should talk to each other first - imagine this set in a home theater!

saeyedoc

« Reply #9 on: 4 Sep 2012, 03:28 pm »

To Saeyedoc - These are the other half of the batch, spalted bees-wing Makore, from your speakers.  Jim recommended them based on how well your speakers came out.  When I saw your SCSTs, I knew I had to get on board.  If I ever sell, or you ever sell, we should talk to each other first - imagine this set in a home theater!
Yes, they would be quite the set.
The veneer is so mesmerizing, there's all kinds of images going on.

Johnbr

« Reply #10 on: 4 Sep 2012, 11:19 pm »
Yes that veneer is a killer. :P

(W)KRP

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2012, 05:51 am »
That finish is special.
« Last Edit: 1 Feb 2013, 05:12 am by (W)KRP »