Bendix 6900s in SWL 9.0 SE w/tube rectified power supply

rlmacklin

I received my ModWright SWL 9.0 SE linestage back one week ago after upgrade with tube rectified power supply.  I find the improvements from the tube rectified power supply to be much as in Dan's statement and findings of folks in another thread.

[Modified to clarify] For most of the time (well over a year) that I have owned the ModWright linestage, I have run Bendix 6900 tubes.

I did not send my Bendix 6900s (or any other tubes) in the unit when returned to Dan for the power supply upgrade.  He returned it with two JAN Philips 5687s in the tube sockets.  I first removed these and replaced with the original JAN Philips 5687s which were already "broken in" and ran these for two days, then I ran the previously broken in Tung-Sol 5687s (non-cryoed) which I had ordered from Dan within a day of first purchasing the unit over a year ago.   I preferred the Tung-Sols (as before) to the JAN Philips. Someone in the "tube-rolling" thread said most folks have "settled on the cryoed TungSol 5687s."

I next inserted the [well broken-in] Bendix 6900s in the ModWright and have used these for the last three days.
To my ears the system synergy using the Bendix 6900s and the tube rectified power supply achieves a significantly increased "gap"  over the TungSol 5687s than they did in the stock ModWright SWL 9.0 SE (with other components as described below).

To any who have spent the $500 (plus shipping) for the tube rectified power supply upgrade to your ModWright linestage, I highly recommend trying some Bendix 6900s in it if at all possible.
I hear additional clarity, detail, focus, and frequency extension in bass and treble (beyond the TungSol 5687s).  Neutral, tight, and full ... certainly not at all "sterile."
There's no way my ears will let me "go back..."

2-channel system:
Denon-3910 (stock) -> Grover S ICs ->ModWright SWL 9.0SE with tube rectified power supply -> Grover S ICs -> 2 x Odyssey Extreme Monoblock SE (Klaus's "special board" edition) -> Grover S bi-wire speaker cables -> Polk Audio SDA-SRS2 loudspeakers.
All power cords are Black Sand Violet Z1.

« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2007, 09:25 pm by rlmacklin »

alotaklipsch

Re: Bendix 6900s in SWL 9.0 SE w/tube rectified power supply
« Reply #1 on: 7 Mar 2007, 09:15 pm »
I AM IN TOTAL AGREEMENT, THE 6900 IS ONE OF THE MOST LINEAR TUBES EVER MADE, AND LASTS FOREVER :drool:, I WAS POSTING ON THESE TUBES/W DAN'S EQ FOR A FEW YAERS ALREADY....ENJOY :thumb:

rlmacklin

« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2007, 09:30 pm »
I would certainly be interested to hear of anyone's results of "tube rolling" other 5AR4 than the Sovtek in the tube rectified power supply in SWL 9.0 SE when using Bendix 6900s.

Haven't found any better supply/pricing re 6900s... :(

highland_dave

« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2007, 10:22 pm »
I am using a Mullard Blackburn 5AR4 together with tungsol 5687s in my SWL 9.0 SE.  I get sound that is more detailed, smoother, and with a wider soundstage as compared to the stock Sovtek.  The upgrade to a tube rectified power supply is definitely worth it. 

For a treat listen to Johnny Cash's cover of NIN's Hurt with the Mullard in place.  The tube seems to handle the volume peaks remarkably well without overloading.  Looks like I'll need to start looking for some Bendix 6900s.

Normanality

« Reply #4 on: 7 Mar 2007, 11:47 pm »
I have a couple sets of the Bendix 6900's and absolutely love them in my Sony 9100 Platinum.

However, when I use them in both the Dan's modded Sony along with my SWL 9.0 SE with tube rectified power supply (Mullard 5AR4)
I experience far too much high frequency energy and it overwhelms the tight bass.

My best combo so far is with the Bendix 6900's in the Sony and Sylvania GB-5687's in the preamp.  I get crystal clear sonics with superb dynamics.

I'll keep my extra set of Bendix as backups for the Sony.

mtodde

« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2007, 12:23 am »
I'm using the cryoed Raytheon/Tungsol NOS Kuhl Tube 5687s from Tube world and a Mullard Blackburn 5AR4 w/ the black fat bass.  Things are sound liquid...in a good way. 

gerbie

« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2007, 02:43 am »
I bought my Sony 9100 Platinum few months ago directly from Dan.  What a great guy!!!

After a month of running-in with the stock 5687 and 5AR4, I put in a pair of Bendix 6900 (from Ebay) on the SONY then Miniwatt Metal base on the PSU.  The sound is making a triple-jump vs the stock tubes.  Then I replaced the Miniwatt with a Mullard BIG Black Base, I immediately love the Mullard over the Phillip. I made another final touch and seems no one is mentioning it, I changed the stock fuse to HIFI Tuning fuse.  The bass became tighter and 5% more. I used the 2A fuse the first time, and blown it after 1 week, then Dan advised to use 3A and since then I am one of the many happy listener, Currently I am still running the same setup, happily listening to my CD/SACD collections every night after work. 

My next project is checking out Dan's new phono stage.... aa

CD/SACD : DW Sony 9100 Phatinium
AMP : ASR Exculsive I (HP is using EX II)
Speaker : Theil 2.4 with Ebony skin
Turntable : VPI Aries 3 Blacknight with VPI 9 tonearm (on order)

alotaklipsch

« Reply #7 on: 8 Mar 2007, 05:55 am »
$375/pair on E-Bay. Do you have a source with better pricing?

BTW, I presently use Sylvania GB-5687 in my Modwright Sony 999ES Signature Platinum with tube recitified power supply (with Mullard Blackburn 5AR4), and I used them also in my Modwright SWL9.0SE. I prefer them to Tung Sols by a large margin.

Yeah, I have an extra pair for you, as usual :o :duh: :drool:

HumanMedia

« Reply #8 on: 11 Mar 2007, 08:48 pm »
And if I am not mistaken the only Bendix 6900 I have seen on Ebay are the MU brand ones which are described as sounding a bit hifi-ish, a bit cold and toppy.  The non-MU branded ones (the good ones) are quite rare but are available from a couple of online stores at almost double the prices quoted here.  Although with the warmer midrange of the tube rectified power supply, it might make the MU 6900's a little more of a match.

alotaklipsch

« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2007, 11:41 pm »
And if I am not mistaken the only Bendix 6900 I have seen on Ebay are the MU brand ones which are described as sounding a bit hifi-ish, a bit cold and toppy.  The non-MU branded ones (the good ones) are quite rare but are available from a couple of online stores at almost double the prices quoted here.  Although with the warmer midrange of the tube rectified power supply, it might make the MU 6900's a little more of a match.

They are all the same, I have 3 pair, bendix, MU, and Tung sol, all pretty much the same :duh:I would definately NOT call MU inferior, in fact I had 2 pair of MU, 1 gold pin, and 1 steel, they sounded the same too.  MY system is VERY revealing. :icon_twisted:

SCompRacer

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2007, 05:42 am »
The 6900 is a rugged version of the 5687 and was developed for the US Air Force by the Bendix Corporation of Red Bank, New Jersey.  In the 1960s, the division and remaining stock were purchased and re branded by MU Engineering. MU continued to manufacture small amounts of them to original specs with Bendix tooling at their Oceanside, California, plant. 

The 6900 is a highly detailed and dynamic tube but can be bright in some systems.  Norm and I purchased ours from underthesun61 on eBay.  I know those folks from my racing days and they are good people to deal with.  I have a pair of MU 6900 in my ModWright 9100ES, but don't care for them in the SWL 9.0SE pre amp.  My favs in there are the Sylvania GB5687's.

Eric

« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2007, 05:11 pm »
I am using 6900's in my 3910 along with a NOS tube in the power supply and love it

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2007, 06:04 pm »
Try Andy at Vintage Tube Services!

he might be able to help you and hes a great guy!

www.vintagetubeservices.com

Tell him we sent you and good luck on the hunt...

One last thing, Andy is more of a phone guy
than an email guy.  If you email him, he might
take a week or two to get back to you.  But
if you call him, he'll get to you right away!!

AB

« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2007, 10:55 pm »
Group buy? Did someone say group buy?

I coulda sworn I heard someone say group buy...