"Do not connect with no signal" doubt.

Caar

"Do not connect with no signal" doubt.
« on: 1 Jul 2009, 07:45 am »
Hi Jason,
I have the Ref9SEV2 that are recommended to be powered on, let us say 30 minutes, before the listening session in order to get the best sound. That's what I do.So, for at least 30 minutes, amplifiers are on but without signal.
Also I have the MCH-3SE-C7 that the manual recommends to turn off channels that will have no signal.Sometimes, while watching Blu-ray 5.1 HD, I forget to turn off channels 1 and 7.
Isn't there a contradiction having in mind that the amplifier modules in MCH-3SE-C7 are Ref9SEV2?
This is troubling me. Please clarify.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: "Do not connect with no signal" doubt.
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jul 2009, 11:59 am »
I didn't see any contradiction. The recommendation of "warming up" to get the best performance (I don't think we specifically recommended that but a few minutes of warming up is what many audiophiles preferred) doesn't conflict with the recommendation of switching off unused MCH channels.

If you don't turn off channels 1 and 7 and there is no signal, they are just there consuming total of <30W idling power. Music power surge (you can't continuously listen to 100W) is supplied mostly by the reserve power from the capacitors so even if you are wasting some power, it shouldn't affect the performance of other amp modules.
The amp could overheat (and then temporary shutdown) if the speaker load is not present so we recommend that you turn off unused channels (but if the load is there without signal, it's ok).

Caar

Re: "Do not connect with no signal" doubt.
« Reply #2 on: 1 Jul 2009, 12:08 pm »
Thanks Jason.
The load is always there indeed, only signal sometimes is missing due to my distraction.