Ifi dc blocker

NoDisco

Ifi dc blocker
« on: 23 Nov 2021, 11:45 pm »
So I have one of these handy devices. I have Manley snappers and a woo audio headphone amp that I use as a pre. With the device in my system, startups are quieter, and I have a lower noise floor at my speakers. In fact when I kick over my snappers, I wonder if they’re plugged in. My only challenge is that the device seems to lower the gain of my preamp…by a lot. I’ve experimented with this several times, and at one point forgot I had it plugged in and wondered what happened to my gain. Strangely enough, I have it plugged into a sub and it seems to exert a system-wide noise lowering effect as well. More experiments observations to validate this though.

Any thoughts on why my gain would take a dive at the pre?

iFi David

• iFi audio NEO Stream is here!
    • iFi audio
Re: Ifi dc blocker
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2021, 10:04 am »
So I have one of these handy devices. I have Manley snappers and a woo audio headphone amp that I use as a pre. With the device in my system, startups are quieter, and I have a lower noise floor at my speakers. In fact when I kick over my snappers, I wonder if they’re plugged in. My only challenge is that the device seems to lower the gain of my preamp…by a lot. I’ve experimented with this several times, and at one point forgot I had it plugged in and wondered what happened to my gain. Strangely enough, I have it plugged into a sub and it seems to exert a system-wide noise lowering effect as well. More experiments observations to validate this though.

Any thoughts on why my gain would take a dive at the pre?

I think that it would be best to ask the manufacturer of your pre, as in: whether there are any contraindications to use DC blockers with it.

NoDisco

Re: Ifi dc blocker
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2021, 03:03 pm »
I think it’s pretty clear there is a contraindication for the WA22. But thanks for the response. Experimenting with it with other locations in signal chain. BTW the Woo pulls only 3.15 amps from the wall. I got mine on a deep discount, so the value is still pretty high. Mileage always varies….