1972 Stereo Mag

Chico Jim

• Trust your ears

WGH

Re: 1972 Stereo Mag
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2018, 02:58 pm »
That's a good read, I used to have the ADC-XLM cartridge and an original Rectilinear speaker seen in the ads but I'm not nostalgic, current cartridges and speakers are a lot better. The 'For Sale' section is great, I wonder if those JBL Hartsfield speakers are still available for $1500?

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2018, 03:04 pm »
Good find; thanks. As I recall, Stereo Review, High Fidelity, and Audio magazines were the 'Big Three', whilst a few kooks followed this offbeat thing called Stereophile.

I also note the inclusion of some info on the Dynaquad system by Dynaco engineer Erno Borbely, which I hadn't seen in 1,000,000 years. Thanks!
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2018, 04:27 pm by dB Cooper »

ASMAN

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2018, 01:51 pm »
A great read.
I had the Garrard Zero 100 table, thought it was great, looks really clunky now.
Also had had four Bose 501's in a quad setup with an Harman Kardon quad receiver that used a joystick for balance control, thought I had hit the big time!

Thanks for the post, I loved it.

Audioblast

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2018, 06:34 pm »
So much fun looking through old mags especially the ads

Mike B.

« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2018, 09:22 pm »
Yes, the ADC-XLM cartridge was my favorite back then. Then it was Sonus. I took Stereophile when it was a half size magazine published infrequently in Pennsylvania. I still have them in a box stored in the garage. I thought Audio was the best of the mass published periodicals back then. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 9 Nov 2018, 09:49 pm »
Too many memories... Thanks for posting, appreciated.

wushuliu

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2018, 02:48 am »
Lol. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Thanks for this. It just emphasizes how much effort is spent chasing the dragon. The marketing in particular. Coaxial headphones? Eh. Someone will probably bring that back.

orthobiz

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2018, 06:44 pm »
Enjoyed it. In an era of limited funds, I basically only read Stereo Review. And looking at the three sentence mashup reviews of "everything" current by Sherwood Weingarten I can see why. Wasn't into classical and the parenthetical rock reviews would have driven me nuts. Give me Steve Simels and even Parke Peterborough (or whatever his name was) anytime.

Paul