Paul Hynes SR3-18 for Sale

Rym

Paul Hynes SR3-18 for Sale
« on: 9 Jun 2012, 05:15 pm »
For those of you who might be interested in a 18VDC p/s (AC/DC), here's a unique chance to get a pre-owned (well burnt-in, for those who value that!) about 1+year "used" (ca. 500hrs). Excellent results with the Antelope Zodiac DACs, as an example.

Paul agreed that I could post this here, as he knows what is up for Sale here  :)

Rym

mgoris

Re: Paul Hynes SR3-18 for Sale
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2012, 09:53 am »
could it set up for 9 v?
I need a sr3 for a weiss int 202.
Sorry my poor english, i´m from spain.
Let me know.
Regards

Rym

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2012, 07:35 pm »
Should be possible, but Paul is the best guy to confirm it. And as he is so difficult to reach these days, I am afraid, we are simply going to have to wait for him to comment on it. Sorry, Rym

Gopher

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2012, 08:06 pm »
Can this be used for a Macmini?  What is your asking price?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2012, 09:21 pm »
Can this be used for a Macmini? 
No

boblloyd

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2012, 01:30 pm »
I think that "No" in the last post could read "Maybe".

Somewhere in his current backlog Paul is working on an SR3-15 for me to do exactly that!

However, it depends very much what sort of load you put on to the Mini. Mine is minimal- I use it only as an audio device, and a) it has an SSD in place of the HDD, b) the Wi-Fi/bluetooth gear has been removed. (If you want to know why, see Item Audio's site).

I have made a string of measurements, and for anything I want it runs well below 2A at 15v. The measurements are hard/impossible to do with the standard Mac white brick supply unless you break into the cable, but if you use a different supply you can get a useable cable with the Mini plug from Carnetix- it does not have a shield connection, but that is not essential.

Item Audio do a very cheap 4A linear supply to go with  their modified Mini. It's made by Rapid Electronics, and you can get it even cheaper elsewhere- I have found it ideal for playing around to check out what I needed, and yes, the audio is better than with the white brick- that's what encouraged me to go for an SR3.

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2012, 05:16 pm »
mgoris

The SR3 power supply transformer and capacitors are optimised for specific voltage use and whilst it would be possible to set the SR3-18 to 9v the output current should be restricted to less than 600ma for thermal reasons. The INT202 specifies 8-12vdc @ 0.2A so this should be fine.

Regards
Paul

mgoris

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2012, 12:35 pm »
Thanks Paul, could i set it 9 or 12 v by myself?
Which is better for the weiss ? 9 or 12 v ?
Thanks

rodge827

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2012, 04:52 pm »
Rym,

Has the SR3-18 been sold?

If not can it be converted to 12v by Paul or is there someone on AC who can do it?

What is your asking price and where are you located?

Chris

Rym

« Reply #9 on: 15 Aug 2012, 09:24 pm »
Sorry for the delayed answer Chris. No, the p/s are still here. I am in EU, so input is 230V. As fo rthe output, it is set for 18V, but I am sure Paul will instruct if it needs to be changed to 12V, but I would ask him first if that is possible. Where are you located ?
Rym

Paul Hynes

• Facilitator
    • http://www.paulhynesdesign.com
« Reply #10 on: 16 Aug 2012, 11:13 am »
Sorry for the delay replying folks. I have been on holiday and it has been very busy on my return.

Setting the SR3-18 to a lower voltage requires the replacement of a surface mount resistor. If you are comfortable with doing this I can advise you how to do it. You should restrict the use to light duty loads so as not to overheat the regulator output stage because of the increased voltage across this device. 12v 600ma will be fine. If you need more current then the mains transformer will have to be changed. This is a little more involved but anyone with reasonable DIY experience should be able to do this.

The mains input voltage can be selected internally and I can walk you through this as well.

Paul

fukunchn

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2013, 09:42 pm »
still for sale?

wisnon

« Reply #12 on: 1 Mar 2013, 01:21 pm »
I dont think so. I tried contacting him 3 weeks ago with no response.