Anyone else here building the NX Studio Monitors?

Sonicjoy

Re: Anyone else here building the NX Studio Monitors?
« Reply #20 on: 11 Mar 2020, 08:35 pm »
Saving up for it! Looks like it'll be a project for summer vacation, though. Your pics of the build looks beautiful btw!

Thanks for the comments! These are indeed very special speakers.

Danny Richie

« Reply #21 on: 12 Mar 2020, 11:27 pm »
We shipped out quite a few of these lately.

I even sold out of baffles. More are being cut now. Hopefully I can pick some of them up tomorrow.

I have two more kits to get out.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #22 on: 12 Mar 2020, 11:35 pm »
Glad to hear it Danny! Hopefully some more build threads will start showing up soon.

nickd

« Reply #23 on: 13 Mar 2020, 02:23 am »
I have not come across the X-omni's. Didn't see them on Danny's site.

The X-Omni is a great surround speaker. My son and I both use them in our theaters. He uses my old X-Statik’s up front and a Hsu sub. In 4.1 configuration.  Crazy good for the money. Mine are in a higher end dedicated 7.1 theater. They are never the weak link back behind the seats. Here to stay  :D

Sonicjoy

« Reply #24 on: 13 Mar 2020, 02:46 pm »
Cool! Glad you are enjoying them.

hifibuff

« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2020, 11:46 pm »
I wonder how the Studio Monitors would work with Wedgie triple 8 woofers. This would keep a narrow profile.

hifibuff

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2020, 12:23 am »
I wonder how the Studio Monitors would work with Wedgie triple 8 woofers. This would keep a narrow profile.

hifibuff

They would work well. Unfortunately, those drivers are no longer available. However, you can do the same thing with two of the 12" drivers.

I've built both triple 8s and dual 12s. I'd much rather have the dual 12s. IMO dual 12s in H-Frame cabinets have more output than when in wedge shaped cabinets. However, these cabinets were built to fit the Wedgies and as such are only about 5" across the front. If built to fit the Studio Monitors, the wedge cabs would be 8-1/2" across the front. This would make the rear opening considerably larger and might contribute to more output.
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2020, 04:13 am by mlundy57 »

Sonicjoy

« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2020, 02:22 pm »
Those are beautiful subs Mike! Love the burl.

So I have been listening to the the Studio's with my Vandersteen 2wq subs for the last couple days. I have the subs placed just inboard of the speakers on the same plane. That is my preferred position in this room. This is proving to be a great combo! The Studio's having a box lower section blend very well with great box subs it turns out. I have not heard Danny's OB subs yet so I can't speak to that combo but I can say that they also blend excellently with good box subs so they should be very versatile in that regard. Now the Vandy subs are very good music subs! They use 3 down firing 8" drivers slot loaded in a sealed box and use adjustable high pass filters in front of the amps to roll off the lowest frequency's  before they get to the main amp/ speakers. They get their signal from the speaker outs of the main amps. The subs internal amps have a matching curve that restores the lows to the sub drivers (that are rolled off by the filters).  It's a great system that gives the subs the sonic signature of the main amps and make for excellent integration with the speakers.

This is sounding wonderful and has taken the Studios to a new level and allowed the mids and upper bass to be cleaner and smoother.

Very nice indeed!